What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

reflector or not

marcusg

hello everyone. I have a question. When installing a 1000w halide in a 5'x5' room, 7' ceiling, can i get by without a reflector? The ceiling, walls, and floor are freshly painted with flat white paint, and the halide bulb is older style that is designed to sit at vertical+15 degrees. any input would be appreciated. thanks.

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
It's not ideal, but it would work if you want to surround the bulb with plants & do a vert. I just installed a cheapo $50something dollar parabolic in a 5 x 5 tent with a fresh 'universal burn' small envelope 1000w 4k halide & plants are McLovin it. $50 on a parabolic & $20 on a brand new (no burn hours on it) metal halide bulb wouldn't be a bad investment. Even with no reflector (vert) if you have the $20 get a fresh bulb if yours is used at all.

mowood3479

Veteran
Yea u can get by without a reflector, but unless ur doing a vert style grow it doesn't make much sense to do so..
It all depends on how u r going to set up ur grow...

Irotas

Well a lot of light is going to be wasted and you will have a bad footprint probably with that much space.

M

Mr.Doe

Well a lot of light is going to be wasted and you will have a bad footprint probably with that much space.
Not at all... 6 plants trellised in the arc of a circle around your bulb would work great! I use farm fence with bamboo stakes for the pots. The fence already has an arc from the roll. Cut the fence in 2' to 3' peices and your in like flint. 2"x4" fence in 4' hieght works great!:tiphat:

marcusg

when I checked out the bulb manufacturers website, it said vertical + 15 degrees. does that mean the bulb should sit at that position for maximum efficiency? or does that mean the bulb HAS to sit in that position to function properly?(will it cause the bulb to malfunction?).

marcusg

Just curious. I have an oxygen concentrator that i got from a friend to hook up to a mini oxygen/propane torch for some smelting i was doing. Would it be beneficial to substitute this machine for an air bubbler in a bubbleponics system? I assume this would increase the amount of oxygen available to the plants, but I don't know much about DO. any input would be appreciated. thanks:woohoo: