What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PLEASE HELP! Losing my mind over here.

I dono but there had to be pollen.

Yeah but it was literally the only plant in the room that had any seeds. It's an issue I never had before, and haven't had it since. I heard about a hermie issue with JTR and other TGA strains, that final run with her was just BAD

TedNugget

Calyxes have ovules in em, left unpollinated they degrade, if they're pollinated they grow seed if the pollen's fertile, infertile pollen just hardens up the ovule and gives ya the snap-crackle-pops. Had this problem for a while too, fem beans + overfertilization will do it every time.

What nutes are you using?

Wait, I'm not quite sure I'm fully understanding what you are saying.
Are you saying that the ovule is getting hit by unfertile pollen and that's what is making those tiny white or green seeds?

I agree it must be getting hit with pollen somehow. And the pollen definitely seems to be infertile (since I never get fully formed seeds). It's just weird that I can't find the source of this pollen and that the pistils show no signs of being pollinated (unless infertile pollen doesn't shrivel the pistil?)

I am using organic nutrients. Some bat guano, earthworm castings, humic & fulvic acids, beneficial bacteria & mycorrhizae, sugars for the microlife. Once in a while I will add some General Organics bloom and bio bud additive, as well as amino acids and enzymes (cannazyme) once every week to 10 days.
I try to feed pretty light and I flush with plain RO water for at least 2 weeks before harvest. I learned my lesson over feeding long ago...lol

I don't get any snap or crackle with the buds. They burn smooth and leave a nice white ash. Well, most hits burn smooth. Some hits will be somewhat harsh and taste off (kind of like that burning seed taste, but not as bad as burning a full sized seed).

Also, besides the random freebie seeds I get, I don't buy or grow feminized seeds. I stick to the regular seeds. But it has t seemed to matter as far as these tiny seeds go...

Appreciate the input for sure. I've seen you around the boards and I enjoy reading your posts.

TedNugget

I had Jack the Ripper for about 4 runs, keep in mind I had it for 4 runs just to see what I was doing wrong! She was extremely frosty, but never really swelled up to a decent size and gave me at least 10 seeds each run. Sometimes it's just the genetics man. If I liked the smoke better, i still would've kept her but the cons were outweighing the pros.

Right now I'm running Barney's Farm Critical Kush(OG dominant pheno), BCBD Hash Plant and a SSH x Blueberry, not a single bean on anything! My buddy had a mold issue with the Hash Plant but everything is great on my end, I think he didn't have proper ventilation in his room. I highly recommend the Critical Kush

Do me a favor when you get a chance. Just pick off one little calyx one or each of those strains (I can provide a picture of what I'm referring to if needed), open it up and check for any type of tiny seed. Mine are usually either tiny white or green but I've even seen them look black on occasion.
I ask you to check because the only way I ever even know that there is a seed is by pulling off a calyx and opening it up. Otherwise I would never even know that they were in there because it shows no signs of any problem. They will look fantastic and be super frosty and growing nice and fat...

If there is none of these small seeds I will have to try running that strain. I'm reluctant to run any more kush'a at the moment.
I'm starting to wonder if that's some of my problem. I've ran a lot of chem & kush crosses and am starting to wonder if this is just a trait of the chem strains. But I'd be willing to give any/all of hose 3 strains a try if you find no tiny seeds in them.

Also, I ran TGA's Deep Purple (purple urkel x purple urkel) and it had those tiny seed issues pretty bad too. A friend of mine asked for some clones and when he ran them he seen yellow hermie flowers.
I never seen them in my room, but when he said he had the herm flowers it made me wonder if I had herm flowers hiding inside the bud out of sight...

Thanks for the help. As you can probably tell from my posts, I'm losing patience with this problem (to say the least...lol)

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
Wait, I'm not quite sure I'm fully understanding what you are saying.
Are you saying that the ovule is getting hit by unfertile pollen and that's what is making those tiny white or green seeds?

I agree it must be getting hit with pollen somehow. And the pollen definitely seems to be infertile (since I never get fully formed seeds). It's just weird that I can't find the source of this pollen and that the pistils show no signs of being pollinated (unless infertile pollen doesn't shrivel the pistil?)

