What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hochstrom, Filtering, and making clear distillate

his tutorials are great, you gotta do all sorts of extra reading to "understand" :D

i was gonna pm you but you need some posts, theres some ass on ebay offin your heads for $900, delta9tech or somethin....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-20-L-Ju...196170?hash=item33d30d4c4a:g:ogoAAOSwxg9ZbCDC
i've been tempted to grab that damn ol fatass head you sell :D

Reading, assuming, reading between the lines, experience with mentally ill people.... all needed to navigate Summit's treasure chest and get your desired results. The best teacher is experience. Go slow after 190C and record data regarding temperature, vac level, and visual fractions being taken and you will get where you want to be. After that, visual results will not change and you will use lab results to refine your methods.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I barely get much kickback myself lol. But If I could I would.

I'm happy to read up on it, but I'm honestly having a hard time finding the relevant info. So if you have any helpful links I'd be more than pleased to pour over them. Even some decent search terms for the forum might help too.

I've tried to read through "the clear" thread, but I honestly end up getting all ADD and suddenly I'm watching cat videos.

I have been through summits treasure chest as well, frequently, but I find their information to be a bit jumbled, as if Elliot had been consuming a little too much of his own product lol.

I don't expect to have 99% overnight by all means, and am aware that there is a whole process involved, so I've just been taking things one step at a time.

Once my hochstrom package arrives and I get the hang of that process I'll move on to further purifying it..... I'm pretty sure I have all the equipment at this point.

I didn't find Summit's description of three stage filtration, is it similar to this from BVV?

"The most prominent use for filter paper is Buchner funnel filtration after a winterization process. For this application, there is a few different ways to go about selecting ashless filter paper. For a simple, single time funnel filtration, we recommend a slow speed that corresponds with your funnel size. For even better results, filtration should be attempted in stages corresponding to different winterization temperatures. For the first stage, winterize at about freezing for 4 hours and then filter through a fast speed filter. For the second stage, winterize for 4 more hours at about 0F and then filter through a medium speed filter. For the final stage, winterize overnight at -40F+ and filter through the slowest speed filter paper. This process will remove mass from the mixture in stages and will allow for faster filtration, easier coagulation of precipitate, and a more complete winterized product."
https://www.bestvaluevacs.com/blog/ashless-filter-paper--selection/

Summit Research winterizing/ dewaxing filter aid,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQ72JNxgvE

his tutorials are great, you gotta do all sorts of extra reading to "understand" :D

i was gonna pm you but you need some posts, theres some ass on ebay offin your heads for $900, delta9tech or somethin....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-20-L-Ju...196170?hash=item33d30d4c4a:g:ogoAAOSwxg9ZbCDC
i've been tempted to grab that damn ol fatass head you sell :D
It looks like they stole a lot of the design features, but isn't our head. You have to expect the Chinese knockoffs right?:peek: Funny thing is it's 2x our price.
We are phasing out that design so if you want one I can get you a deal on it. They're almost gone though.

BigJohnny

I finally got my equipment, but I don't know how ot assemble the hochstrom properly, like what order the two plates, rings and gaskets fit.

I finally got my equipment, but I don't know how ot assemble the hochstrom properly, like what order the two plates, rings and gaskets fit.

Base - SS Plate, Paper, SS Ring, Hochstrom Body in that order. Get a quarter turn valve or ball valve with a bleed on it to put between your hochstrom and vessel. I use the Swagelok SS qtr turn valves.

BigJohnny

Base - SS Plate, Paper, SS Ring, Hochstrom Body in that order. Get a quarter turn valve or ball valve with a bleed on it to put between your hochstrom and vessel. I use the Swagelok SS qtr turn valves.

ya I figured it out, I was being a dumbass. my kit has two plates and two tubes, I didn't realize the second tube had a deeper recess to fit the dual plates and rings.

I already screwed the barb in, fairly tightly too. I'm scared to remove it now in case it binds up or something.....stainless on stainless.

oneshot

ya I figured it out, I was being a dumbass. my kit has two plates and two tubes, I didn't realize the second tube had a deeper recess to fit the dual plates and rings.

I already screwed the barb in, fairly tightly too. I'm scared to remove it now in case it binds up or something.....stainless on stainless.

You need PTFE tape on those threads or it's going to strip it and fuck it up

Latest posts

Latest posts