What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old Growers becoming obsolete

packerfan79

Veteran
I think the future is in catering to the small home growers. Equipment, seeds , clones, consulting. Breeders can thrive, but the competition is crazy. The taxes and out of state buyers will keep the black market alive, f

I just run seeds for now. Variety is my goal. It's more enjoyable than pumping out weight.

I have tried a few cartridges but they seem weak. I do think in those days of convenience and instant gratification vapes will take off among the masses.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Good thread.

Honestly, from what I've been able to discern over the past 20 years or so, us old growers aren't becoming obsolete nor are we going anywhere. Mark my words: there will come a time, soon, when people start catching on to how sedative and boring retail marijuana has become. When that happens, everyone will be looking for the good, old time, full spectrum cannabinoid experience, and flavors. And I don't expect the profit-driven motives of the industry will make accommodations for long flowering sativas, or high-CBG varieties.

I'm personally very glad that I never made a career out of selling cannabis. I don't make a lot of money in my actual career, but it pays the bills, and has allowed me to stick with what I like about cannabis and cannabinoids without having to follow industry trends, because that part of my life is about pleasing myself, and not customers.

I also think I'm the only person here (apparently) who finds Cookies, OG, Chem, and the like, to be a very boring high.

Different strokes of course.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Used hydro equipment.. WTF do I do with it all!??

And can you imagine the marketing BS that will evolve??

Klompen

My health has really gone downhill the last year being unable to get herb. I would be glad to be just a hobbyist growing a modest amount for myself without having to risk my life and freedom to do so. Guys in legal or semi-legal states take for granted how bad things are still in the more regressive parts of the country. As noted earlier, as you get older it gets harder and harder to just fine herb out on the streets. Plus, I have no other connection to anything criminal so that also limits my access. I'm fine with it becoming a niche hobby.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
My health has really gone downhill the last year being unable to get herb. I would be glad to be just a hobbyist growing a modest amount for myself without having to risk my life and freedom to do so. Guys in legal or semi-legal states take for granted how bad things are still in the more regressive parts of the country. As noted earlier, as you get older it gets harder and harder to just fine herb out on the streets. Plus, I have no other connection to anything criminal so that also limits my access. I'm fine with it becoming a niche hobby.

And.........??

Klompen

And.........??

What are you missing in my post? I'm not afraid of legalization, because it will improve my access to it and I will still engage in hobby growing instead of just buying. I just wouldn't have to worry about being hauled off to prison and missing my child's childhood.

St. Phatty

What are you missing in my post? I'm not afraid of legalization, because it will improve my access to it and I will still engage in hobby growing instead of just buying. I just wouldn't have to worry about being hauled off to prison and missing my child's childhood.

What state are you in ?

I remember you might have said something about Ohio.

Klompen

I'd rather not be too specific but its not Ohio. Is a Midwestern state. There is next to no culture of growing here, and herb is extremely expensive. Even that boring generic dispensary weed flooding out of Colorado is 60-70 an eighth, and ounces are 300-400 generally. In some of the legal states you can get half a pound for that kind of money. I'm no longer young enough to really just go party and find connections and I am not really into the whole drinking and partying thing anyway. There's legal CBD here, but they've mandated that it cannot have any THC whatsoever in it. Even getting CBD here has been a long and bitter fight against basically all the state Republicans and at least half of the state Democrats.

Hydro8

I'm not afraid of legalization, because it will improve my access to it and I will still engage in hobby growing instead of just buying. I just wouldn't have to worry about being hauled off to prison and missing my child's childhood.

I feel you, . I live in Colorado but remember when growing was a felony. You had to go on a year long commando mission risk your family, freedom and everything you had to grow a few plants.

In 2008 you could get a red card for $100. and it was basically risk free. It changed everything, after that anyone could grow. Now people have plants like they do BBQs or back yard pools. If you have space you grow, if you don't you still probably grow.

I feel positive that it will be legal/(not a felony) nation wide in the next few years. Where people can hobby grow with out going to prison.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I didnt know if you had decided to give it a go or just an 'OK to do' opinion.

What state do you live in? Hauled of to prison for one plant? Even here in Florida, growing one plant does not make 'prison'..
but I do understand paranoia.. good luck, go for it..

Now I'm going to become equated to the old guy making plum wine in his basement. Or the guys who still develop film negatives in their darkrooms. AhHH...Happy Birthday to me.
So we're normal people again, we won the fight? Nah, still a long way to go for that, we're moonshiners now instead of drug dealers, which is a step up, but still not enough.

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Some how I get the feeling a bunch of old farts are hanging here......remember $10 lids....$5 match box and Blonde Lebanese hash. I used to eat LSD back then like it was candy. Orange Sunshine.....How about ludes....White Cross....Black Beauties....on and on....how did I survive the 60's....must have been the music and sex....

Mengsk

I brought a flowering plant to this backyard 19 years ago when we moved here. Although that was about it, so thank you to the old growers for doing what you do. There aren't many lessons to be learned as far as I'm concerned outside of reading and learning from the OGs here it's hard to name names because many of the posts are from years ago. But there are definitely still people rocking it today too.

Long story short I was talking to a therapist not long ago and they were tremendously helpful for me with many things and in not such a long period of time. When the doctor who may prescribe antidepressants is explaining, I won't say giving a pitch, I am thinking afterward or beforehand whether I might suggest that cannabis is doing it for me. Not a miracle cure, not by itself not by a long shot, but it is a real part of my daily routine. Without picking up weed again after ten years or so, I'm not sure where I'd be now.