I am using organic nutrients. Some bat guano, earthworm castings, humic & fulvic acids, beneficial bacteria & mycorrhizae, sugars for the microlife. Once in a while I will add some General Organics bloom and bio bud additive, as well as amino acids and enzymes (cannazyme) once every week to 10 days.
I try to feed pretty light and I flush with plain RO water for at least 2 weeks before harvest. I learned my lesson over feeding long ago...lol

I don't get any snap or crackle with the buds. They burn smooth and leave a nice white ash. Well, most hits burn smooth. Some hits will be somewhat harsh and taste off (kind of like that burning seed taste, but not as bad as burning a full sized seed).

Also, besides the random freebie seeds I get, I don't buy or grow feminized seeds. I stick to the regular seeds. But it has t seemed to matter as far as these tiny seeds go...

Appreciate the input for sure. I've seen you around the boards and I enjoy reading your posts.

Think it's just ovules then man, get some pics if you can, ovules are pretty small compared to premies.

Here's another thread on the subject:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=137842

Even though that guy's has some pretty giant ovules lol. Glad I could help man :tiphat: Any tyrannical messages were fueled entirely by the alcohol :laughing: 3mo sober tomorrow :headbange

TedNugget

Thanks man.
If it was just the ovules, then why did the plants I used to grow have nothing inside the calyx's? From what I understand, the calyx should be empty... The ovule should not grow into a seed unless it's pollinated.
I am 100% positive that the strains i used to grow had none of these tiny seeds inside the calyxs. I took a break for roughly 10 years and now every new strain I have tried has had this problem.

Some look just like the pic in the thread you posted - that little green seed. Others are a bit smaller than that green seed and they are white. I will try to post pics asap.

Hey congrats on 3 months sober! Awesome man. I am going on 5 years sober from some other substance related "problems".
Just remember, one day at a time when having a rough day.

TedNugget

On a related note - I just found a small stash of my old seeds!!!! They are a good 10-15 years old though. There's some good stuff in there. Some from the overgrow days. Got the old g13, mantanuska thunderfuck, Orange Crush, power berry, original Jack herer, super skunk, and a few that I believe are the original C99.

I'm researching how to crack them. I seen Coots recipe and a few others. Not sure which method to use. I ordered some gibrillic acid too.
Problem is that there is only roughly 3-5 seeds of each, so I can't afford to experiment. I need to find something that will work.

They weren't stored in the fridge/freezer. They were in air tight jars in a dark, dry place. I don't expect all of them to pop, but even some would be great.

This could be the answer to my prayers right here! Now if I can just get them to sprout...

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
no idea lol...Congrats on the upcoming 5 :p No experience with poppin old beans but Coot's method is probably the way to go, good luck man :good::tiphat:

St. Phatty

Is it possible that sometimes the Female plant self-feminizes some seeds - makes them without pollen ... which I thought was supposed to be impossible, but I also believe what you are saying.

No bananas + tiny seeds = immaculate virgin conception ?

TedNugget

The first pic shows the 2 white hairs still sticking out of the calyx before i split it open to show the seed. (how it has those 2 white hairs still alive AND a seed inside I do not know)

The second pic you can see another tiny seed in the one calyx and that green thing to the right is a a seed from another plant's calyx. Notice they are different.

The third pic is of a seed alone.

The fourth pic you can see the tiny seed hanging out of the calyx

Last edited:

St. Phatty

It looks to me like that might be a brach-related or pre-seed structure that our beloved female cannabis plant makes, and that it maybe has not encountered pollen yet.

whiteberrieS

brains1ck
Veteran
You sure you're locked down on the light leaks? Third pic definitely looks like the snap-crackle-pops type stuff.

TedNugget

St. Phatty - if all female plants made those seeds, then why have I had plants in the last that did not have them?
I grew plenty that didn't have those seeds. Then I took a break for some time and now all the seeds I've order seem to do this...

Whiteberries - if you mean snap crackle pop from burning the seeds, then yeah for sure. They don't snap crackle and pop from excess nutrients though.

I keep wondering about a light leak too. I did find one like 6+ months ago. I had been seeing hermie yellow bananas growing from buds here and there, so I spent a bunch of time in my room during dark time and eventually found a tiny light leak. Once I took care of it I haven't seen any hermie flowers anymore. But I'm still having the seeds.

If there's a light leak, I haven't been able to find it. I've done a lot to try and address this too. I wrapped the entire room in a second layer of black&white poly plastic. I triple and quadruple covered lights on a dehumidifier and fan. I went around the room putting taper over any place I thought could possibly be the source of some unseen pin hole light leak. I've spent time in there during all different hours of the dark period thinking maybe there was a light leak during only certain hours of the day or something. I also try to make sure the entire space the sealed room is in stays dark during dark time (so a dark room inside a dark room).

Like I've said, I've put A LOT of time into this problem.

The thing is, this problem doesn't just seem to be limited to my stuff either. I see it in sooooo much bud now a days. I only have a couple of sources these days, so my access to outside pot is pretty limited.
But, All my one buddies bud that he grows is like this. He didn't even know he had any type of tiny seeds until I broke open one of his dried buds and showed it to him!
And then another buddy that used to get all this different good bud from Cali, every batch would have this same problem too.

I guess I'm just going to continue searching for a light leak for now. And keep popping new seeds. I want to try some older strains. Get away from the chem and OG hybrids etc.
I don't need the potency of the chem strains anyway. I'm much more about the overall experience - taste and smell, relaxing high etc. I don't need a stupefyingly strong high...

So whiteberries - did you used to have this problem too? Is that what you were saying before? Or did you mean you got those snap crackle pops from over-feeding (excess nutrient in the bud)?
Just curious how you were able to solve it if you had this same problem I'm having.

Last edited:

mufinman

I do it in a tent, sewing needle holes every where. I too keep the room the tent is in dark when lights out, have even lined a couple of the rooms walls with black felt (walMart) so no light is reflected off them. There are no 'pits' in anything I've grown lately. Cheeses, diesels, skunks. when dry, do they explode like a seed might when smoked in a joint? <maybe that snap, crackle, pop sound??

TedNugget

no they don't explode. The only way I really even know I'm smoking them is the funny taste. Once in a while I'll get a little snap crackle sound. More than anything though, it'll just make the hit taste harsh on the back of my throat. One hit will be super smooth and taste amazing and then the next hit will be harsh and taste funny (totally ruining the good taste in my mouth).

While its growing, it's very hard to tell if it has any of those little seeds or not. But I can tell immediately upon breaking up a bud. It will have all these hard parts inside it that are very hard to remove. Kind of like these little green balls of weed...
Some of my friends actually request it this way! They like the way it breaks up to roll... Lol. They are nuts.

I've spent a bunch more time making sure everything is light proof. I hung some mire black&white poly in places I thought could potentially be even a chance of light getting into my second dark room. Spent more time in the actual room during the dark period. Can't find a light leak ANYWHERE!

I don't see how it would be getting pollinated either. Like my OG that's just over 3 weeks in looks absolutely perfect. Zero signs of pollination. Not one dying pistil. Not stressed at all either. Not one spot on a leaf. Nothing. The calyx's are even starting to swell and the plant is packing on weight quick and frosting up nicely.
But it has those green seeds inside the calyx. They never get any bigger. Some eventually just die and turn white and others stay small and green.
It's so frustrating, because other than those tiny seeds, it would be perfect smoke.

S

sourpuss

U mean seed? Or seeds? Per single calyx. How many seeds you get in the calyx? Normally its 1 per.

S

sourpuss

Very weird. Is there hemp growing outside? Or something thay could pollenate a cannabis plant but end up leaving it those mini seeds. Could another species cause this?

TedNugget

Not that I know of. I would be pretty surprised if there was hemp growing in this area.

As far as another species, I don't know if that's possible. i didn't think it was. I thought that only cannabis pollen could pollinate cannabis plants. I thought the pollen kind of fit the ovule like a key... And again, I don't know where it would be coming from either.

Could it happen from old cannabis pollen? It has been well over a year since I had any males release pollen. I know it doesn't stay viable long... But could there be old non-viable pollen causing this?

The weirdest part is it showing ZERO signs of pollination. Like when I had a little yellow hermie flower (yellow banana on a bud), I would see the pistils on a bud die back from getting hit with the pollen. They still wouldn't form viable seeds, but I at least understood where those tiny seeds were coming from when that happened.
Now, I haven't had any plants throw a hermie flower in well over 6 months. The plants are showing no signs of being pollinated. Yet there is still tiny seeds...
Like I've said multiple times in this thread, I just don't understand it. Unless it's just a trait of these particular strains I've grown - that they just grow these tiny seeds all on their own.
I don't know. I'm out of ideas.

Latest posts

Latest posts