What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A good "How To" on topping?

I haven't been able to find any clear info, photos, and diagrams on how to go about topping!

OG had some FAQ's that read like greek to me!
(... and no, I don't speak greek! lol) :p

I'm ready to try it, but oh so confused and hesitant!

'Danks, muh peeps! heheheh :D

~JazzY~

Soggy

Jazzy

you can either A) cut the top grow tip so that the two main grow tips below it become your main tops...or you can try FIMing which I believe gives three instead of two tops...in that technique i believe that you dont cut the whole top off but cut it down so that is just leaf remnants...then the two tips from one node below will shoot up at if it were topped but then eventually that tip that u stunted should catch back up to the other two growth tips so in turn you have three tops to your plant. there really isnt much to it...hope that helps! Ive always found experimenting to be the best way...on my last set of clones i topped about 1/4 of them to see how they would compare to untopped clones...good luck girl!

peace
soggy

Robhpx13

I train my plants for 6-8 main dominante colas, cut and sell the rest for energy transference purpose's/clones. dont tie a knot around the branch, but instead "hooK" your hemp wire around middle of branch, then tie "knot" on the main tree.

Thanks omega... but that's the FAQ that reads like greek to me! Those diagrams are so beyond unclear! The line that leads you to "cut here" points to the stem of a fan leaf... confusing! heheh... but thanks anyway!

Soggy, that definitely helps. Experimental plants aren't in my grow right now... really hoping to keep them all. However, I realize a new technique is always going to be trial and error, and I guess I'll go for it on my outdoor plant tomorrow. (It's my least favorite! teehee!)

Robhpx, thanks for the advice on the hooking technique. I'm always very gentle no matter what I'm doing to my plants! :)

So...... anyone else know where I might find a good photo or diagram of exactly how and where to cut? :D

~Jazzy~

Just get a razor blade and cut just under where the top leaf set comes in... its uber simple. the second you see a set of leaves, cut just under them :)

deZerTomB

sorry no pics

sorry no pics

I cut 2/3 to 3/4 of the top growing shoot (the flower or bud part, not the stem) and then alot of branches will form. Or you can clone from the top & this will have a similar effect & hopefully give you a clone.

stay green & safe

deZerTomB.