Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Root zone PH dropping - help!

Thread Title Search
Root zone PH dropping - help! Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 03:14 AM #11
Fourtay

Fourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura about
@douglas.Curtis the plants are picture perfect except for a couple of browning hairs. All a good shade of green, no dark, no light.

@bongfu I have been told that runoff ph measuring isn't accurate also, I just don't have any other way to spot monitor the plants. I have been told that doing a slurry test is more accurate but I am unable to gather a quantity of medium from the pot as it is all root consumed. I am currently using GH 6/9 Greatfulhead coco formula. I wonder if I could add citric acid before adding nutes then ph adjust after nutes? Or should I ph adjust before nutes? Additionally, it was also recommended to me to use citric acid at 1 gram per gallon then potassium hydroxide to ph to 6.5, feed this to plants immediately, but im not sure which approach to take.

I was thinking about doing 200ppm calimagic then reducing the 6/9 formula to where my final ppm is 1.0 EC
Fourtay is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 AM #12
TanzanianMagic

TanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the rough
"GH 6/9 Greatfulhead coco formula. "

What's GH Greatfulhead coco formula? Can't find it online.
TanzanianMagic is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 AM #13
Fourtay

Fourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura aboutFourtay has a spectacular aura about
Hey TanzanianMagic

This is the link, the whole thread is great. Many successful coco guys use it

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=55683
Fourtay is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 AM #14
Fourtay

Bongfu thank you for this! Do you recommend after I add the citric acid to the tap water, should I then immediately raise the ph back up to the 7.0 tap water start point before adding nutrients? Thank you
Fourtay is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM #15
maimunji

maimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud ofmaimunji has much to be proud of
Here is master grower C64 i ask him many questions. He give me solid explain.
To me run off not accurate ignore and keep growing.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=337484
maimunji is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM #16
f-e

f-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nicef-e is just really nice
Well your seeing the numbers on the meter, and the plants telling a story of sadness. Somethings not right. The big hammer answer is simply more run-off, and be sure you have enough drip emitters to distribute the liquid everywhere.

Your waste EC is very close to the supply EC. With just 20% run-off, that seems a little off. 20% higher is more typical. But then your not feeding much compared to what I would be doing. All plants are different, but I run a baseline 1.3 which is bumped up around now, towards maybe 1.6 as they pack the weight on.

A theme here is that your using feed with low ca/mg and people are saying you have signs of it.

I think I would get some proper food and put through about 3x more fluid than normal, to wash away your mistake. EC 1.3 if you like, but what are you growing that wants so little food? I would use some PK to bump that up to 1.4 at least. Tomato's and cucumbers are good with 2.5 while 1.3 is suitable for a lettuce.
f-e is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM #17
BongFu

BongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtay View Post
Bongfu thank you for this! Do you recommend after I add the citric acid to the tap water, should I then immediately raise the ph back up to the 7.0 tap water start point before adding nutrients? Thank you
Just raise pH to your desired pH for growing. So generally 5.5 to 6.0. Oh and pH buffer after adding nutrients..
BongFu is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 PM #18
TanzanianMagic

TanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the roughTanzanianMagic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Hey TanzanianMagic

I take it this is your first coco grow?

Forget about complicating things, start thinking about simplifying things.

Go with Canna Coco A+B, a flowering food of your choice, epsom salt, pH down, and a pot of magnesium lime or Maerl.

Fill the pots with a drainage layer of perlite or hydrotone. Fill the rest with coco coir and nothing else.

Keep the pH at 6.0 throughout the grow so the medium pH and the nutient pH are the same and nothing challenges the pH buffering capacity of the coco coir.

Start with a bloom food solution of 0.4 EC on top of the water's EC, whenever you've planted a seedling, or repotted or need new roots. When you see the roots, switch to 0.4 EC of Canna Coco A+B, and follow the manufacturer's instructions from there.

If you want to read a book for inspiration, read:

The One Straw Revolution, by Masanobu Fukuoka

His question always is: how much less do I need to do? That really boils down plant growing to it's very essence.

If you want to switch to growing organically, check out:

True Living Organics, by The Rev (latest edition)

I use an adjusted version of that, focusing on feeding and protecting fungi.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 AM #19
BongFu

BongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enoughBongFu will become famous soon enough
Yep if this is your first grow you've started out on the back foot by using the wrong nutrients. Whoever told you to use GH in coir gave you some seriously crap advice. You need a coir specific formula because they contain more Cal-Mag to accommodate for Cal-Mag binding by coir CEC sites.

Good advice by TM - keep it simple. Most importantly focus on environment. Temp, RH, root zone oxygen and moisture. What you may be experiencing is that plants release organic acids through the roots into the substrate (root exudates such as citrates) and if plants are unhappy this may be an outcome.

Definitely soft water may be an issue and even where using a coir nutrient you may need to use additional Cal-Mag at about half strength.

And yep read some books to learn the craft. So the right environment (environment is king) along with the right nutrients for coir will go a long way to fixing your issues.
BongFu is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 AM #20
TanzanianMagic

Quote:
Hey TanzanianMagic

For inspiration, check out:

First Coco Grow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm25EL76WKA

Quote: "The easiest way of growing that I've ever come across."

Also, you don't need their Rhizotonic root stimulator, etc. if you have flowering food, which works better than any root stimulator.