At first it was kind of scary and I was worried that I made bad decisions or needed to resolve several issues in my life. Slowly over time I kind of picked up as in I suppose what the prozac claims to help do. Not something I'd share on a forum but my perception of those issues in my life changed, I am not saying they went away or got better but I feel as though I did. And I can kind of hypothesize on a tin foil theory about how we mostly don't need that stuff to begin with. But it is enough to just be healthy, I think it's more appropriate to call it medicinal cannabis if that is irony or what. It's reminiscent of my earlier days when I was happier with less, and more active. Only today without the addictive tobacco wraps, eating canna capsules is really the way to go, or maybe vaping the gold stuff at lower temperature. Beyond rant now but it's a bigger deal than rec, more of an essential.

My opinion all might not share the same views but if you're drinking alcohol (depressant) and taking prozac or a stimulant or sleeping pills, as in on a regular basis that's part of your life, then your body is all messed up. Don't take my word for it or weigh any one source too heavily, just consider what might be an alternative viewpoint that those drugs and chemicals are the source and cause of your issues or illness rather than a treatment. It might sound ironic but that seems to be a recurring theme. The biochemistry of baseline or depressed or normal or content or happy can resolve itself over time, months or years likely. I don't think weed is a replacement in the traditional sense, meaning I don't feel any pharmaceuticals are necessary (for ~99% of people/times). And while weed might not be necessary for basic survival it also doesn't have to be categorized as treating one particular ailment. It is totally harmless and relatively easy to grow, a person isn't able to overdose on it, there are no adverse effects comparable to pill pharmaceuticals, i.e. no room for second or third parties who are not growers or consumers.

There's a big difference, like you will see zero information on here from primary sources of large pharmaceutical companies involved in cannabis. A big part of the mission for wal mart weed seems to be keeping it a secret. Nobody on these boards discusses specific details of mass produced canna items like vials of cbd or distillate carts. They work, I'm sure they aren't all created the same, but I have seen boxes that remind me of Washington grown apples. What I mean is the package reads like 90% thc but I get more of a bulk, cheap produce feel. They are so clear it's almost as if there isn't actually anything in there at all aside from packaging and metal, ceramic, glass etc. They are so watered down or with such a small dose, the entire effort must be to sell retail packaging materials or the accessories portion of it for a profit, not actual cannabis oil. This gets into larger issues I think but whatever has happened, for daily consumers or "real smokers" or probably anyone that uses thc/cbd for a while, the tolerance and dosing works out in such a way that recreational over the counter is way above and beyond the budget or price range of the average consumer. It doesn't make any sense to take one addiction like cigarettes that can take a big part of someone's budget, and replace it with something wayy more expensive. That is foolish, predatory, unsustainable, all part of the American way I guess not surprised really. The earlier to legalize states flooded the shelves here it looks like and with kind of an electronics storesque retail model equating to 10000% markup on everything.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Some how I get the feeling a bunch of old farts are hanging here......remember $10 lids....$5 match box and Blonde Lebanese hash. I used to eat LSD back then like it was candy. Orange Sunshine.....How about ludes....White Cross....Black Beauties....on and on....how did I survive the 60's....must have been the music and sex....

I bet a lot of those things were good for your immune system.

Klompen

I feel you, . I live in Colorado but remember when growing was a felony. You had to go on a year long commando mission risk your family, freedom and everything you had to grow a few plants.

In 2008 you could get a red card for $100. and it was basically risk free. It changed everything, after that anyone could grow. Now people have plants like they do BBQs or back yard pools. If you have space you grow, if you don't you still probably grow.

I feel positive that it will be legal/(not a felony) nation wide in the next few years. Where people can hobby grow with out going to prison.

I sure hope you are right. I've always loved growing and never really been interested in trafficking(no disrespect to those who do it though). I have a lot of medical issues and having weed around always made me feel so much better except for the expense. There were just a lot of times where I didn't have a situation to do growing in and had to choose between having money but feeling horrible, or having no money and feeling healthy. Man, if I could grow openly with no issues I'd be really getting into some serious breeding and grow out a whole bunch of different strains to make sure I had a wide variety to avoid tolerance issues. Even if we couldn't buy or sell it but could grow and possess it without issue I would be pretty happy with that. Its so insane that thousands upon thousands of people are facing imprisonment for something harmless every year while some places are already openly proving its not destroying society(in fact its often radically improving places that embrace it).

Klompen

I didnt know if you had decided to give it a go or just an 'OK to do' opinion.

What state do you live in? Hauled of to prison for one plant? Even here in Florida, growing one plant does not make 'prison'..
but I do understand paranoia.. good luck, go for it..

I see what you're saying. I'm definitely going to grow some as soon as I possibly can. There's no way one plant is really going to be enough though. When I can get the stuff, we go through a lot of it. I really want a good variety of highs too. I'm not going to start any sort of commercial operation but I want a nice steady supply. It sure would be nice if I could just fill the new yard with it. Anyway I don't have any sort of criminal record whatsoever so I really want to keep it that way. Once you're "in the system", they really allow you no peace. I've watched this happen to others for a couple decades now. I even know one guy who went off to the slammer for a few years and after he got out every couple of months one of the county governments involved would suddenly "remember" some fine they just happened to forget to level against him, and it generally worked out to be a lot cheaper to just pay them than try to fight their validity. He's always working his ass off just to barely scrape by and I don't need that on top of my already bad financial situation.

CrushnYuba

I don't understand why people keep saying things like "people will get tired of the mass produced boring stuff"
If i had 10 unskilled, reliable full time employees and a whole bunch of capital, i could easily crank out 10,000lbs of the best weed you have ever seen. Why do people think that the "mass produced" stuff won't be as good?

Latest posts

Latest posts