What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple stems, yellowing leaves, slow growth

slimjoint

Every now and then I run into this issue and I can't figure out what the cause is I do the same thing everytime but it doesn't occur everytime.
These are vegging under gavitas @ 500 watts 5-6 ft from the canopy, in 1 gal pots of foxfarm ocean forest with added perlite and dolomite lime.
I was just feeding root xl and water. Ph around 6.5-6.7
Leaves are drooping & yellowing on newer growth & some have the claw & they feel rough, stems are purple.

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

I added 1/4 strength nutes thinking it might be a deficiency but seems like they got a little worse. I fed a plant 6.1 ph water and run off came out at 6.4 &500ppm.

My humidity was very low for a couple weeks but I brought it up to 60-70 in the last few days.
I've dug through the forums , no one has a direct answer. This is not from genetics I've grown this strain several times and it's not always like this.

packerfan79

Veteran
How long have the plants been in the ffof? Their is only enough nutes for 2 weeks 3 max, in the ocean forest. My thinking is you need to start feeding.

I only use ocean forests for mom's, if I am busy with other stuff it easy to just straight water for a few weeks.

oldbootz

Veteran
There is a clear magnesium and phosphorous deficiency i can see. If your pH and VPD is fine then it is likely nutrients where your problem lies.

If you are in soil you should think about going organic with the nutrients. If you want to feed salts you are better off in a perlite / coco mix.

slimjoint

Could overwatering in soil possibly cause this? My vpd got adjusted this last week, my humidity was at 30% so some plants needed more water than others and I watered them evenly

Mogli

use some cal mag . she need some abit more nutrients / magnesium.. but i would go first for clean water with oxygen inside for 24h before you use it.. try to sort the ppm up to 700 minimum before you use nutrients ..

donger666

i am new to the forum here but i was searching for info on the same situation you have posted here. thats why i signed up. your description and photos where the only ones that looked exactly like what i m experiencing.

did you find any solution or reason for the problem?

i make compost teas and have reused my soil many times with no problems.

i am wondering about ph of the soil or water? but in 8 plus years of growing i've never worried about ph with compost and teas. my tap water is high ph outta the spout but i bubble and warm it for 24 hrs before i use it to brew teas which then brew for 18-24 hrs. i always thought the ph adjusted and fluctuated with teas so i never checked it and never have had a problem.

plants are in 4 inch pots the roots don't look rootbound. nice and white. i know how to grow and have dealt with all the common pests. ive had broad mites and i'm confident that that is not the issue however i'm now at a loss.
i cant imagine it not enough food the teas have always wokred so well. same recipe and ratios. 44%-55% rh always between 69f and 75f. good airflow. ive vegged in that room for 4 years never a problem. anyway its got me frustrated and confused. i. gonnaa take some photos.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
i am new to the forum here but i was searching for info on the same situation you have posted here. thats why i signed up. your description and photos where the only ones that looked exactly like what i m experiencing.

did you find any solution or reason for the problem?

i make compost teas and have reused my soil many times with no problems.

i am wondering about ph of the soil or water? but in 8 plus years of growing i've never worried about ph with compost and teas. my tap water is high ph outta the spout but i bubble and warm it for 24 hrs before i use it to brew teas which then brew for 18-24 hrs. i always thought the ph adjusted and fluctuated with teas so i never checked it and never have had a problem.

plants are in 4 inch pots the roots don't look rootbound. nice and white. i know how to grow and have dealt with all the common pests. ive had broad mites and i'm confident that that is not the issue however i'm now at a loss.
i cant imagine it not enough food the teas have always wokred so well. same recipe and ratios. 44%-55% rh always between 69f and 75f. good airflow. ive vegged in that room for 4 years never a problem. anyway its got me frustrated and confused. i. gonnaa take some photos.

Reused soil can do this too, yes. Doesn't have to be like there's not enough nutrients but more a wrong blend of components. Too much from one thing can result in lockout from others.