What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrients and Strains

G

I have a question on soil recipes used by breeders and their effects on strains during the breeding selection process and being used through several generations.

Can the plants genectics become predisposed to this specific nutrient regime after a certain amount of time, or am I reading way to much into plant genetics over time?

Mods feel free to move this to the breeders forum if you feel the need.

G

Come on guys! Was this a stupid question? I don't care if you think it is. Just say so I won't ask these kind of questions.

Just trying to interact with you guys.

deZerTomB

ok

ok

I resisted because I'd just be guessing. I am just an amatuer grower and just learning about breeding for personal use only. Most of my limited knowledge comes from field of heredity vs. environment in determining IQ.

ok here we go.Can the plants genectics become predisposed to this specific nutrient regime ?

I would say not as much predisposed as selected for a specific environment.

I'll explain, short answer: to find the best genetics you would keep the environment constant over the run of the selection process. In other words you would grow all plants the same way using the same soil, nutes, lights, temps, humidity for all the plants so you can find the best ones thereby removing the environment variable and isolating the genetic variable. Of course this is based on the assumption that plants end result are a product of environment & genetics, so by keeping environment constant, genetics will be only variable factor.

But by doing this you are unwittingly choosing the best genetics for your particular environment is true, but there are not a lot of variations in what is generally accepted as the optimal environment for mj. In other words everybody grows in the same general conditions using the same basic nutes anyway, so unless your breeder is using battery acid & bleach for nutes or growing underwater at the bottom of the ocean you will be ok by trying to duplicate the generally accepted ideal conditions for mj.

Also consider that you do your own genetic selection by growing the beans in your environment then selecting the best ones for mammas & pappas, thereby selecting genetics that prefer or are predisposed to your particular environment.

So the short short answer i guess is: Can the plants genectics become predisposed to this specific nutrient regime (?)

YES

But like I said I'm just guessing.
(I need a bong hit after that) ...ahhhh better now...
peace
stay green & safe

deZerTomB

G

Thanks deZerTomB for the most informative answer. I am not a breeder nor do I aspire to be, I'll leave that to the pros. Just have a thirst for knowledge about this plant and am just trying to learn.

I really asked because I usually grow Bog's strains as a personal preference and his soil mix is no secret, and he appears to have great results as I do with it. But a wild thought ran through my brain and I had to ask.

Thanks again,

deZerTomB

right on

right on

bigmo I saw in your gallery the bog strains, looks good, keep up the good work.

good question.

deZerTomB