What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

G

highonthechroni said:

So HOTC,

I take it you don't believe in flushing?

I personally in my very limited experience have tried both flushing for 0-5 days and flushing for 7-14 days and found the longer flush period to be preferable. :2cents:

I guess we all have our own opinions but you could try to keep it constructive.
:rasta:
-polar

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
hey guys good to see the thread is up and running again sadly i dont use my 150 anymore, indoor is out of the question for me, but outdoor isnt.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
I for one, do believe in flushing unless you have all the time in the world to wait. Here's why......

When a plant is in the last stages of flowering, one of it's natural processes is to stop the uptake of nutrients. This change in chemistry signals the plant to complete it's seeding process. While most of our plants are not allowed to produce seeds, the same signal tells the plant to stop actively producing THC within it's glands. As a result the existing glands start to decay and turn amber. Yes, those amber trichs we all so seek are in fact decayed. By flushing all available nutrients you force the plant into it's final phase and can expedite the process of changing clear trichs to a rich brown hue. Of course, not everyone desires amber. Those that desire less of a couch-lock high will want a higher percentage of clear.

On another front, I'm also a big fan of an extended dark period before the harvest. THC is produced during the dark period and quickly decays in bright light. Two to three days of darkness will increase the potency of your final product.

JMHO so no flames please.

Last edited:
G

pipe dream,

thank you for sharing. I haven't tried the darkness yet. I think I will maybe next round.

-polar_bear

stevr59

i flush at 1/2 strenght for a week and the fianl week i flush with pure tap water but only did the total darkness for 24 hrs next time i will try 3 days and see if it helps

spreadhead

hey pipedream,
your tread was the sole reason i stopped dic'ing around and finally did it!!!! after 2 small grows...1 plant produced 30grams dry my first and 46 my second. this third is not going to be nar that good. i am kinda 1/2 in the soil and 1/2 in the water. 1 clone and 2 seedlings in the water. the rest in soil, 2-c-99 2 week flowering 1 c-99 just started flowering yester day and2 ak-48.

just wanted to say thanks again publically. great "how to" post. i will keep you updated

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
funny how nutrient manufactures develop nutes specifically for the last few days of flower. for example, General Hydroponics' 'Ripen'. use it in the last 10 days for explosive last bit of growth, increased flavours and aroma.

can't argue with them!

It's important to note that once the pot has been flushed properly, there will be NO nutrients left in the soil, so after flushing you must replace the nutrients for the plant to have anything to grow on.

Let the pot dry out some until the soil pulls away from the sides of the pot slightly before you water next, and apply flull strength all purpose fertillizer (20/20/20) so there will be no hesitation in the plants growth due to a sudden lack of nutes.

If you do not do this, the plants will start to slowly turn pale green, then yellow as the N is depleted and chlorosis takes hold. The plant would be basically starving to death.

http://growguide.klozitking.net/flush.htm

Pipedream

Veteran
Wow, we used to average 15 posts a day when this thread was on OG. Now we've gone the better part of a week without a single one. I guess its a combination of our members being spread by the four winds to various other sites around the web, and a bit of paranoia in some folks as well. If anyone is aware of where some of our previous members can be found, please let me know and I'll encourage them to stop by and post a bit here. I really was hoping we would be able to pick up where we left off, supporting each other, but now I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling. Any constructive thoughts?

G

This place is about to take a dump.

Wont be much around for a while. i suppose.

stonerpanda

OK, since things aren't really moving in here, Im going to take the opportunity to ask all my noobish questions at once.

First of all, my pride and joy:

Sweat, blood and tears went into that thing. (literally, I was too stoned to get proper equipment and I tried to strip the extension cable with a kitchen knife. The tip ended up half an inch straight into the tip of my thumb. oops lol) I can't thank anyone enough from the old 150w thread for helping me build my own instead of paying 4 times as much for retail... and now I know how to do it, so Im set when I want to upgrade. Knowledge is power! hehe

Anyways, Im starting my third grow, and hopefully will keep it growing perpetually... only catch is, my entire growspace is 18"x36"x36"! Its one of those industrial metal shelving units that you use in your garage and stuff (like this) Im going to wall in the sides with foamboard coated with mylar, and make a center division. The flowering side will have two small DWCs and the aircooled 150w I made for my last grow, and the veg side will have a small bubbler system and a clone dome with hanging cfls. Its going to be a tight squeeze but with a little TLC and LST I think I can fit it easy. For my first grow, I used the same shelving thing, surrounded by black plastic and fit 5 plants inside.

