What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some questions about RAW nutrients???

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Yes hydrodynamics international is a great company. Was a local company when I was living in the mitten, so that was nice. And meant it was really cheap. And it is extremely stable in the res. Always came highly recommended by many of the "heavyweights" on these forums.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I recommend using structured water to mix any nutes. Simple DIY devices can be made inexpensively as opposed to uber expensive commercial devices, ut if you are mixing 10+ gallons regularly then go commercial.

A quick thumb regarding structured water is all municipal water is energetically dead. We should drink alive water, feeding it to our plants pays similar dividends

Lots of good YT videos to explore

Here's a couple pics of my 2 DIY devices

The marbles in the meat baster are hematite (magnetic). I also have a double string of them in the center of the blender vessel. I use a net pot in the bottom to keep the marbles from falling out

View attachment 371646 View attachment 371647

frostqueen

Okay, I've had a chance to taste the two Wifi phenos grown with the RAW nutrients and compare them to the BioBizz versions. The RAW flowers actually had slightly better/stronger flavor. That surprised me. My other tester, a Black Betty x White Rhino, also had better/stronger flavor.

So, I guess this initial test was a success by almost every metric. I was looking for a cheaper way to pull off the quality of BioBizz and Canna nutrients and maybe boost my weight, and RAW seems to do this very effectively. It is chem/organic rather than totally organic, so that detail might factor in for some people.

Note that this is just a small preliminary test that followed RAW's chart exactly, so this all really needs to be confirmed in further runs with different strains.

benefits:

More resin; very good resin production. Some of the best resin I've ever seen without using boost products like Top Max or Terpinator.

Great flavor, even before the cure. I have found that both BioBizz and Canna have good flavor, but also a very slight hint of a (malt/molasses?) flavor to them. The RAW has none of that. Smooth smoke right out of the gate when dried; no harshness at all; excellent burn quality.

More weight, by roughly 10% this time. I think I can even coax a bit more weight by fine-tuning this system. I am considering using Top Max next time, as it has clear benefits to weight, structure and resin that don't seem to 'overlap' with what is in the RAW system.

MUCH less expensive. I came up with about $45 per 1000w this time. (Understand: this cost is based upon buying larger quantities of the most-used ingredients; buying 2 ounce packs will increase your costs.) For the next run they are also getting the RAW microbes, which I left out the first time, so at most $60 per 1000w using the all-in-one system as per RAW's chart.

Fewer ingredients. You are adding 4 to 5 items at each mixing rather than the 8 to 10 that I was using before.

Stable ph of about 5.6. I'll admit that I personally bump it to ~6.0, but I'm sure you could easily just not bother to ph adjust at all.

downsides:

Dry ingredients can be a bit of a pain; I'll admit that I'm used to liquid-based nutrients, though. Most of these individual components are fine and very easy to use with measuring spoons; the all-in-one grow and bloom can clump, tho, and really should be weighed out IMO. If they aren't clumped then they are instead really dusty, so... I'm sure it will become routine with time, so not a huge factor. Definitely get some jars for the separates, and two big tupperware containers for the grow/bloom since you will use a lot more of those. The bags that everything comes in get a bit tiresome.

Can't think of any more downsides. I had some initial calcium deficiency issues, but that was likely due to not using quite enough Calmag in mid and late veg; this second round had no such issues at all and looks amazing. Big fat stems and flawless leaves at the end of week 2 flower.

I'll be straying a bit from the RAW chart now, so my future results will vary, too. I will be going back to my beloved 50% ProMix and 50% FF Ocean Forest soil, as I tried a few each way this second time and they really look better with the mix rather than straight ProMix, and they don't dry out quite as fast.

Anyway. This should give you a basic idea what to expect from the RAW all-in-one grow and bloom regimen when following RAW's chart exactly.

