What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buds won't cure correctly. what to do now.

hellfire

When this happens to me I like to use ziploc bags with a moist paper towel in them and a tiny bit of water on the bottom, now if it is already in a jar this is probably not feasible. I like to use smaller plastic totes for this technique. Set it and keep an eye on it from day to day till the moisture you desire is reached. If the paper towel dries out add more water.

mushroombrew

Veteran
ReikoX - hey what's going on? Hey man I been up like for the past two days and missed that, I did not mean to say trichs, I had a bag of hairs and smoked them there was no effect so I threw them away. The other guy calling either of us a troll does not make any sense at all. Read my smoke report I posted today, it says it all. Often people pic the very topic that they are doing so I guess he was thinking ? troll

I never thought about hash with all it's moisture as being pure mildew. I just did not want to loose all that smoke so I froze it and thought I would give it a try making those bubble buckets. I was pleased to scythe least and never made that same mistake again with not paying attention to my cure while in those jars.

Yeah I would not smoke any product made with mildew. The spores will be in there....
I think you mean the gland stalks ("hairs"). Yes they do not get you high. The gland contains the cannabinoids.

soundman

I would follow the advice that fruit peels can and usually cause mold.

Tape a dampened but non dripping wet q-tip to the inside lid of a mason jar. Store weed in jar and it will re-hydrate safely.

G

It takes moisture and oxygen for a plant to curries a jar. Too much moisture results in mildew, and if that ever happens DO NOT THROW IT AWAY! You can freeze it and make hash, look up on this thread about how to make the apparatus for using screens, ice, and the frozen buds. The mildew is removed when the bud changes form.

Why do you think the buds are too dry? I placed a commercial dehumidifier from EBAC under my plants and they sucked up gallons of water from the area (yes, some of this is from the regal atmosphere in the room). My point is I dint think you have them over dry, maybe just scared you messed up. You did good by burping the jars often. Can you supply some pictures for me to see, or explain in more detail what you are doing.

By the way, you don't get high from the trichosomes, I had a whole bag of them one time and threw them away. They are just indicators of what stage the plant devilment is, cloudy, amber, and clear all are different highs.
Man I am glad there is a ignore function here.

Junk

Fwiw, I think curing is relative to your grow style. You can't just copy someone else's routine and expect the same results...unless you have the same size and density.

E.g. Currently I'm RDWC, 2500w, sealed, co2, atmosphere is dead on etc. My plants are very large and dense. Someone here posted that if you put them in jars when the stem can be snapped, it's already too late. I'm not arguing that per se. I'm sure for some that is true. But my flowers are so large/dense, my drying has to be different, the curing has to be different. If I put them in jars when the stem hits "hand-snapping" point, that's about the right time, bc there is still a lot of moisture still in the flower that will stabilize. Then I have to pack them super loose and burp them daily for a week, then eod, then twice a week, then weekly, then every two weeks. It takes me a long time. And all the above will vary depending on the time of year. And I still suck at it. But I'm not sure if it's because I'm burping too much, or too little. Or if I'm going to fast or too slow. I'm figuring it out and it's been about 3 years of working with cannabis. And I've been gardening other stuff forever!

I just know that copying "forum" processes to the letter doesn't work for me bc my flowers are typically larger. I'm not bragging, it's just a consequence of my grow style, anyone could do it. But it does change my drying time and curing process.

Someone growing in soil with no co2 or less light etc, their process is going to be different than mine. One has to understand what the curing stage is for, what is trying to be accomplished, and then factor in the size, density etc they are working with, and lots of trial and error.

Imo, it's something that you get a feel for (and I'm not totally there yet). Plants are like that in general. Some people need to consult a book or a forum when they see something "off." Some people have been doing it so long, they can look at the plant and just know. And whether it's growing or curing, I feel like the only way you get to that point is to test/observe/repeat. Use what you read hear as a outline. Don't be afraid to make adjustments for your situation. The only way to understand it well is to do it over and over and over again.

Ratzilla

Veteran
When I think of using fruit peels of any kind in the drying process i think of the flavor that will also pass.
Personally I don't want my bud to taste like a orange or a lemon thinking i like the skunks. lol
I have never had to play with my bud other then smoking it once chopped and dried.

But I have heard that a piece of lettuces also will work to recharge some moisture without adding flavors.
Ratz :tiphat:
Nt a Troll

Junk, Stewart169, & HqFarms - that is really not a nice thing to do, acting that way around others who also enjoy to grow here. Bad Karma also happens to people who grow, and probably you all will get your fair share of that. And by the way, you not only are limited about your experience in growing, you also don't even know what an internet troll is. I came to this forum to have fun, and I simply made a mistake in what I said above. I guess you three guys never made mistakes huh?

"a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory messages in an online community with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response."

Kinda sounds like you three are the trolls here, now that is funny, all of us at this forum laughing at your ignorance here!

Junk

Junk, Stewart169, & HqFarms - that is really not a nice thing to do, acting that way around others who also enjoy to grow here. Bad Karma also happens to people who grow, and probably you all will get your fair share of that. And by the way, you not only are limited about your experience in growing, you also don't even know what an internet troll is. I came to this forum to have fun, and I simply made a mistake in what I said above. I guess you three guys never made mistakes huh?

"a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting quarrels or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory messages in an online community with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response."

Kinda sounds like you three are the trolls here, now that is funny, all of us at this forum laughing at your ignorance here!

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. It's an internet forum though. You must grow a thicker skin because I'm downright pleasant to disagree with.

I said what I said because I have read 3 posts from you now that are absolutely ridiculous. That's what trolls do.

If I'm wrong, time will tell. But you should know this forum isn't famous for letting nonsense slide. So maybe think about what you are saying before you say it because as it stands, you appear to be trolling. I'm not trying to give you a hard time...I couldn't really care less. I'm just trying to give you some helpful advice on the chance you want to be a respected member of this community. :tiphat:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
It takes moisture and oxygen for a plant to curries a jar. Too much moisture results in mildew, and if that ever happens DO NOT THROW IT AWAY! You can freeze it and make hash, look up on this thread about how to make the apparatus for using screens, ice, and the frozen buds. The mildew is removed when the bud changes form.

Why do you think the buds are too dry? I placed a commercial dehumidifier from EBAC under my plants and they sucked up gallons of water from the area (yes, some of this is from the regal atmosphere in the room). My point is I dint think you have them over dry, maybe just scared you messed up. You did good by burping the jars often. Can you supply some pictures for me to see, or explain in more detail what you are doing.

By the way, you don't get high from the trichosomes, I had a whole bag of them one time and threw them away. They are just indicators of what stage the plant devilment is, cloudy, amber, and clear all are different highs.

this is not correct. trichomes are most of whats getting you high.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I must say you do say some strange things Chilly Willy.

I wouldn't put you in a troll category. But if you don't know about Trichromes that's worrying.

Is english your first language? I wonder if there are translation issues when I read your posts.

DrBnz

One thing is to be conscious of the relative humidity both in the jar and in the room that you're burping your product in. Try to get them to about 56-58% RH and to keep them there for as long as I'm checking (i.e. until I'm "STORING" vice "CURING"). So let your flowers air dry, put them in jars and burp as you describe. But don't "burp" if ambient RH too HIGH or LOW. You don't want to introduce RH that isn't in line with your goals. For example don't open jars in the garage if RH is 70+. Go inside with the AC running, it's ~ 10% RH lower

mushroombrew

Veteran
Here is how I cure. Regardless of bud size. I am assuming there are no mold issues. So no PM or bud rot for this to work...

Get the buds to somewhat uniform size. I don't dry or cure anything bigger than a golf ball (wet). So yes cut those bigger buds up a bit.

I wet trim. Then hang in racks/baskets at about 50% humidity. This is maintained with a dehumidifier.

After about 48 hrs the buds are dry on the outside. But still really wet inside.

I put the whole batch in a big plastic bag. And leave it overnight.

Moisture goes from the middle to the outside of buds. They become uniformly wet.

Then they go back on the rack 24hrs. Then in the bag again 24hrs. After about 5-6 days they buds will be pretty dry. But stems don't snap yet.

At this "almost dry" point I bag it for 2-3 days. But I open the bag daily to add fresh air and tumble the buds.

Then they get a final dry on the rack until stems snap. Usually by 7-8 days.

So I dry and cure at the same time. It works very well. Even at 8 days it smokes great. By two weeks its bomb. Three 3wks for the pickiest of cannaisseurs.

Edit:- A proper flush is vital to a good cure

Gry

I have seen a button for editing text. Don't recall having seen one for karma.

Drewsif

I must say you do say some strange things Chilly Willy.

I wouldn't put you in a troll category. But if you don't know about Trichromes that's worrying.

Is english your first language? I wonder if there are translation issues when I read your posts.

Technically the main trichomes on the plant are the small defensive spikes on the stalks. They dont get you high... But trichomes means hairs, and smoking pistils gets me high:they have resin glands on them. Which is what most people call trichs but they are really not hairs nor glands, they are sinks.

So start calling them heads sinks or banks from now on or else. They aren't trichomes. They are storage tanks sitting on trichomes.