What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

jump117

Veteran
Here is Sugar_Kremlin ladyboy absolute amber.

Introduction.
Firstly I have to notice the term absolute here is not about the absolute ethanol.
I’ve posted about this double extraction for several times as for the method of removing bubbles and a garbage from a primary BHO.
As was said right - a picture is worth a thousand words, thus I made a photo session to illustrate what do they (and me) mean talking about absolute and concrete.
Start from the quote to refresh.
Absolute (fragrance)(click)
Used in perfumery and aromatherapy, absolutes are similar to essential oils.
They are concentrated, highly-aromatic, oily mixtures extracted from plants.

First, an organic solvent, such as hexane, is added to the plant material to help extract the hydrophobic compounds.
This solution is filtered and concentrated by distillation to produce a waxy mass called concrete.
The lower molecular weight, fragrant compounds are extracted from the concrete into ethanol.
When the ethanol evaporates, an oil -the absolute -is left behind.

Fragrance extraction(click)...Although highly fragrant, concretes are too viscous - even solid - at room temperature to be useful.
This is due to the presence of high-molecular-weight, non-fragrant waxes and resins.
Another solvent, often ethyl alcohol, which only dissolves the fragrant low-molecular weight compounds,
must be used to extract the fragrant oil from the concrete.
The alcohol is removed by a second distillation, leaving behind the absolute. ...

Ethanol extraction is a type of solvent extraction used to extract fragrant compounds directly from dry raw materials,
as well as the impure oils or concrete resulting from organic solvent extraction, expression, or enfluerage.
Ethanol extracts from dry materials are called tinctures, while ethanol washes for purifying oils and concretes are called absolutes.

The impure substances or oils are mixed with ethanol, which is less hydrophobic than solvents used for organic extraction,
dissolves more of the oxidized aromatic constituents (alcohols, aldehydess, etc.),
leaving behind the wax, fats, and other generally hydrophobic substances.
The alcohol is evaporated under low-pressure, leaving behind absolute.
The absolute may be further processed to remove any impurities that are still present from the solvent extraction.

Ethanol extraction is not used to extract fragrance from fresh plant materials;
these contain large quantities of water, which would also be extracted into the ethanol.

(end of quote) The last sentence in the quote is dogma, see the topic in my signature.

Female plants were reversed into banana ladyboys via colloidal silver stimulation to reap 2cc+ of fem pollen yield.
Reversed flower in addition to bananas consists of a sepal and adjoining parts covered with trichomes full of resin.

Sure they are very much poorer in compare to sensimillia buds.
The flowers were prepared with a manicure scissors to open a covered resinous parts and to remove a poor fragments,
then placed into extraction pyrex teapot and chilled at -20C together with a lid.

Primary non-polar extraction.
Pre-chilled "London" butane (250 ml / 139 g, $2.35) was sprayed into the extraction teapot through the lid port (white in brown lid on photo), at outside temperature +14C (57F).
The plant matter was floated and stirred in the butane during 10 minutes, no boiling was observed.
After that solution was coffee-filtered into the evaporation teapot (with glass handle on photo)
and was placed on the top of the coffeepot, suitable by diameter and shape, filled with a hot water as the double-decker to evape butane quicker.
Plant matter is full of bananas. It was fresh frozen before the butane run, now its wet volume is 160 ml (cc).

After evaporation of butane is over the inner surface of the evaporation teapot is covered with a transparent film of a primary non-polar extract.
It is a concrete also known as BHO.

Secondary polar re-extraction.
To take it from a teapot together with secondary polar re-extraction, the ethanol 96% was added into a teapot.
EtOH doesn't dissolve everything from BHO.
Butane dissolves some waxes and fats that is insoluble in ethanol while the good resin dissolves in EtOH.
Tiny undissolved flakes were coffee-filtered off the solution.

The final evaporation was made on a soup-plate evaporation bowl over the boiling water.
An absolute was collected with a razor blade when it remains hot.
At room temperature it is a brittle amber. After broken in two parts it may be soldered together back with a heat of a lighter.
The coin is russian 10 копеек its diameter is 17,5mm (~0,7").

I've read a recommendation not to smoke the silver processed plants.
Probably it was said about STS and was transferred to CS unspecified, I don't know.
I hope this amber will not make any harm to the health and on the contrary will probably be a medicine against respiratory infections and against a bad weather outside.

jump117

Veteran
2nd and 3d runs

2nd and 3d runs

The second run
to see what does remain in the oil-cake was one minute ethanol wash.
It is black and non-sticky at room temp. Note the volume of plant matter decrease.

The third run
was the butane direct flow extraction. Now the dried plant matter was reduced to fine particles through a strainer and loaded in my smallest tube type extractor.
Note the volume reduced in five times against fresh uncrumbled in the begining.

