What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody used Stonington Blend?

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I saw SailorMoses had a beautiful grow using this and tapwater so I picked up a couple bags on sale. Anybody else have any experience with this stuff? Threw a liberty haze in some with a smart pot and it's already sprouted 2 days later.
Before I saturated the soil the first time, I saw a tiny, brown bug crawling on the surface, anybody know what that was? I couldn't get my camera to focus on it, it was tiny, like a grain of rice was bigger easily. I haven't noticed any since that watering, but I'm worried to put it into my grow tent proper if there are bugs. I'm pretty sure if I put this outside, the soil has so much yummy stuff in it for the bugs it will get infested instantly.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I havent used the Stonington blend ( not available in these parts) but their lobster compost is good stuff.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I had to move two plants growing in coco out of my tent and I ended up putting them in upsized pots filled with the Stonington Blend. Thought I could maybe knock some coco out of the roots, but they were originally growing in airpots so it's just one huge fibrous root mass and even after shaking and poking a bit I lost minimal coco. Put a good 4 inches on the bottom of the blend and then filled all the air gaps on the sides of the pot, another inch or two on top. This was two and a half weeks ago and I haven't noticed any problems with them yet, hoping they will finish flowering with enough nutrients provided by the blend. They do smell incredible though.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm planning on growing a few plants using the stonington soil and plant food. I know this threads old but just wondering what you guys think about it compared to Fox Farm stuff or Promix ???? But can't wait to test it out in a few weeks :tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I liked it my biggest issue was cost of shipping and driving an hour to pick it up. I switched to my local grow shop organic soil blend and have been satisfied. If you can get it in the 20-25$ range I would say go for it though.

HyDroid

Bar Harbor Blend Was Good

Bar Harbor Blend Was Good

I've used Coast of Maine Bar Harbor Blend a few times and I like the tilth that it has from a sub-irrigation perspective but it could potentially use a little more aeration.

I have been eyeing the Stonington blend since it purports to be a super-soil in the official sense; I was glad to see this post since I'm thinking of using it in my next grow.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm gonna have a few bags soon!!! I'll be doing a Indoor thread. And I'll give my 2 cents for what it's worth. I figure it's pretty good, I'm not sure if it's better than Ocean Forest but we'll probably find out.

G

Their “Master Nursery” brands Bumper Crop line is the same as the COM product except for the Stonington blend. I paid for shipping a year or so back for a bag. The color of the mix was a lighter shade more like tan. Worked well but I actually like their Bumper Crop line better and I have access to it in the spring. Bought enough to last me till next spring. American Grower has a recipe that works. I did have to pay to ship a couple bags of the lobster compost but it wasn’t outrageous in my book.
Here is a link to his mix.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=358646

Mr. J

Stonington? Is that supposed to be some kind of play on the word "stoned". If so then lol, you guys will buy anything.

G

Stonington? Is that supposed to be some kind of play on the word "stoned". If so then lol, you guys will buy anything.

It’s named after the local town I believe. Nothing to see here for the omnipotent. Move along,,,,,

G

Now that's some fancy weed you guys must be growing. A little garlic butter, a glass of wine, and a nice steak would surely take that herb to the next level though.
Probably better than any you got.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I saw SailorMoses had a beautiful grow using this and tapwater so I picked up a couple bags on sale. Anybody else have any experience with this stuff? Threw a liberty haze in some with a smart pot and it's already sprouted 2 days later.
Before I saturated the soil the first time, I saw a tiny, brown bug crawling on the surface, anybody know what that was? I couldn't get my camera to focus on it, it was tiny, like a grain of rice was bigger easily. I haven't noticed any since that watering, but I'm worried to put it into my grow tent proper if there are bugs. I'm pretty sure if I put this outside, the soil has so much yummy stuff in it for the bugs it will get infested instantly.

Stonington ran out of gas on me in early august. YMMV.

G

Stonington ran out of gas on me in early august. YMMV.
I fed like normal when I used it after it showed it was running out of feed. It did seem to run out of food half way thru flower. Its why I think I like the Bumper Crop a bit better.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Now that's some fancy weed you guys must be growing. A little garlic butter, a glass of wine, and a nice steak would surely take that herb to the next level though.
Uh, lobster isn't super fancy. It's literally a water bug. It used to be eaten entirely by poor people. Like scrapple. Where I live, up until the 1950s, it was illegal to feed prisoners lobster more than 2 times a week as it was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Lobster hired the same marketing department as diamonds and now people act like they are special or something. They aren't. Ya'll just fell for marketing. Hopefully that will nip in the bud anymore of your retarded responses that have nothing to do with the thread. If not, well, I'll be here.

Mr. J

Uh, lobster isn't super fancy. It's literally a water bug. It used to be eaten entirely by poor people. Like scrapple. Where I live, up until the 1950s, it was illegal to feed prisoners lobster more than 2 times a week as it was considered cruel and unusual punishment. Lobster hired the same marketing department as diamonds and now people act like they are special or something. They aren't. Ya'll just fell for marketing. Hopefully that will nip in the bud anymore of your retarded responses that have nothing to do with the thread. If not, well, I'll be here.
You guys sure are a happy bunch. Can't even take a (bad) joke about your dirt.

Latest posts

Latest posts