You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Soil > Flushing

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Flushing Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 AM #1
00bladerunner

00bladerunner will become famous soon enough00bladerunner will become famous soon enough
Flushing

Just curious as to how people growing with a soilless medium are flushing before harvest.
I've always done about a 10-14 day flush. I usually go by tasting the leaf stems for bitterness and it usually works out great for me. But I'm growing a more sativa dominant plant then I normally grow which I'm going to cut at about 70 days from what I'm seeing so far. So I've got about 4 days left. I usually don't check runoff ppm but have been experimenting with it a bit this time. I flushed tonight....I grow in 3 gallon pots. So tonight I put 5 gallons of water through each one and checked runoff. They were still showing 700-800PPM in the runoff after 5 gallons, but chewing the leaves is showing no bitter taste, they actually taste pretty good. Seems a bit high to me, but cant taste any bitterness.
Does anybody do runoff checks?? And what do you look for as a ppm number before chopping.
00bladerunner is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:05 AM #2
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Taste is subjective. 3/4ths of the population have "up to" an average ability to taste and smell. I prefer 300ppm or less in the root zone near harvest time. Personally, I slowly fade the available nutrients the last few weeks. Since I'm in DWC, the "flush" for me is changing out the res with pure r/o. Within 5 days I see around 300ppm, sometimes a bit more and I harvest.

Everyone is different.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 PM #3
mexweed

mexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura about
my plants are in 5 gallon when they finish, the last 4 weeks are just water, 1st week until runoff, 2nd week 5 gallons, 3rd week 10 gallons, 4th week 15 gallons, so by the end of it I have ran 6x's the container size of water through it
mexweed is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 PM #4
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexweed View Post
my plants are in 5 gallon when they finish, the last 4 weeks are just water, 1st week until runoff, 2nd week 5 gallons, 3rd week 10 gallons, 4th week 15 gallons, so by the end of it I have ran 6x's the container size of water through it
This is close to the same output, depending on your soil composition. My concern would be to make sure they dry out quickly enough.

I can imagine it's rather smooth smoking.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 02:43 AM #5
~SpacedCWBY~

~SpacedCWBY~ will become famous soon enough~SpacedCWBY~ will become famous soon enough
I use a flush formula from cyco nutrients. Just add it to the water the last 2 weeks. No hard flushing required. I've always been a proponent of good hard flushing until I found this stuff. So much less work.
~SpacedCWBY~ is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 03:35 AM #6
wutwut

wutwut is a jewel in the roughwutwut is a jewel in the roughwutwut is a jewel in the roughwutwut is a jewel in the roughwutwut is a jewel in the roughwutwut is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexweed View Post
have you noticed lower yields?
wutwut is offline Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 10:47 AM #7
mexweed

mexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura aboutmexweed has a spectacular aura about
this is my first time growing these strains and doing this type of grow so nothing to compare it to yield wise, but I would have to say this is one of my best grows

they are top dressed at week 4 and fed a strong tea at week 5, week 6 is the plain water until runoff and I added microbes to it, weeks 7, 8, and 9 are the container size+ flushes

I get runoff from only feeding 1 gallon of water/tea, so up until the week 7 flush they have never had more than 1 gallon dumped on them, and they have been staying wet enough that I only water once a week, which I attribute to the top dressing amendments worm castings help retention and soil alive has yucca

can do an 8 and 9 week strain the same way because you can retard the flushings by a day, so on an 8 week the final flush would be on day 53 then let go 3 more days

for a 10 week I would do another tea, microbes, and light mother earth at week 6
mexweed is offline Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 08:36 PM #8
mexweed

after the first 5 gallons through them the fan leafs and other foliage are looking really drained, the runoff looked like a tea though, they're going to get hit again tonight if the runoff starts to clear up I may just do container sized and not double or triple up, calyxes swelling and some new not orange pistils coming still
mexweed is offline Quote

Old 12-19-2018, 08:36 AM #9
00bladerunner

00bladerunner will become famous soon enough00bladerunner will become famous soon enough
SpacedCBWY...... do you find your stuff burns as good and tastes as good with the flushing agent??
I haven't tried the flushing agents yet but started looking into them. I add a lot of water the last 2 weeks with lots of runoff. But your right, the heavy water flushing is a lot of work and eats up a lot of time. So I'd definitely be interested in trying these flushing agents... maybe do a little experiment next time.
00bladerunner is offline Quote

Old 01-07-2019, 06:05 PM #10
Rico _El_Guapo

Rico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the roughRico _El_Guapo is a jewel in the rough
Iíve found different outcomes depending on what media Iím using. Back when I used a 3 part Iíd flush for the last couple weeks, but noticed the plants were a little shocked using a clearing solution.

I guess it was trial and error at that point.

I found that I washed away all the microbes and the plants didnít like that. I ended up using a little bit of the run off water mixed with enzymes, and the plants seemed not to stress as much.

Now that I premix my soil (because Iím lazy, and I find it easier to just ph the water) I supplement with humic and folvic up to the last couple weeks, but still add some enzymes and carbs to the flush.
Rico _El_Guapo is offline Quote