The insoluble part is seen on the wall of a vessel. Note it is green.
I left it from evaporation but the extract was small, black and gooey although it was extracted with butane with its great selectivity.

Great posting.

1st time I've seen butane added to cannabis rather than sprayed over it for the "drip" effect. Would the butane not evaporate too quickly? If not how did you prevent its evaporation even during straining through your filters?

VERY INTERESTING process bro!!! I may explore this myself as I often suspected that the butane does not spray over all my cannabis in my honey bee extractor.

I've never done a second run after an initial bho run. Do you dry your butaned cannabis then the 2nd run or did you go right to the second run after making your BHO.

Great thread and excellent photos bro!

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As usual, excellent work and documentation bro! Thanks for sharing!

GW

jump117

Veteran
repetition

repetition

It is accepted to confirm the authenticity of assertion by the repetition of result with the repetition of the conditions.

A year back I photographed the process of secondary extraction by ethanol during the useless attempt at decarboxylation below the boiling point of water.
Then I did not have data about effect of heating time and temperature on the THC content,
which I more lately read in the notes of icmagger G.O. Joe, who cited the Journal of Chromatography.

picture.php

Decarboxylation barely occurs below the boiling point of water.

Then also was observed incomplete dissolution of BHO concrete in ethanol
“…leaving behind the wax, fats, and other generally hydrophobic substances”.

… I used BHO made from Mazar, …

Then BHO was removed from a vial via dissolving in ethanol.
Some clouds appear in ethanol, I suppose it was condensed or accidental drop of water. Coffee filter stops nothing.

Then it was evaporated and collected again ...
… BHO dissolved quickly without sediment but shows a cloud like a piece of cotton wool hanging inside the solution,
it was not looking like milky homogeneous mix of ethanol with water, the "wool" was looking more structural like any gel substance. …
I filtered this through a coffee filter and observed none or very minimum slime residue in a filter,
the solution passed through the filter became clear and transparent, it was evaporated on double boiler and collected.
picture.php

jump117

Veteran
...1st time I've seen butane added to cannabis rather than sprayed over it for the "drip" effect. Would the butane not evaporate too quickly? If not how did you prevent its evaporation even during straining through your filters? ... Do you dry your butaned cannabis then the 2nd run or did you go right to the second run after making your BHO. ...

This method of low pressure butane extraction frequently use associates from UK420.

Only that I made for preventing the explosive boiling at the beginning was the pre-freezing
of evaporation teapot and extraction teapot with the cover together with the material inside it.

At outside temperature +14C (57F) there was no boiling of butane during 10 minutes of extraction and further filtration.
For the best thermoinsulation it is possible to use a thermos flask as the extractor.

In the described case additional advantage was the use of the fresh chilled material.
The frozen juice does not make possible for solvent to penetrate inside the plant material and to dissolve there unnecessary components.

I didn't dry butaned cannabis before 2nd EtOH run. After 2nd run the material was dried, it dries fast after EtOH.

ElRubio

Veteran
Very appreciatted info and pics jump as always!

Thank you very much mate, enjoy that amber.

best vibes!

Mud Man

Sumthink Stinks
Veteran
amazing knowledge and skills here! i will dig.
That amber and your CLEAN approach is an inspiration for my future

U

ureapwhatusow

officially bad ass

Amazing what our brothers and sisters from round the world bring to the table

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jump what a great job you did in composing this thread, great presentation, excelent information, and images..DD

Rafflesia

Yeah! Good job bro!
But, if i have understand, maybe this bho is dangerous four your health, do you smoke it?
If you smoke it can you post smoke report?

Bye

jump117

Veteran
AA from seeded buds matter

AA from seeded buds matter

Hi ICMaggers, Thank You for the kind words!:thank you:

Chapter II. The Absolute Amber from Sugar_Kremlin fem seeded buds.

Buds were pollinated by their banana silver ladyboys and finally riped.
I reaped the yield of fem seeds from the fresh buds with a tweezers and left them to dry their sepals to the night.
Was gifted with fingers and tweezers charas to color up the further labor.
To the rest fresh buds matter I applied the same technology as above.
Exposition in butane was 15 minutes at temp outside +24C (75F).

Reap the seeds, ______ tweezers charas, ___ income buds matter.

Primary extraction by butane - concrete a.k.a. BHO.

Secondary extraction by EtOH - wax and fats flakes, filtering, whitish slime in filter.

Collecting of the Absolute Amber.

AA shards separate and soldered in one.

AA on the fem seeds.

picture.php

jump117

Veteran
AA from dried sepals.

AA from dried sepals.

Next day sepals were dried and seeds were separated easy. I extracted this special parts of the flowers by butane via tube-type extractor.

I was surprised with this green color, never seen this before. No pistils, no red!

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts