What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone using a coffee grinder? pros and cons?

Max Headroom

Veteran
@finishing grinder: not surprised magic flight came up with this, because the MFLB really needs fine powder, even moreso than the volcano.

i'm gonna borrow* a coffee grinder in the next few days and try it out. i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

*i don't drink coffee at all, so i got no hardware for it.

PDX Dopesmoker

if you want the material to come out extra fine freeze it before grinding, freezing makes the bud more brittle.
if you want to the be really, really fine then freeze it again after it's ground and sift with a 250 micron pierced steel plate while its still frozen.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use that:
picture.php

Works better than either an herb or coffee grinder, plus you can easily collect any resin stuck on it.

The cons of coffee grinder is resin stick all over it and is hard to collect as the very grinding process warm up the weed/resin if done the wrong way...+ the coffee grinder won't last very long as resin get infiltrated in the mechanism.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like my coffee ground,,,,
love the smell of proper bean selling coffee shops and all the varietys jarred up,,,,,s2

Spaventa

Veteran
if you want the material to come out extra fine freeze it before grinding, freezing makes the bud more brittle.
if you want to the be really, really fine then freeze it again after it's ground and sift with a 250 micron pierced steel plate while its still frozen.

I like that. It will also make less resin stick to the grinder. Thanks :tiphat:

starke

Been using a spice/coffee grinder for a while now on a daily basis. Just tap the button two or three short pulses and you are done. Yes you will have to wipe out the body and the inside of the plastic lid on occasion with some ISO but it's no big deal. I understand where canadacannabis is coming from but have honestly not noticed any change in potency from hand breaking, hand grinding or using the coffee grinder.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use an electric nut grinder when making bho. No fun grinding 100g of bud each run.

like this one
ic
cuisinart_sg20u_39.jpg

ic

ic

soundman

Like mentioned before I think, turn the grinder upside down and grind to your hearts desire. You can turn bud to dust. Flip over and turn once more to pass grind to bottom. That's how I grind for the volcano.

I never used a coffee grinder but imagine it will be more work in the long run with all the recovery of ground flower it will create.

Last edited:

Max Headroom

Veteran
so i tried it out. it doesn't work.
the bud just gets thrown around inside the chamber (probably because it's too light compared to coffee beans) and barely ground up. tiny pieces stick to the plastic, making it hard to empty out completely.

the search for the perfect/most effortless grinding method continues. ;)

so i tried it out. it doesn't work.
the bud just gets thrown around inside the chamber (probably because it's too light compared to coffee beans) and barely ground up. tiny pieces stick to the plastic, making it hard to empty out completely.

the search for the perfect/most effortless grinding method continues. ;)

My grinder turns weed into dust if you run it long enough. Keep trying.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a lot of variation in result.

I think it was a Salton we had.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Nah the the coffee grinder (mull-o-matic) is bullshit for lazy people to use.
Get a pollen/trich catching grinder and thank me later (or the dude that invented em).
Coffee grinders catch the trichs but also the bits of shit in a bad way and they're farked to clean/harvest the kief. Save ya electricity, a decent 4-part manual grinder is really just as easy but better in the long run.
Unless you're grinding like a 1/4 at a time for 4+ impatient smokers multiple times a day, then it's not really worth it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To each their own, eh? Opinions abound.

Never had a problem cleaning. I tend to hippy pick these days. Inefficient and time consuming.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
When I used a grinder to pulverize weed to make cannabutter, the resin all stuck to the bottom. The next time I make coffee with that grinder it should be an interesting taste.