What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distilled Water pH

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
This may be another one of BuzzBob's silly a$$ questions, but is bottled distilled water always pH 7.0 {neutral}?

Here's why I ask... I just obtained the Hanna Checker 1 meter. An insert that came with it said it was precalibrated, however when I tested it in the 7.01 solutions that came with the meter, it was like way off! {Maybe I didn't presoak the pen long enough...} So I tweaked the calibration... {Bad move probably!} Then when I compared the meter's readings to samples tested with drops, it was all catawumpous! :(

So, now I am trying to determine the best way to get this thing re-calibrated, and I am thinking that if bottled distilled is pH 7.0, then I'll just calibrtate against that.

Does that sound okay?

Thanx!

Last edited:
G

Did you get the calibrating liquid that comes with it?

The pens and meters sometime use a different setting or multiplier to get your correct reading. My Hanna acted a little goofey at first until I got it beat into submission. I have an EC/TDS meter and not the ph meter but it is probably the same

Tex

G

I can't imagine distilled being 7.0 ph or higher. In my parts it runs around 6.0 or lower. Isn't distilled not good because all the essential minerals have been removed? I use purified.

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey TK! Thanx for the reponse!

The meter I have is listed here: http://hannainst.com/products/testers/checker.htm -- Mine is the low end one, Checker 1.

Yes, it came with the "buffer" solutions. A 7.01 packet, and a 4.01 packet. Very small, really, and hard to get enough to really test with!

I definitely concur with "goofey," and beating it into submission {with a BFH} did come to mind last night. I have since read where several people have had problems with this thing... I wish I could afford a better meter, but for now this one will have to do. And until I can trust it, I will back up all observations with liquid drops tests...

So, testing against distilled water is not a good plan?

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey Boinkadoink,

Thanx for your feedback too! Much apreciated!

I am still learning all this schtuff, so I am certainly no authority... But my impression is that "Distilled" can mean several things. Most bottles called distilled will have fine print detailing the processing methods used in the distillation. i.e., Reverse Osmosis, Microfiltration, Ozonation, etc.

I am not sure what "purified" water means exactly... What are the methods used in its production?

I thought I had read that using distilled is a good thing, as it does start you off with no contaminants... Am I wrong in this?

[edit] P.S., In case anyone reading this is wondering, there is no way I'll ever be able to use my tap water... It is some seriously nasty stuff! Very high Clorine, and Floride additives. Plus, I am sure, a lotta other nasties... People in my town cannot keep an ice maker working for more than a year, it is so hard! [/edit]

Last edited:
G

Purified here means reverse osmosis, charcoal filtration, and ozonation. Disstillation has the same process but adds steam distillation and micron filtration. I was told that distillation takes out some minerals that are useful. Just what I've heard.

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Interesting... So, I reckon I have to question myself now on the use of Distilled vs. Purified. :(

Ohhh jeeze.... This makes my head spin! Time to take toke... ;)

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Maistre said:
WallyWorld distilled water is 7.0 on PH and 200 ppm on TDS
200!!! Wow! What meter are you using? I bought my pH and TDS meters at the same time... My reading on WW Distilled is 0 ppm.

And I am getting like 28 ppm on A/C condesate, with a 6ish pH... So far today, my A/C has produced like 1.5 gallons! :eek:

G

I run purified water that is charcoal filtered, triple reversed osmosis the whole nine yards. That water I run is 22ppm and my local tap water is 280ppm(pool water basically)

I also found a Pure Blend nutreint program that makes the ph balance is a non-issue. It has ph buffers built in. So, I basically quit checking my ph except on a whim and I only watch my ppm readings from the meter.

Tex

G

Has anyone used one of those Eliminator R/O systems? They are supposed to be close to 0 ppm i think. I was thinking about buying one. The 90 gal a day one is like 210 or something. Uses a thin membrane, high capacity carbon block pre filter and a high effiency 1 micron sediment filter. You can attach to garden hose.