What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

C99 in NIMBY bio-tubs...is there a better nute regimen out there then Lucas Formula?

I was using Lucas Formula with success, but that was 5 years ago...is there a proven better nute regimen I should be looking into?

I'm running a simple 12 gallon bio-tub, with powerheads, red lava rock in netpots (3), and RO water. This basic NIMBY tub has got to be the simplest and cheapest way to grow. PH is rock-solid (in fact I never did anything but spot-check PH every 2-3 weeks), and I never even needed to dump/refill tubs. It's all in the RO water!

Homebrewer

Veteran
The lucas formula overfeeds but I like that 1:2 ratio of micro and bloom. 5/10 for flowering IME works a lot better than 8/16.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Optimal Nutrient Strength is completely dependant upon strain, temps, light intensity, humidity, CO2, etc... What one finds optimal will most likely not be optimal for anyone else.

That being said... plants have a higher tolerance of nutrients when they're in a balance close to Lucas.

Adding Pro-Tekt and a bit of a P/K booster is all you really need for 'extras'. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

whodare

Veteran
Jacks pro hydro and calnit

Dash of Epsom to aid in p uptake without the associated risk of lock out from pk boosters.

Bout 1.5 cents per gallon for final solution.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I suggest you look into new updated ways of bio filters.. ( GHE, using trichoderma... ) . But if lava rock is working for you, great.. I am just feeling you can get more pore space in smaller area, using knowledge from fish tank people ( bio filter material, sponges, porous "rock" material..... )

another thing, that might be fun is experimenting with biosevia ( organic hydro ) ( only available in Europe though, but can order it to the USA )
here is some info I've put together.. kinda disappointing no discussions, but what can one do..

I'm more wondering if your bored and wanting to switch things up, to keep interested.. or more interested in max output ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

Habeeb, I've only grown a couple of runs, and that was five or six years ago, when I used Lucas. I'm always going for max output/yield, and was just wondering if something newer had come along in these last few years that I should be looking into.

I'm trying to remember the specifics of the LF regimen, as it's been so long and I just cracked a couple Female Seeds C99s I had left over, so I need to remember this stuff pretty quickly. Searching this site is kind of hit or miss for me...does anyone have the killer link to the Lucas Formula so I can get myself reacquainted with what I need to do?

Also, there's nothing boring about growing in this non-med state, even if like me it is a couple of plants for personal use/pain management.

Again, thanks guys for the input.

gregor_mendel

whodare gave you good advice on the Jack's. It is one tenth the cost of any hydro store nutrient.

If you liked Lucas formula though, and want to stick with something familiar, try H3ad's formula: 6 micro 9 bloom.

A 1:1.5 ratio instead of 1:2.

I ran Lucas formula for a long time, then switched to H3ad.
The plants were always just as happy. This tells me that Lucas overfeeds without really hurting the plants, but you are just pouring money down the drain by using 24mL per gallon when you could do just as well with 15mL per gallon.

If you want a PK booster, just add more bloom.

I like Hydro-Soil's advice on Pro-Tekt. Using H3ad formula, which has only 100 ppm K, leaves "room" to add more potassium in the form of potassium silicate (Pro-Tekt) without over supplying K.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'm trying to remember the specifics of the LF regimen, as it's been so long and I just cracked a couple Female Seeds C99s I had left over, so I need to remember this stuff pretty quickly. Searching this site is kind of hit or miss for me...does anyone have the killer link to the Lucas Formula so I can get myself reacquainted with what I need to do?

Do a general internet search for "Ask Lucas" and you'll find a very large thread on another forum. From 2006. Everything you need is in there. :)

Also look on here for the K.I.S.S. thread where the use of GH's MaxiBloom nutrient is discussed. Basically lucas in a bag. :)

I haven't used H3ad's 6/9 ratio for coco in a regular hydro setup... so I have no input there.

Thanks, H-S. I've been checking that long thread out since late last night.

I done fucked-up though, and bought (and opened) GH FloraMicro and FloraBloom instead of FloraNova. Looks like I'll be heading back to the hydro store tomorrow...at least it was only quarts, lol.

pip313

I use 6/9 micro bloom because I am not able to top off with fresh water due to a few reasons. I feel my plants yellow way too fast and my harvest is suffering for it.

"If it aint broke then dont fix it" I'm switching to the full lucas myself once my drain issue is fixed.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I stopped using the FloraNova sometime back...

Personally, though the plants really liked it, I didn't care for some of the additives and it leaves a sludge of dirt in the bottom of your res. It's also a bitch to keep stirred/shaken properly without diluting it first.

Crazy Chester

An oldie but a goodie...

An oldie but a goodie...

I just gotta bump this one up there.

It's been a decade since I used this method. For me, 5 micro and 10 bloom worked a bit better than 8/16 because I was having some nute burn show up toward the end of flowering. Not really bad - just enough to make the flush not as effective.

Also, I think Nimby or someone else said to also add Stresszyme in accordance with the directions on the bottle. I did that and found 5 micro + 10 bloom + Stresszyme (I don't remember how much) per gallon of RO water = perfect for a strain that takes 10 weeks or less to flower.

Also, the Nimby followers back then kept the PH quite low - 5.2. Mine would range in PH between 5.2 to 5.8 between feedings. All that was needed between weekly feedings was to top off the reservoir with RO water PH'd to 5.2. The plants would explode with growth!

:woohoo:

My C99 clone would finish in 45 days of flowering using this method. It was easy and foolproof. I'm thinking of using it on an NFT table that floods periodically and drains back into the reservoir instead of the DWC that I used to do.