What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Cooled Growers Unite!

toohighmf

Veteran
Yeah digital hippy, thanks for bringing your experience to the table. next time I run 8 ballasts, there will be 32 hoods hung! lol!

Auto Pimpn

Im pretty sure in the video he has (6) 1000w lights with (6) 8in coolers, (2) 8in fans, while using the 3 HP Self Contained Chiller...

http://www.hydroinnovations.com/product6.php

Also in the VIdeo he says u can put in valves for garden hose DTW if something happens to the chiller.

Couldnt you just not use the chiller and DTW with city/well w if say only using 1-4 lamps? Saving $1000's....

My water is cold aprox 45-50 from the tap. Thats cold enough right?

just some ideas....

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im pretty sure in the video he has (6) 1000w lights with (6) 8in coolers, (2) 8in fans, while using the 3 HP Self Contained Chiller...

http://www.hydroinnovations.com/product6.php

Also in the VIdeo he says u can put in valves for garden hose DTW if something happens to the chiller.

Couldnt you just not use the chiller and DTW with city/well w if say only using 1-4 lamps? Saving $1000's....

My water is cold aprox 45-50 from the tap. Thats cold enough right?

just some ideas....

I'm going to be taking a tour of his factory soon enough. Plan on heading out in the coming weeks.

Let's just we here at IC like to go the extra mile to ensure something is worth our while.

Updates To Follow
Mr.Wags

Oh and to be able to use water from the tap.? It recycles the water with a chiller to give it a constant feed from your tap might work but damn man it's gonna run all the time.

toohighmf

Veteran
I been to chillking and Hydro innovations. I met the owner and his wife. played with the gear and asked a lot of questions. it's what got me interested in watercooling.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Before anyone gets upset, nothing of substance has been edited. The only things removed were assorted F bombs and the like...

Let's play nice, people.

toohighmf

Veteran
I'm going to be putting this project down for a minute and just hang 4-8kw and go this round. I'm not making enough $$$ to buy 1-1/2 rooms worth of gear right now. I have a chiller being built from a friend who took my 24Kbtu window unit and converting it to a 2hp. it won't be done for another month or so, so I'm just going to light up what I got for now as quickly as I can.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I've been thinking of picking up one of the big commercial heat exchangers from heatexchanger.ca, probably a 3-4 fan unit (they make up to an 8 fan I think, it's 12' long!)

I've got a lung room I could put a 2-3HP chiller and a big res in so it's technically indoors, but would be insulated and have a fan pulling heat off it. No HVAC installs, only a couple lines to run, and I already have a 50A circuit set aside for a chiller or AC. Overall it'll cost about the same as a split AC, but it should run less often than an AC and use less power. Just needs to cool 8 lights at a time so it should work out I think.

Listen you guys. Most of this is over my head, but I do have a question that might get
answered here. I am going to run a small house here in Europe. It will be three bedrooms- CGE,
and I´m planning to cool each room with it´s own split AC unit. I´m not woried about
consumption so much as efficiency. It gets really hot here in the summer. Is there a way to
help the external units on these babies to operate better by somehow augmenting the
cooling with water flow?
If this is fundamental and already covered somewhere, I´d appreciate a link.
Thanks,
SW

Last edited:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If a good chiller is more than twice as efficient as a window a/c unit I'm having a hard time seeing how that is a disadvantage.?

Yes you need cold water that's what the chiller is for correct.?

Now if this system is improperly installed I can see problems but to be able to have one system that cools your lights your co2 burner and your rez I find that to be beneficial no matter how you look at it.

The manifold is 350.00 from them so they include instructions on how to go to your local hardware shop and make one yourself so with that in mind seems to me their business practice shines in a different light as compared to those that gouge us for overpriced toys.

Just A Thought
Mr.Wags

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Did anyone get anything out of all of that? :shark:

What a bunch of BS don't let the door hit ya there monkeydo.

Let's see all the equipment he says that creates heat he says. 1 Exhaust Fan,1 chiller,3 or 4 oscillating fans that I had anyway and a 1/2 hp pump.

Wow that's a lot lol what a tool and my tag line fits you well.

We will see very very soon.
Mr.Wags

thanks for getting the douche/negativity out the thread mane!!!

seem like too many haters or users who set the shit up wrong with a chip on their shoulder...

i hate when people blame the technology instead of operator aka taking responsibility

this can be a very informational thread for the people looking to watercool

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
hvac-talk.com is a good start

I did HVAC work for years...

Please, explain how heat transfers to air better than water. Air to water intercoolers are superior to air-to-air intercoolers, as anyone who owns a turbo car can tell you as well.

Water cooling is more efficient than air cooling.

A closed-loop watercooling system is more efficient than any compressor-driven air conditioner, using a chiller, pump, res and heat exchanger. It will run less often, use less power, and will do a more efficient job than a regular split AC.

Watercooled grows are very popular in Canada, and have been for many years. Any HVAC tech that thinks its a laughable solution is ... just trying to protect his job.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
why are you so afraid to learn something new, or be taught that this so-called magical solution isn't so magical and in fact is a waste of time & money for people w/o free cold water for dtw aka "once-thru" applications?

Dude for real what the hell do you think the chiller is for.? To simply run water through it and not get it cold doesn't really take a brain surgeon to figure out won't work.

Your point is noted we get it. And yes you are CORRECT. But once again whoever you are it's the chiller that cools the water b4 recirculation. That is not so hard to understand.

shrapnel

a water chiller simply exchanges heat from a liquid source.

Heat (or "a BTU", we'll say) doesn't just disappear into nowhere, into thin air, or whatever. That BTU plus more is simply moved from one side (growroom) to another, where ever your chiller is located. (That's what just about any cooling device, whether it be fridge, A/C, water chiller, whatever, does. It simply moves a BTU from one side to another, while adding additional to it from spent energy.) The first method in which it removes / exchanges heat is via air-cooling, and the final method in which it removes / exchanges heat is also by air-cooling. All you are doing is using water as a refrigerant in the middle, without using an evaporator or anything to improve efficiency.

If you are gaining any efficiency at all, it's simply because that decent new chiller you just bought just so happens to be more efficient than that piece of shit window unit you're trying to replace.

You can gain higher efficiency and save yourself a ton of money & headaches in the long run by simply getting a higher efficiency A/C unit (a high-SEER mini split is a good choice to start with.)

why water-cooled grows are popular in Canada?? (And also, why they're unpopular in the US or anywhere w/o access to cheap cold water??) Do you know why there's a .ca at the end of heatexchanger.ca? It's because cold water is available for very, very cheap in Canada, exactly opposite of the case where you live. I'm not sure about California, but in many states this DTW type cooling is illegal for the very reason that there isn't a nearly unlimited amount of water.

your growroom is not submerged in water (at least I hope not), meaning you'll need an exchanger that can handle the amount of BTU's (although I don't know it, there are ways to calculate based on fins per inch, fan CFM, water temperature, etc). That's an air exchange right there, isn't it? For that heat in your growroom to be removed, it has to be first absorbed by the water. And for that heat from the water to be released, it must be taken out by the chiller.

is there not a compressor in a water chiller? Is a water chiller not simply an air conditioner that removes heat with a different type of heat exchanger for liquid?

Read my previous post, and any posts regarding this matter, and you'll see I noted it'll work only if you have access to (nearly) free cold water (aka DTW setup).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Oh for pete's sake:

Dude, you're arguing that heat transfers better to air than it does to water, which isn't true by a mile and you should know better.

A chiller only needs to run if the water in the system/reservoir exceeds a certain temp. An AC compressor has to run whenever the thermostat tells it to. Considering it takes a smaller chiller than an AC to cool the same-sized room, and that it will run less often (look up kinetic temperatures) and not waste any water, it is AC that is the weaker and less efficient solution.

For example, I've been told by several places that it would take a 3 HP chiller to cool my room which is 36000 BTU of cooling, vs a 5 ton AC which is 60000. Gee, it takes almost double the AC to do what watercooling does. And the chiller/pump/fans still use less power than a 5 ton AC.