What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dark period of 7 days?! will the plants survive?

Did they make it?

okey folks! the plants was in a dark period for 7 days.
the plants looked spotless after 7 days, they took no visible damage what so ever.
once the light came back they started growing like nothing ever happened.

this is the method used:
two days before "darkening all the plants got a big watering with pure water. no nutrients.
good ventilation and a fan blowing at the pots/soil to prevent mold.

nothing more, nothing less :dance013:

brown_thumb

I intentionally placed three mature plants in a dark very cool closet for seven days. I was experimenting, trying to increase trichome production and cause blue or purple coloration of the buds. The trichomes changed from mostly milky with approximately ten percent turning amber to all completely clear again. The buds stayed green. After I moved the plants outside again, trichomes turned milky again within a couple of days.

I intentionally placed three mature plants in a dark very cool closet for seven days. I was experimenting, trying to increase trichome production and cause blue or purple coloration of the buds. The trichomes changed from mostly milky with approximately ten percent turning amber to all completely clear again. The buds stayed green. After I moved the plants outside again, trichomes turned milky again within a couple of days.

Sativa plants go through a cycle, you can pick them or you can wait until they change color, wait and the will change back. You got to watch them though because it happens kinda fast; but this is normal to go from clear, to cloudy, to amber, you dint have to put them in a closet for that to happen.

You guys not feeding your plants for week should be a crime, surprised they lived. I went out of town for two days just weeks before harvesting and came back and the buckets were bone dry, Just my luck it was the period they start to drink a whole lot and I was not there to do the extra feeding. If the guy could have told us the situation we could make better recommendations, people were just trying to be helpful here, it is what we do, help one another.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club

wait,what?!?
you placed the plants in complete darkness for a few days and your trichs went from milky and amber to clear again?
can you tell us anything more, (strain,medium,temps, watering, ???)
absolutely astonishing, i have never heard of anything like this!

brown_thumb

wait,what?!?
you placed the plants in complete darkness for a few days and your trichs went from milky and amber to clear again?

I'm a newb so all I know is what I see. Yes, the trichomes turned completely clear after being in a dark closet at 60-70F for a week... nine days to be precise. One was Strawberry Kush, another was Pineapple Haze, I can't remember the third strain.

plm

Forgot to turn on light in my first grow when I was away on a mini vacation for 4 days, nothing happened, maybe affected quality + yield, but I was happy enough they didn't turn hermie... anyway in the end it all breaks down to genetics in my opinion, some are resilient some aren't, good luck.

mr.brunch

Veteran
wait,what?!?

I would have thought they would be new trichomes that have grown over, or pushed the old ones out of view

mr.brunch

Veteran
Especially now I re read that the plants were put away for 9 days.... lots of growth will have happened in that time, dark or not. I suspect the new trichomes were still clear because no light was falling on them - then when moved into the light again, THC flooded in :)

Glad the plants were ok.