What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ghetto Fab Drying Box

wswise

So this is more about my particular situation, but hopefully it can help someone out...

I live in a townhome that goes up 4 stories, and I grow on the top floor, in a loft about my bedroom. It can get very hot, and running 2 tents, it was getting stinky. So last year I set up a vent system and carbon filters, and boy did it help. Except when it came to drying.

I was hanging plants in a bathroom to try to dry, but with low humidity I was getting finished plants in as little as 2 days, and that does not make for tasty buds. So I did a little reading and came up with an enclosed system dry box on the cheap!

Went to uhaul, and got a closet box with a hanging bar. Amazon has a humidity controlled outlet plug, and a 4" vent fan. A little duct tape, and some venting, and now I have an environment that can slow dry my plants, and when the humidity gets too high, the fan kicks on and brings in fresh air to keep it at 65% or below. Total cost was below $100, and by putting the vent from the drying box near the intake for my tents, the output smell runs through the filter. No more stink!

Just thought of posting this, I'm on day 6 of the dry and I think this Bubba's Gift will be ready for trimming tomorrow or the day after. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 20170730_194615.jpg
    20170730_194615.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170730_194619.jpg
    20170730_194619.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170730_194634.jpg
    20170730_194634.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 16
  • 20170730_194649.jpg
    20170730_194649.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170730_194659.jpg
    20170730_194659.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 16

brown_thumb

Thanks for sharing. I didn't know there were humidity controlled outlet pugs. That box would be excellent for drying (and curing) with less fuss.

wswise

How often do you find that the fan kicks on, and for how long?

In this last run it was a bit humid so it was turning on maybe every 20 minutes for the first few days. After that it was maybe every 1-2 hours for the next 3 days. After that it is plant dependent. I've also done net drying inside the box, rather than hanging a plant, and the box will still extend the dry by a day or two.

T

thesloppy

How big a difference was there in flavor/smoke with the slower dry?

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
Fkn awesome move man. I've seen the plugs before BUT I'VE NEVER seen the uhaul closet box!!! I've always used trash bags to move my clothes!lol

I see why you called this thread "ghetto fabulous" but if I had that dry box I'd call it simply "FABULOUS"

Of course.....I live in the GHETTO!!!.haha

Cannablessed

So this is more about my particular situation, but hopefully it can help someone out...

I live in a townhome that goes up 4 stories, and I grow on the top floor, in a loft about my bedroom. It can get very hot, and running 2 tents, it was getting stinky. So last year I set up a vent system and carbon filters, and boy did it help. Except when it came to drying.

I was hanging plants in a bathroom to try to dry, but with low humidity I was getting finished plants in as little as 2 days, and that does not make for tasty buds. So I did a little reading and came up with an enclosed system dry box on the cheap!

Went to uhaul, and got a closet box with a hanging bar. Amazon has a humidity controlled outlet plug, and a 4" vent fan. A little duct tape, and some venting, and now I have an environment that can slow dry my plants, and when the humidity gets too high, the fan kicks on and brings in fresh air to keep it at 65% or below. Total cost was below $100, and by putting the vent from the drying box near the intake for my tents, the output smell runs through the filter. No more stink!

Just thought of posting this, I'm on day 6 of the dry and I think this Bubba's Gift will be ready for trimming tomorrow or the day after. Let me know if you have any questions!

I see this is old but I just wanted to commend you. I admire the DIY and simplicity of it....:tiphat: I’ll be investing!

Latest posts

Latest posts