Laavamara

hesi grow / bloom
raw silica -res
raw humic acid - 5:2 humic-kelp in da res
raw - fulvic - foliar
raw kelp - foliar/res
Hesi SuperVit - amino/vitamine - res
Ionic Cal-mag pro - cal/mag/fe -foliar/res WHEN NEEDED :)

that is my nutrient regime i'm planning for next grow with flood and drain mapito in 6,5L pots. Foliar feeding only every 1-2 weeks.
Hesi base because I already have it. In NFT without any additives more roots than normally were floating apart in the res hope it's not because of the hesi base (didn't have this before with GH)

btw am i right that raw silica doesn't rise ph?

frostqueen

hesi grow / bloom
raw silica -res
raw humic acid - 5:2 humic-kelp in da res
raw - fulvic - foliar
raw kelp - foliar/res
Hesi SuperVit - amino/vitamine - res
Ionic Cal-mag pro - cal/mag/fe -foliar/res WHEN NEEDED :)

that is my nutrient regime i'm planning for next grow with flood and drain mapito in 6,5L pots. Foliar feeding only every 1-2 weeks.
Hesi base because I already have it. In NFT without any additives more roots than normally were floating apart in the res hope it's not because of the hesi base (didn't have this before with GH)

btw am i right that raw silica doesn't rise ph?

Hey there, friend. Pretty sure the magic 5:2 ratio for the kelp/humic applies to a foliar spray rather than for going into the res. Check RAW's site for specifics on that. I heard Harley mention this in his videos, and the foliar alone should be enough for your use. He also says to not use it too far into flower for some reason. I use it once a week in veg only and they go ape shit over it.

The RAW silica is a lot more neutral than any other I've used. It raises your ph a little bit, but not very much. Add it first to your res, before adding in the other ingredients, so it fully dissolves and stays that way.

tejashidrow

Small snobby cab grower
I was going to try canna line but
Not into mixing a bunch of additives
I've used maxi bloom with good success
Lighting is Cree 3590 cobs @ 50 watts per square foot
My soil mix is coco, perlite, EWC.
Would Using raw
Bloom all in one, calmag and vitiman b be good ???
I all ready use Recharge micros
Flying skull enzymes
If this raw is just as good as canna it being a powder is a plus for me
Peace

Last edited:

Applesauce

A few questions about this line -

1.) The silica - why is this silica fairly pH neutral when compared to the popular liquid varieties. Is this available to the plant in a sterile hydro system?

2.) The vitamin b supplement - are plants able to uptake b vitamins through the root system without a biological process in a sterile hydro environment?

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i'm a living soil grower but i have been using the RAW soluble yucca powder for almost two years now. i think it's a great product and a good value.

i use it as a wetting agent. helps moisturize hydrophobic peat when i'm building soil, and allows a root drench to penetrate hard pan or old dried out containers.

i prefer it to yucca meal because it is so fine and soluble i can add it to my pump sprayer. i use a pinch in my foliar sprays to help cover the leaf surface better (less beading up).

Jahoo1021

Npk raw

Npk raw

I've been using their products for months now and I've seen a dramatic increase in yield and quality while spending less on nutrients and lowering my energy cost.....it pays to know how to use the products with the environment you have and when you do you can save more money

linky

I grow in coco in flood and drain tables and recirculate nutes. I currently use the complete canna coco line and I intend to continue but would like to add Raw yucca, silica, b vitamin, omina, kelp and humic acid in the res.

I would use their all in one but being a hydro system and recirculating nutes they highly recommend you do not use it in that situation.

I am using the lowest recommended amount for each of these additives to my typical feed levels of canna A and B base, rhizotonic and cannazym (in veg, no boost used atm).

After the first day of one feeding/watering half of my plants look like they are over watered now or nitrogen toxicity maybe, bad leaf claw.. the day before they were super healthy and happy looking. Suggestions? I just did a flush with straight ro water, in case it is a toxicity. I highly doubt its over watering, never had that issue in the past while using pure coco.

Btw great review/test frostqueen.. still using Raw? Have any more input?