OK, so now for the questions...

How deep does a DWC have to be for one plant?
I was considering using a wider, but flatter bucket. Would that be ok?
How often do you have to change the airstone in a DWC?
How hard is going mediumless, so I dont have to buy those stupid clay balls?

My last grow, I netted 1.5oz from my one plant... thats only .28g/W!! I have a feeling its mostly due to not having a proper reflector, and how I grew in coir and it just slowed to a halt about halfway thru flowering... both of which I plan on fixing with this grow. I also ordered some GH FloraNova, since my BC nutes leaked everywhere and Im sure the concentrations are fucked now. Are there any additives I should use to maximize my harvest? I take it root stims aren't the best idea for shallow DWCs. But maybe some bloom stuff for flowering?

Pipedream

Veteran
STONERPANDA,

You'd be surprised at how little space you need in your DWC buckets, even for a large plant! My buckets are only 5 quarts/litres big, and I only keep 1 gallon of liquid in them at any time. As long as you have good movement of the liquid, lots of bubbling to replace used up oxygen, and an airspace for an inch of roots above the top of the liquid, you'll be fine. Check out my thread by following the link in my signature or look in my gallery any you'll see what I'm talking about.

You change the airstone whenever the holes start to get blocked up with minerals from your nutes. You'll see the reduction in airflow and know its time. For me, it's every month or so. Once again, check out my thread as I did a full write up just on this subject.

I happen to be a fan of the clay balls for only one reason....I'm growing rather large plants in very tiny buckets, so it gives them something to hold on to and keep themselves upright. If you are going to keep your girls short with LST or SOG, then you can do without them and go with a neoprene collar or similar support. Lots of folks cut rings from "pool noodles".

I'm still sticking with the BC nutes and have been very happy with them. The only thing I add on a regular basis is a bit of H2O2 and a drop or two of SuperThrive. It seems that any time I tried to throw more stuff in the mix, it just screwed things up. And the additional work took some of the fun out of it while showing no additional positive results.

Best of Luck and keep us posted as you move along.

Last edited:

stevr59

OrangeLazaris said:
This place is about to take a dump.

Wont be much around for a while. i suppose.
well lets all hope this site stays up but i was thinking if for some reson it goes down we needs some other place to hang may be like alt pot news group or we could let pipe dream be the hub and send him ower e-mail addy or screen names so we could reforme else where push come to shove and they take all the site out then we still have a way to commuacate and share ideas with out all this mess any one have any better idea lets hear em before it to late. ohhhhhhhh one other thing how the hell do you delet your gallerys pics i cant find any way to get rid of my pics.

stevr59

what i use is a 48 qt sheirlite conaner only 6" high and had very good luck with it allso use foulger coffee cans they work great for getting my clones off asnd running before i put them in the 48 qt its a swc and my box is like 36 by 22 by 21 check out my gallery to see the swc in action

landover80

got a new 150w underway. a little kush and a flo cross. sad to see OG gone. will gather my stuff and provide some content.

G

That homemade ballast looks interesting.

Care to elaborate on the specifics?

Name a place in this thread and im sure anyone who is intersted will make a note for when this place slides out of sight.

stonerpanda

basically, you take it apart carefully, and re-assemble it outside of the case, but the wires that go to the light socket are extended using heavy duty extension cable. then another piece of extension is connected to the power leads that were originally hanging bare out the light.

theres instructions here: http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cach...mote+ballast+growfaq&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1
but the pictures dont work. Skip the part about the light sensor.

Look at the top of the page, mine is an econo.

Last edited:

landover80

150w grow

150w grow

14x18 33"tall
150cfm fan
150w hps remote home depot regent 150w
using dyna-grow nutes
3 gallon rubermaid res

150cfm rated carbon filter, 83f tem (aprox 9degree from room temp)
currently at 250ppm, what sort of nutes is everyone using

used the case it came in for the guts.

helps the temps a great deal

the blue box

Last edited: