What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Buying silver

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
CombiBars..

CombiBars..

Check out the CombiBars at JM Bullion. They are generally available. They sell by the ounce and you can break off 1/10ths to trade with in case of a disaster or worse.

I have some that are an ounce and scored to break into penny weights (20th of an ounce). The are assay marked.

AU what fun :party:

Green Squall

Floridian, if you decide to buy online, pay by check rather than credit or debit card.

For example, if you bought a 1 oz American Gold Eagle, you would save 55$ paying by check.

Floridian

Veteran
Thank you GS,valuable information there.Is it because the credit card companies charge the vendors too much?My pharmacist who has been takingcards from me for many years recently started a 300 dollar max on CC's saying they were really ripping him off lately

Green Squall

Thank you GS,valuable information there.Is it because the credit card companies charge the vendors too much?My pharmacist who has been takingcards from me for many years recently started a 300 dollar max on CC's saying they were really ripping him off lately

Probably. It's a win win for both the company and customer.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Subbed :yes:

I have a couple ounces of silver floating around somewhere but I haven't bought any more in 4 or 5 years.

igrowone

Veteran
some numbers for your consideration, counter info always useful
percent of spot you can expect from refiners of silver and gold
90% of spot for silver, 95% for gold - gold has the better flow i guess
98% for gold can be had from the better refiners, but may have other fees in the mix
these are normally the best you can get, unless you sell on ebay or the like where you might get a slight premium above spot
other buyers will give you less
platinum group metals to have a lower percentage of spot, they're a less fluid market

Floridian

Veteran
After doing some reading I think I'm going to go with the 10 oz bars,the 100 oz can be bought at a slightly cheaper cost per oz but the 10 oz is much easier to offload if you have the mind to plus they are just physically easier to deal with.Its between SD and JM bullion,they seem to be the go to guys with JM probably the most popular.I'm going to invest 10 grand,if anyone has any final tips or ideas please let me know about them.Thanks again for the help

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
That's a lot of money to be jumping in with man.
Not trying to sound like a smart-ass, but understand what you're getting into...
don't expect to make lots of money fast, unless you are extremely lucky with your timing..

Another thing, you need to think about what your purpose of buying is..
1. as an investment, hoping to make a lot fast?
2. to keep your paper money from losing buying power, due to inflation?
3. to be prepared for a SHTF scenario?

my silver is currently all in the form of junk silver, (ie : 90% US pre-1965 coins, mostly half dollars.)
but some silver dollars, quarters and dimes. Also some US eagle 99.99% silver coins.

Sometimes silver bars are not trusted, when you go to sell them, because fake ones, and lead filled bars are common.

Even though China is making counterfeit silver dollars (mostly Morgans) counterfeit dimes, quarters and half dollars are almost non-existent.
And everyone recognizes old silver US coins for their value.

"Junk" silver coins actually fulfill the requirements of #2 and #3, whereas bars only fulfill #2, plus the hassle if a buyer is afraid they're fake...

Then you have to think about where you're going to keep it.
At today's value, 10 grand worth of silver is gonna weigh about 40 to 50 lbs and be about the size of a man's large shoebox.
Safe's aren't a good place to stash it, in my opinion, because that's where a pro burglar is going to look first and try to break it open or just carry it off.
Also, if your house is ever raided with a search warrant, they will get the safe open and steal it from you.
If you live in the country, you can bury it (on your property) in large PVC pipes with the ends glued shut. (the best option in my opinion)

Unless you have been reading a lot about silver investment for many years, I would not jump right in with 10 grand this quickly.

idiit

Veteran
i'm a big time silver bug. I have almost all my extra savings in physical silver silver eagles with receipts from apmex. I did have all my extra savings in silver but last week I divested around 15% into ethereum crypto currency. it was super easy to trade my silver for us$ at the local coin shop. getting cryptos is a real hassle but now i'm in and have the crypto currencies stored in my own crypto wallet. 85% silver/15% ethereum cryptocurrency 100% extra savings.

silver $valuations are being suppressed by the us government. this has been proven in court. now's a great time to buy silver at the price it takes to mine it.

silver won't appreciate in value until something big happens. this may be months, years before silver is valued where it needs to be.

the rule in silver and crypto currency is don't invest money you need to pay your bills.

I don't believe silver can go any lower ( until replicator technology comes out) as it already is cheaper to buy than it is to mine and turn into bullion coins due to government suppression to support their strong dollar policy as previously mentioned.

I did lots of homework ( maybe up to hundreds of hours) before making my decisions.

I believe silver is a great mid term investment but they have technology coming out that can make anything including silver out of other molecules so when that day arrives silver will not be "valuable".

here's a good video that goes over this as good as any I've seen. everyone there ( clif, jsnip, bix) are very well informed on silver as an investment)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8snogdLWSI

cryptos could go sky high, or they could go bust. I did my research.

many silver gurus believe in crypto currencies if you do your homework before making your move.

the paper game ( stocks, bonds, ira's, pensions, fiat currency) is a for sure loser imo. I believe for the next 5-10 years crypto currency and more importantly silver are excellent investments but you will be accountable for the consequences of your investment actions so I strongly suggest going to you tube and watching lots of silver videos and crypto currency videos before making your move.

