What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama Red

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can tell under those trimminz,theres an old school bud with a great buzz and taste.It looks like a scary scarecrow on fire chasin ya down with his arms flapping and has horns,lol.That whole bud,just by looking at it,gives me a flashnack to good times,when weed was different,but stil very stoney.It reminds me of,sitting in my friends backyard when we skipped lunch and went to his house to get stoned before going back to school.Have you smoked it yet>?If so,is the first hit like jumping in a time machine that brings ya back to 8th grade?:dance013:I love growing out strains like this,and am happy theres people out there breeding them and keeping them alive for all of us to enjoy.Great job.Peace and Stay Safe,DanceswithWeed:tiphat:

Cool post :tiphat:

Uncured Panama x Moño Rojo -F2 :dance013:

011-8.jpg

Good to see you around :wave:

Well cured bud of charlie´s Panama Pelo Rosa/Pink Hair cut that I grew outdoors ...rusty :D

014.jpg

Lucky 7

Rusty, heh; the C99 always turns rusty no matter how green she is when given the chop . . . . wondered many a time why, but considering the product who cares!

I've always said there's something in that strong equatorial sunshine that makes the strains special. Naturally though in the 70's we thought 7% to 12% THC was good stuff; now many are 20% :)

I suppose the high of old school Red was similar to my cross of WW X C99 or C99 X W Rhino . . . . one cannot overstate the danger of operating heavy machinery after such a smoke break :smoky:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They measure thc different now than when they first started. They measured all the trichome for thc, now they measure just the cannabinoids for thc. Result is a higher reading today, although levels of thc have risen overall as well.

Bottom line is the Panama or Acapulco or Thai were just as good as the best today in thc and better because of the long flowering cycle under intense sun brought out trippy effects of the other terpenes and other chemicals which affect the high.

Dawn

Hi yesum, very nice grow. I am interested in the PR and was wondering what type of weight you achieved with it?

Thanks,
Dawn

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I got around 2 oz. with 165 watts combined of LED and 1 fluoro tube. There was one green pheno that was dense and weighed twice the others or 1/2 oz. I had ph problems in veg and nute burn in flower, so that may have had an effect too. Most of the phenos had little weight and were fluffy.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Uncured Panama Pelo Rosa/Pink Hair grown outdoors :dance013:

DSC08020.jpg

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hola DD :wave:

The bud above wasn´t even half dried LOL
here´s a little bud from one of her daughters...Panama x DC F1 vintage 07 grown outdoors this year
One of my absolute favorites :dance013:

gold-1.jpg

Superstone

Great thread!

Great thread!

Thinking about growing the Panama,Tikal,and/or Orient Express and Punta Roja.Great info!:wave:

Is there much burnout after smoking Panama sativas? Sounds like it from some descriptions..."every bodies actin' lazy fallin' out and hangin' around" and "nobody feels like workin', Panama Red is back in town". ;)

Beautiful pics everyone, hope to try Panama genetics next season. My first high was "redbud", which I suppose was Colombian back in 1980. Grew the seeds from that bud given to me by my cousin from my Aunt and Uncle's Whittman sampler stash box. Great imports back then.

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I was only 16 and I was an extreme redneck by reputation and had been anti-weed all my young life thanks to a law-and-order dickhead father and growing up in the land of radically oriented redneck.

Then I walked in on my brother as he was smoking a bong. I had no idea what the appliance even was. He was sucking on this thing and there was this weird odor that I knew wasn't tobacco. He was home on leave from the Navy and had brought a bag of Colombian Gold brick with him. He had paid $30 for the bag and within 20 minutes of debate he had me in my car cruising down the backroads as he packed a stone pipe.

You could say I developed a taste for it...

Then he left and went back to Chicago and I was left to reach out to the heads (who I had mercilessly harangued just days before - much to my embarrassment and shame) and one offered to take me to a friend of a friend.

And that's how I met up with Panama Red. Panama Red became my first purchase and I was paying a premium of $35 a lid to get a full hand bag of stem buds and very little shake. They offered a smoke and then things were different. I found it to be earthier than the Colombian Gold and not as expansive in the lungs. This made for larger inhalations and that is where the wheels came off my carefully contrived image.

Within 10 minutes I was so seriously hammered I was sweating. I was so paranoid about not looking cool and blowing it in front of my friends that I managed to keep it all strung together until we got out to the car and then I told my friend there was no way I was going home anytime soon. It was all in the head with a total wipeout of equilibrium - my head felt as if it were a bobble doll but I wasn't bobbing my head. I spent that evening cruising around at around 6 mph and giggling. God I could get addicted to giggleweed.

I loved Panama Red because the flavor told you it was unique and it was plain fun.

Is that what is available today? I dunno. A great memory if nothing else.

Last edited:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Within 10 minutes I was so seriously hammered I was sweating. I was so paranoid about not looking cool and blowing it in front of my friends that I managed to keep it all strung together until we got out to the car and then I told my friend there was no way I was going home anytime soon. It was all in the head with a total wipeout of equilibrium - my head felt as if it were a bobble doll but I wasn't bobbing my head. I spent that evening cruising around at around 6 mph and giggling. God I could get addicted to giggleweed.

sig-worthy !!!! :tiphat:

someone sig this, mine's way to full.....

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ Funny as hell mpd! I dunno about this stuff as being what you had, but the head feeling funny, unsteady I can relate to.

prince kali

wanna answer in the words of paracelsus..
"Dosis sola facit venenum"

especially with strong sativas we gotta find out the hard way ;)

EDR

Raco, that's some fine looking weed there . . .

FYI, the 70's version of Panama Red was devastating smoke; basically couldn't move for a few hours.
Had a friend who had a pound of it; got high one day & hid the # around a huge equipment building. It took him months to find it, oh yeah, most of the party was over when this shit came out!:hotbounce:party:

What did it look like? How did it taste? Who the hell knows after several hits man, you coulda been stomped by the angels and still been high as fuck.

2 cents; Lucky
That was the Panama red I remember. Hard hitting and potent as any of today's strains. The term devastating is very accurate for the Panama red I smoked. Would love to get my hands on that strain but really don't think it's out there anymore. The best of the Colombian golds didn't hold a candle to that stuff.

EDR

I was only 16 and I was an extreme redneck by reputation and had been anti-weed all my young life thanks to a law-and-order dickhead father and growing up in the land of radically oriented redneck.

Then I walked in on my brother as he was smoking a bong. I had no idea what the appliance even was. He was sucking on this thing and there was this weird odor that I knew wasn't tobacco. He was home on leave from the Navy and had brought a bag of Colombian Gold brick with him. He had paid $30 for the bag and within 20 minutes of debate he had me in my car cruising down the backroads as he packed a stone pipe.

You could say I developed a taste for it...

Then he left and went back to Chicago and I was left to reach out to the heads (who I had mercilessly harangued just days before - much to my embarrassment and shame) and one offered to take me to a friend of a friend.

And that's how I met up with Panama Red. Panama Red became my first purchase and I was paying a premium of $35 a lid to get a full hand bag of stem buds and very little shake. They offered a smoke and then things were different. I found it to be earthier than the Colombian Gold and not as expansive in the lungs. This made for larger inhalations and that is where the wheels came off my carefully contrived image.

I loved Panama Red because the flavor told you it was unique and it was plain fun.

Is that what is available today? I dunno. A great memory if nothing else.
I smoked some in between class's in high school one time. That was a huge mistake as I had a speech to give in English. All I could do is laugh and before long I had the whole class laughing and in tears along with me. What a trip. That was mid to late 70's.

Latest posts

Latest posts