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I grow in coco in flood and drain tables and recirculate nutes. I currently use the complete canna coco line and I intend to continue but would like to add Raw yucca, silica, b vitamin, omina, kelp and humic acid in the res.

I would use their all in one but being a hydro system and recirculating nutes they highly recommend you do not use it in that situation.

I am using the lowest recommended amount for each of these additives to my typical feed levels of canna A and B base, rhizotonic and cannazym (in veg, no boost used atm).

After the first day of one feeding/watering half of my plants look like they are over watered now or nitrogen toxicity maybe, bad leaf claw.. the day before they were super healthy and happy looking. Suggestions? I just did a flush with straight ro water, in case it is a toxicity. I highly doubt its over watering, never had that issue in the past while using pure coco.

NPK may not recommend all in ones if you use them full strength. I use them at ~ 50%

I am using all in one Grow and Bloom in both a bubbler and F & D systems to which I add yucca, silica, humic, kelp, and microbes

First 2 pics plant is 3+ weeks since first pistils
Pics 3-4 are ~ 6 weeks but very small phenos

View attachment 424585 View attachment 424586

View attachment 424587 View attachment 424584

linky

Harley said in a video and I emailed NPK industries a couple days ago about using their all in one grow and bloom in a hydroponic res and NPK basically said it was not recommended,

Harley said that all the microbes (I think he said the microbes) will convert all the nitrates to nitrites in a matter of a couple days.

Here is what NPK said when I emailed them

The Grow and Bloom all in one can be tricky in hydro. We recommend applying whatever you have mixed within 24 hrs for best results. From personal observation, even with airstones, I wouldn't go more than 3 days with the same mix. If you have any reservations, it might be best to use a hydroponic specific nutrient, and use the RAW additives to round out the nutrient profile.

Best regards,

Eric

linky

Okay, well the plants already look back to normal after the ro water flush, so it must of been nitrogen toxicity.. I will try lowering my ppm levels of the base nutrients for the next feeding and see how they respond. The Omina says it has 14% water soluble nitrogen in it, wonder if that additional nitrogen is what made them not so happy.

Absolem

Just my 2 cents. RAW products are way overpriced and offer little savings from bottle nutrients.

One 50lb bag of Yara calcium nitrate goes for about $25.00 compared to a 2lb bag of RAW product for $50.00.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just my 2 cents. RAW products are way overpriced and offer little savings from bottle nutrients.

One 50lb bag of Yara calcium nitrate goes for about $25.00 compared to a 2lb bag of RAW product for $50.00.

NPK is CaMg, not simply Calcium Nitrate. Thy do offer a Mg product @ $35/50#s, so you would need to add the 2 costs to compare apples. I didn't see where they offer a CaMg product. Quibble aside, price is relative. I flower 4-5 plants at any given time. 2 pounds of NPK Bloom will last me ~ 2 years, CaMg at least as long adding to grow as well

I was using Emerald Harvest (which I have great results using) but I have a top flight RO (< 7ppm) do not want to pay for water (or shipping of water, or crappy containers ).

NPK suits me just fine. Now on my second grow/bloom using it. Entering 4th week of bloom and am extremely happy

Anyone interested can follow my RIU thread

Absolem

NPK is CaMg, not simply Calcium Nitrate. Thy do offer a Mg product @ $35/50#s, so you would need to add the 2 costs to compare apples. I didn't see where they offer a CaMg product. Quibble aside, price is relative. I flower 4-5 plants at any given time. 2 pounds of NPK Bloom will last me ~ 2 years, CaMg at least as long adding to grow as well

I was using Emerald Harvest (which I have great results using) but I have a top flight RO (< 7ppm) do not want to pay for water (or shipping of water, or crappy containers ).

NPK suits me just fine. Now on my second grow/bloom using it. Entering 4th week of bloom and am extremely happy

Anyone interested can follow my RIU thread

I was merely using Yara calcium nitrate as one example. I could have used Yara Potassium nitrate at a cost of $73.00 for 50lbs or Hafia magnesium nitrate at a cost of $35.00 for 50lbs.

For the record I mix my own fertilizer salts from the same companies Canna and House and Garden buy their salts from.
https://www.haifa-group.com/
https://www.yara.us/

Here's a post I have in my thread in the coco section which gives the fertilizer salts I use and the cost for my fertilizer program.

I buy salts from Yara and Hafia and mix them into stock solutions then feed at x mls/gallon.

The 3 five gallon buckets on the left are calcium nitrate. The top middle bucket is magnesium nitrate and the two below it are magnesium sulfate. The five gallon bucket on the right is mono potassium phosphate.

View Image

These buckets are my potassium nitrate, agsil 16, potassium sulfate and iron.

View Image

I take those and mix them into these stock solutions to feed the plants.

View Image

The gallon of stock solution A will do between 237-316 gallons of stock tank solution. The stock solution B will get me between 190-237 gallons of stock tank solution. Each one of the Stock Solutions costs about $1.50 in salts to make. Each gallon of stock tank solution costs me .01477 cents per gallon. I can fill my 60 gallon stock tanks for .88 cents each. Each one will last a week.

Lets do a cost analysis to see if there is any savings from using NPK raw over General Hydroponics. Since I grow in coco we will compare the NPK with the H3ad 6/9 formula. 6ml micro/9ml bloom.

NPK grow. Cost for 2lbs is $64.00
2lbs=896 grams. 896 grams/5grams(average dosage)=179.20 gallons of stock tank solution can be made. $64.00/179.20= .35 cents to make one gallon of stock tank solution.

Now we have to figure the cost of NPK cal/mg per gallon. Cost for 2lbs of NPK cal/mag is $63.00. 2lbs =896 grams. 896/.75 grams=1,194.66 gallons of stock tank solution can be made out of one 2lb bag. $63.00/1194.66=.05 cents for a gallon of stock tank solution.

We also have to add in the NPK Grow micro like their feed chart says. 2lbs of NPK grow micro runs about $78.00. 2lbs=896grams. 896 grams/3 grams(average dosage)=298.66 gallons of stock tank solution can be made. $78.00/298.66=.26 cents a gallon.

Lets add up our cost of the NPK/raw product to make on gallon of stock tank solution.
NPK grow..............................=.35 cents a gallon
NPK cal/mg...........................=.05 cents a gallon
NPK micro.............................=.25 cents a gallon
Total cost to make one gallon
of NPK/raw stock tank solution.=.65 cents. Ouch

The cost for NPK using their bloom ingredients is about the same price as using the grow. So there is no point in running another cost analysis for bloom.

Now lets look at the cost of General Hydroponics using H3ad's formula.

Cost for one gallon of GH micro is $30.00. One gallon equals 3785 mls. 3785 mls/6 mls of GH micro=630.83 gallons of stock tank solution can be made from one gallon of GH micro. $30.00/630.83=.047 cents per one gallon of stock tank solution.

Lets add in our GH bloom. GH bloom is $25.00 a gallon. One gallon equals 3785mls/9 mls of GH bloom=420.55 gallons of stock tank solution can be made from one gallon of GH bloom. $25.00/420.55=.059 cents per one gallon of stock tank solution.

Lets add the GH micro and GH bloom up.
GH micro cost for one gallon.............................=.047 cents.
GH bloom cost for one gallon............................=.059 cents.
Total cost for one gallon using the H3ad formula.=.106 cents.

Comparing the cost using NPK will run the user .65 cents to make one gallon of plant feed. Compared to GH at a cost of .106 cents to
make one gallon of plant feed. It's clear the cost of NPK is way more than GH using the H3ad formula.

If you like paying 6 times the cost to use NPK/raw products have at it.

Again. I stand by my original statement that "RAW products are way overpriced and offer little savings from bottle nutrients. "

Last edited: