What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Another side story, in my long line of neverending projects!

I should make that my next thread 'Dromie's Neverending Project Thread' or something.

Anyway we made some roofing for the misses boat, so it won't be covered in snow and a bit more sheilded then under a tarp.
She did all the painting, where I mounted the struds and cut the roofing sheets to size. (cut each sheet into two)

The acctual screwing we teamed up and did together ... hehehe

This was some leftover sheets from the terrace build, and as you can see they don't go all the way to the fencing.

Now I have all kinda grow equipment, from years back of all sorts of products. Most of the stuff I tested, simply to write articles for a mates growshop.
These Grodan leach trays, are made for grodan slaps but works with other medias as well.

They fit perfect under the gap in the roof, where they will collect the rainwater running off it.

Now it's mainly a question about mounting brackets, to hold all the trays and get them filled with media.
I am thinking a drain layer of expanded clay, and a top layer of well draining organic soil.

I plan to plant the strawberry plants soon, then let the trays rest on the ground and cover them with straw to insulate them a little for the winter.
Then they should be ready, to hang on the wall in spring and let them bloom and grow crazy over the summer.

Not sure if I will need to take them down every winter, I will prolly try and overwinter them on the wall next year.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
What a great idea!

I love seeing 'problems' turned into opportunities.

:tiphat:

Me2 and nothing is hardly ever that bad, it aint good for something.

It's taken a while to get the misses used to, that everything don't have to be thrown out. Just cos it's not being used, or if something is broken. It can often be fixed or used as parts, for something else.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
This season I build raised beds in the garden, I most likely posted pictures of that a while back.

Back then I planted a bunch of stuff, lettuce, radishes, green peas, carrots and onions. I think that was it!

The onions never made it up, im new to growing veggies.
So I prolly did something wrong, I will try again next season and maybe try to pre sprout stuff indoors.
1 green pea plant made it, kinda, well it grew 4 pea pods that all tasted great.
The strawberrys in a different bed also did great

The lettuce, radishes and carrots all made it.
I tried to sample the carrots a while back, thinking they should be big enough to eat.
Only problem was prolly, they almost didn't taste of anything.
The "odd" shape was okay with me, they where very wide at the top and not very long.
Anyway I left them alone, as there where not much point in harvesting and eating flavorless veggies.
Wondering what was wrong, if they didn't get enough nutrients or what.
Everything else had plenty of taste, good growth and havent looked like they needed anything.

Times fly and now it's fall, and getting close to winter.
I just planted garlic cloves the other day, as they supposedly should be planted this time of year around here.
Only thing left in the raisedbed is the dieing lettuce plants, that I hope I might be able to get seeds from. Not sure, but we will see.

Then there is the carrots, so tried to pull one and now they look like carrots.

It's just slightly bit bigger, then I might had expected carrots to become.
And it tastes awesome, full of flavor, crispy and juicy when chewing.

About a ft long :laughing:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thank you guys, still haven't harvested the rest of the carrots.
Not sure how I am gonna store them, either raw in a cool dark space or maybe blance them for the freezer.

Here is some workshop progress

Both sides have been mounted on hinges, and the middle is fixed with screws.

Mounting my vise, but need to buy a new box of M8 nuts.
Only had two left, and will be needing six of them.

Some shelves and cabinet doors, and the bottom part of the build will be about done.
Ordered some vacuum parts in china, so they won't be here for another month.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Planting some fruit bushes, guess im making a shrubberry :D

Gooseberrys, white and black currant, boysenberry
and strawberry rhubarb.
I already planted 3 different blueberrys, and something I don't know the name of. Small red berrys, white and fluffy inside.
Edible but nothing I care for. They look pretty tho, looks like snowberrys just red and not poisonous to humans.

nickman

Veteran
Nice work buddy... keep it up bro...!!!...

All those different kinds of berries. I’ve never heard of gooseberries...

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice work buddy... keep it up bro...!!!...

All those different kinds of berries. I’ve never heard of gooseberries...

I've heard of them but have never had one. I don't think.

That carrot story is hilarious, palindrome. I love it when new growers get awesome surprises like that.

I accidentally harvested my acorn squash too early this year. The plant had died and they were hanging on a clearly dead vine. But apparently you're supposed to wait until they naturally fall off. Not a loss though. I just need to store them in my fridge for another month before I can eat them.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks guys!

I've grown up with gooseberries, hard to describe how they taste.
Early ripen they are sour and sweet, the outer shell is a bit touch but the center is much like a grape and quite sweet. The more and more ripe they get, the sweeter they become ofcause.
They are great for jam, with a small amount of ginger and cinnamon.

I got a red and a regular green one, now Im just hoping the weather will play along tomorrow.
Always a bit more fun, doing gardenwork when it isn't raining.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Got done with the last stonelaying, around the pond filter and tree.

Now it just have to "grow in"
Can't really plant more around the stone setting, as winter is slowly setting in I guess.

Gonna move the pear tree again, replacing it with an Japanese maple at some point.
Just need to find the right one, as they are often grafted here and that's not what I am looking for.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Moved my veg area, to the old HPS room.
Hanging a HGL XB400 I was gifted for testing, along with some XB70 panel lights.

Unplugged two pannels, that where blinking.
Not sure if the ballast got damaged during shipping or what, anyway running 300W for veg should do for now.

Oh yeah, it's a mix of 6 different spectrums.

Gonna test the 70W panels in a cabinet, compare them to my DIY strip lights.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Moved my veg area, to the old HPS room.
Hanging a HGL XB400 I was gifted for testing, along with some XB70 panel lights.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81607&pictureid=1987783]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=79488&pictureid=1987899]View Image[/url]

Unplugged two pannels, that where blinking.
Not sure if the ballast got damaged during shipping or what, anyway running 300W for veg should do for now.

Oh yeah, it's a mix of 6 different spectrums.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=81607&pictureid=1986531]View Image[/url]

Gonna test the 70W panels in a cabinet, compare them to my DIY strip lights.

:groupwave: Count me in :tiphat:

Oh shit! I'm curious how the mixed spectrum LED stacks up (pun intended) to the full spectrum high cri diy strips. Are they similar wattage draw from the wall? Will you use cuts you have grown before to document any deviation in phenotype expression? I've got a feeling you will crush it!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Oh shit! I'm curious how the mixed spectrum LED stacks up (pun intended) to the full spectrum high cri diy strips. Are they similar wattage draw from the wall? Will you use cuts you have grown before to document any deviation in phenotype expression? I've got a feeling you will crush it!

The idea is to put 3x 70W (210W) into one of my cabs, instead of a DIY light in that single cabinet.
The other cabs will be running the 207W DIY lights, and then fill all the cabinets with the same strain(all clones). They are already running on the same reservior, so everything should be fairly equal to do a comparison of the two spectrums.

Atleast thats the plan, still not sure when I will start back up tho.