What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first tent! Need some help Please

TonyGx

Hi, Just got my first tent!! Its a Secret Jardin DS60 (2'x2'x5'). Yeah i know its small but its all have have room for :( I plan to do a soil grow using Fox Farm soil and CFL lights to start, and I hope to upgrade soon to at least 150w hps. Anyways I have pretty much everything I need to start except a good exhaust fan. The tent is only 20 cubic feet so I know i dont need that much flow, but I do want a healthy amount for carbon filtering. Also noise is a factor as this will be setup pretty close to where I sleep. So, long story short, do you all have any suggestions on Fan/filter setups for such a small tent?? Right now I've been looking at:

1. the 4" ventech 190 cfm they sell with the speed controller, but I've heard the controller causes hum which I'm not really into.

2. Active Air 4" 165cfm, i think they make their own controller for this too and I'm assuming it hums too but I dont know.

3. Hyperfan 6" 315cfm... Yeah i know thats alot of cfm for my tent but I figured i could dial it back quite a bit and still pull through a filter with limited noise. (Still might be too much power??)

4. Can Fan 4" or similar with variac controller to adjust speed. This will probably be the most expensive option but I'm not against that if it will give me the best results.

Anyways, I'm looking for suggestions and/or advice on what fan I need. If you were a sad chap like me with a lowly 2x2 tent, what fan would you use? Doesn't have to be from the list, just looking for any help. Its my 1st tent so I have no experience with these fans. Thanks!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
just get two small fans. one in one out. tent is only 20 cf. you wont need much. use whatever is cheap and fits well. i like these:
http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-HS.../dp/B009OWRMZ6

one intake @ bottom, one exhaust near the top out the filter if you need one.
if your plants are still not moving enough, then get a mini clip on oscillating fan for the inside. if yr broke just get some computer fans out of old towers or something.
my advice is to grow one plant at a time. only top it a few times depending on how bushy it wants to get. flower it when its about half way to the top.

also: keep using cfls until you get a bigger tent. that way you can grow almost all the way to the top. with any HID lamp you are going to need at least 12" headroom or you will burn your plants. i have seen phenomenal results from cfl micro grows. just get 5-10 mini bulbs 40w or whatever you can get, and you got some serious light and you can put them anywhere you want in the tent, this increases light exposure and you wont have to prune your plant much for light. cfls also allow you to have a very balanced spectrum if you want. you wont need to worry about keeping the tent cool like you would a HPS . 150w hps... not even close to good enough to be worth the drawbacks of a HID lamp.

200 - 400w of cfl will kill it in a small tent like that.

good luck.

TonyGx

just get two small fans. one in one out. tent is only 20 cf. you wont need much. use whatever is cheap and fits well. i like these:
http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-HS.../dp/B009OWRMZ6

one intake @ bottom, one exhaust near the top out the filter if you need one.
if your plants are still not moving enough, then get a mini clip on oscillating fan for the inside. if yr broke just get some computer fans out of old towers or something.
my advice is to grow one plant at a time. only top it a few times depending on how bushy it wants to get. flower it when its about half way to the top.

also: keep using cfls until you get a bigger tent. that way you can grow almost all the way to the top. with any HID lamp you are going to need at least 12" headroom or you will burn your plants. i have seen phenomenal results from cfl micro grows. just get 5-10 mini bulbs 40w or whatever you can get, and you got some serious light and you can put them anywhere you want in the tent, this increases light exposure and you wont have to prune your plant much for light. cfls also allow you to have a very balanced spectrum if you want. you wont need to worry about keeping the tent cool like you would a HPS . 150w hps... not even close to good enough to be worth the drawbacks of a HID lamp.

200 - 400w of cfl will kill it in a small tent like that.

good luck.

Cool thanks for the suggestion! Those fans look good. Ill try them out! Right now i have one of those 6" clip ocilating fans and another clip fan blowing out the top but I will try one of those cooling fans and a DIY filter i think. And yes I agree with you about the cfls, I think i will just stick with them for now until I can get a bigger space. Now I have 8 x 33w in 2700k and 6400k and will probably add a few more on the sides as I go. It would definitely be a chore to keep a HPS cool in that small tent. Thanks for the suggestion!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
looks like yr good to go!

scratch that about the intake fan, you probably only need passive intake, any hole in the tent that wont cause light inteference, or even just the seams. if the tent is sucking in on itself then you might want to open up a vent. cool air in @ bottom / hot air out @ top is the idea for basic ventilation/ you might want to mount your filter outside of the tent because your space is so small.

good luck!