What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Springtails in coco

C

chefro420

Anyone ever notice lots of springtails in their coco mix? I was watering last night and noticed 1000's of little white thing( I guess spring tails) doing the backstroke. I read up and it seems they are not harmful . They just eat fungus and decaying matter, and actually may be beneficial.

G

Guest 18340

Sometimes I have them, sometimes I don't. They never seem to do any harm.

C

chefro420

:dance013:

About had an anxiety attack at first! I thought root mites!! No maybe root aphids!!

:laughing:

GrnEyes

Do springtails actually "jump"? I saw some lil white things that looked lime springtails appear to jump around on my coco ...like a flea right after I watered.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Do springtails actually "jump"? I saw some lil white things that looked lime springtails appear to jump around on my coco ...like a flea right after I watered.

Never noticed that. Usually you see hundreds of them floating and squirming in runoff. For some reason the float in a group.

From wikipedia -

Members of Collembola are normally less than 6 mm (0.24 in) long, have six or fewer abdominal segments and possess a tubular appendage (the collophore or ventral tube) with eversible sticky vesicles, projecting ventrally from the first abdominal segment. The Poduromorpha and Entomobryomorpha have an elongated body, while the Symphypleona and Neelipleona have a globular body. Collembola lack a tracheal respiration system, which forces them to respire through a porous cuticle, to the notable exception of Sminthuridae which exhibit a rudimentary, although fully functional, tracheal system.[10]
Most species have an abdominal, tail-like appendage, the furcula, that is folded beneath the body to be used for jumping when the animal is threatened. It is held under tension by a small structure called the retinaculum (or tenaculum) and when released, snaps against the substrate, flinging the springtail into the air. All of this takes place in as little as 18 milliseconds.[11]
Springtails also possess the ability to reduce their body size by as much as 30% through subsequent ecdyses (molting) if temperatures rise high enough. The shrinkage is genetically controlled. Since warmer conditions increase metabolic rates and energy requirements in organisms, the reduction in body size is advantageous to their survival.[12]