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks Bud an idiit I appreciate your input and didn't make a purchase today for that reason,I want to hear what people think.This is definitely not a quick hoping to make money investment because even I know better,it's just a way to hedge part of my stash and I don't think there is much of a chance of losing money over the coming years and I don't plan on touching it for many years.If things don't look good when I put on some age I'll just leave it to my niece,she's a good kid.I don't want to keep much in a bank account for the reasons I stated earlier about creditors snatching it.I've never had a problem with my commitments in the past but having to stop working and losing my insurance,then getting thousands and thousands in hospital bills last year has made me consider things I might not normally do.I think this is about as safe a bet as I can find,it's not to make money but to keep it safe from creditors and will be stashed in a safe deposit box.Man I wish I didn't have this concern at all,I'm not use to duckin and jiving lol,it sucks.Its actually a pretty small fraction of what I was fortunate enough to be gifted by moms. I wish I had the nads to get some gold too I've just never gambled like this before.I'm so fuckin fortunate people I wish we all could be.Silver is about the safest bet I've been able to find

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, i'm pretty sure if a creditor sues you for a debt the courts can open your safe deposit box, ...it's not just your accounts at risk, if they know you have an asset they will damn sure go after it.

peace, bozo

Green Squall

...yeah, i'm pretty sure if a creditor sues you for a debt the courts can open your safe deposit box, ...it's not just your accounts at risk, if they know you have an asset they will damn sure go after it.

peace, bozo

I was thinking the same thing about safe deposit boxes.

Burying it on your property isn't as far fetched as it seems. I used to be on a prepper forum and almost everyone who had precious metals did it lol.

I also agree with bud about not jumping into it and bars possible being harder to sell. If I were looking to buy silver, I would start off with a few rolls of American Silver Eagles. They do have a higher premium, but are as liquid as it gets. Canadian Maple Leafs are good too.

Floridian

Veteran
Good point jab that never occurred to me at all.Thats one reason I'm here a hundred stoners can't be wrong lol

igrowone

Veteran
important silver tests with magnets
#1 is pretty obvious, use a strong type rare earth magnet, attraction means it ain't pure silver
#2 less obvious, the slide test, silver is paramagnetic, it will cause a noticeable difference in the slide rate when slid at a 45 degree angle with a rare earth magnet

purchasers of silver use these tests a lot

ronbo51

Veteran
i started buying silver at $34. Rode it down to $13 where I bought a lot. The price drop seemed like it was "on sale" to me so I pumped all my extra savings in. Texas Precious Metals is good. Scottsdale Silver was one of the few that took paypal so I bought a lot from them. I got payed through paypal so it was easy. My first position was Canadian Maples. They have a lower premium than Eagles. But in the end I pretty much adopted the most ounces for the least money policy, except I never bought 100 ounce bars. Rounds and 10 oz bars from Sunshine or one of the other well known mints is mostly what I have. One of the coolest things in the wold is opening a 500 oz monster box that is yours. JM Buillion is very reputable and they, too, accept paypal, although just like with credit cards you pay a higher premium than with wire transfers and checks.

As a previous poster pointed out, silver and gold is pretty much dead money. It's totally liquid but is not part of the debt based madness of the current financial construct. It could go up a lot if certain "events" happen, or it could sit in the teens for years like it has. It is a reflection mostly of inflation, and right now we sit balanced in the middle of a death struggle between deflation (unpayable debt being repudiated) and inflation(the supernova of currency devaluation due to loss of confidence in the currency) I usually tell people that it's like this: in 1963 a silver dollar bought a couple gallons of gas, a loaf of bread, a dozen eggs and a gallon of milk. That same silver dollar still does that. Silver is primarily a store of wealth, with the added bonus of no counterparty liability. And yes I would NEVER, ever put silver in a safe deposit box or anywhere else that you do not control. And being a grower you just follow rule # 1. Also, most investors would tell you to dollar cost average your way into a position. Buy some every week over a few months and let the market do its thing, rather than stake a large position all at once. Have fun stacking. It's addictive, ina good way.

Floridian

Veteran
Thanks ronbo I'm glad now that I mentioned the safety deposit box idea,what seemed like a good idea at the time seems bad now in a number of ways.Since I have no plans to use it for quite some time burying it seems like a safe bet,once I've had it for a few days and grow tired fondling it lol

Floridian

Veteran
Hey anyone want to have a little fun and get educated on this matter?.If anybody gets bored today give JM bullion a call and tell them you have 10 thousand dollars you want to drop on 10 oz bars and see what kind of deal you can come up with.Maybe pick a number after looking at the spot price today and tell them this is what SD bullion is offering me.It could be interesting and a little fun.Of course I don't want anyone to sit on the phone 5 minutes waiting for a human voice,I've never contacted one of these places before so I don't know how that part of it operates.I can tell you though if you find me a deal and I get it successfully I will be mailing you a 10 oz. bar,you have my word on that.It would be the least I could do and a pleasure at that.The number is 800-276-6508.EDIT Shit it just occurred to me,I hope this isn't against the TOU.I don't know why it would be but I guess I'll find out shortly if it is.Too bad if it is I thought this was a pretty good idea and could really save me some dough and you all would have something to do some friendly competition for.We will see!

JVonChron

someone touched on this already....but "they" cannot even mine silver for the price its selling at right now(17).its artificially supressed, so i feel like for that reason alone silver is worth it. might want to avoid 10oz bars for the sake of counterfeit, just easier to do on 10+oz bars. the darknet sells the shit out of fake bullion. I see gold more of as a savings acccount that will stay its value. the whole 'an oz of gold buys a suit' idiom.
@floridian-are you saying it would be hard to fulfill an order of those specifications or just concerned with over spot cost? I am about 99.8 percent positive i could make that happen at no more than 1$/ over spot.