What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hydro newb,please help choose a system

yahooman

i have grown in soil for years and never tried hydro ever...i think im ready to take the plunge!

i have 2-4' x 4' x 7' flower tents,one HAS 1000 WATT HPS/MH LIGHT,THE OTHER 600 WATT HPS/MH LIGHT,I USE ONE EXAUST FAN FOR BOTH TENT AND IT WORKS VERY WELL
I KNOW THERE ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF HYDRO,BUT IM LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST,SIMPLEST SYSTEM FOR A SMALL SPACE GROWER.

can anyone please offer my some input as to what the best system for me to use?*

packerfan79

Veteran
She coco is probably the cheapest and most forgiving. Not exactly hydro ,but similar results. Anything recirulating is going to be a challenge. Rockwool in flood trays is probably 2nd choice.

bigbadbillybob

1Coco is ok, but I would advise you to consider a bubbler, preferably in a decent sized totes, 2 airstones per tote, and insulate the totes to keep temps within reason (aim for 19 degrees c).
if you do it right, you will get bigger yield compared to coco - if that's important to you.
good luck with it

I agree... go coco

I have been running three drip tables for a few years. I just use the KISS method using GH Maxi Bloom at 1.4 to 2.0 ec. I do try to add other expensive additives from time to time. However, none of the additives i tried are worth continued use.

If you grow with coco, you will have to deal with fungus gnats at some point. I hate them.

packerfan79

Veteran
Aero is challenging, and the addition of the chiller adds startup cost, and electricity cost. To many moving parts to fail for my taste.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If your incoming air is 68F (always), you should run dwc, one or two tubs per light. One strain per tub.

If your incoming air is going to get above 68F, go with a system which uses media. The media can be pebbles or coco or whatever, as long as it has a drying out period between waterings. This type of system will do better with a 72F root zone.

Whatever you do, spend a significant amount of time reading up on the subject. :)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Coco seems to perform better top fed.

If you are going to do a flood and drain table, go with net pots of hydroton.

Botanicare nutrients, set pH to 5.8 and let drift up to 6.1 and reset. Change res once a week.

A coco Matt for the bottom of tray works best for the root to get I to and have unlimited space.

Easy peasy.

yahooman

thanx for the advice everyone,i think im going to go flood and drain with net pots of hydroton...

got some lemon fizz on deck!

yts farmer

Veteran
My suggestion came to late but i would of chosen coco.

Can hand water it or turbo charge your grow by using drippers to take full advantage of the media and feed multiple times a day in flower, as long as you have sufficient roots.

Good luck with your new flood and drain, hope to see it in action soon.:tiphat:

Peace.

yahooman

My suggestion came to late but i would of chosen coco.

Can hand water it or turbo charge your grow by using drippers to take full advantage of the media and feed multiple times a day in flower, as long as you have sufficient roots.

Good luck with your new flood and drain, hope to see it in action soon.:tiphat:

Peace.

thanx bro!

Latest posts

Latest posts