What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Perpetual Grow Help

duke1992

Hello,

I have read through many topics about perpetual cycles, cloning, mother plants....

I am thinking of running a perpetual cycle. The idea is 2x 1mx1m (about 3x3 feet) grow tens with a top (mother + clone section) and bottom section (grow section) with 250 MH lights (grow) and t5 fluro lights for mothers and clones. The flower room would be 2x 600 watt lights.

I am wondering, are the 250 watt lights enough for the growth period? The number of plants would probably be 18 (11L pots) or 32 (7L pots), depends what works best. Quite a number for 250watt light i know, but i only need to rdy them for Flower room.

The same question is for the mother plants and clones, are the T5 good enough to keep mothers happy and produce good clones.

There are a number of threads available on the forum about this topic, but everyone is saying different things and it would be a lot easier if i would hear first hand from someone.

Thank you for your answers!!

Best Regards

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Perpetual's run the risk of infestation, leading to either chopping or poisoning everything to 'fix' the issue.

That being said, T5's make great lights for mums and clones. The 250 might be a bit small for a veg light, since you'll be putting the vegged plants directly into flower. I would suggest a 400w veg light, since it's a good size fit for 1 600w flower light.

duke1992

Thank you for your answers.
i am 50%/50% of doing a perpetual cycle (2months harvest) with mothers and clones or option 2, simply duplicating my grow and starting from seed everytime.
Can someone please explain to me why is perpetual cycle a better option? It would be easier to just simply start from seed and double up on lights, there would be less work involved than with mothers and clones, tho harvests would come in 3,5 - 4 months and not in 2 months but on a yearly basis its the same...

Why is a perpetual cycle (mothers and clones) a better option for a commercial grower?

ThenewCropman

Hey some great questions, and I'm still a newb so I can definitely learn from this.

But from my reading and past work experience for friends, I am not sure that you 100% need a mother ? Before the flip you can take cuttings for clones each time ? By the time the flowering cycle is done the clones would have had a good amount of time in veg.

Rinse and repeat ?

Takes away from needing the mother area in your well executed tent. Gives you another area for more clones? You could even have another cycle going once you get the rotation down.

Just my 2 cents straight from a some what newb.

duke1992

Hey some great questions, and I'm still a newb so I can definitely learn from this.

But from my reading and past work experience for friends, I am not sure that you 100% need a mother ? Before the flip you can take cuttings for clones each time ? By the time the flowering cycle is done the clones would have had a good amount of time in veg.

Rinse and repeat ?

Takes away from needing the mother area in your well executed tent. Gives you another area for more clones? You could even have another cycle going once you get the rotation down.

Just my 2 cents straight from a some what newb.

Great idea, it can work rly well if i can do it that way+ less lights less work and still saves time... New ideas welcome ppl :D

I use to run a weekly perpetual grow where every week, I'd cut clones, transplant, veg, flower, and harvest.

My space was 2 4x8 tents, for flower 4 600w on relays, and I had a 175mh with a couple t8's for veg.

It was a good system for me at the time because I was working at a bar and I had nothing really to do all day.

I didn't have a problem with bugs because, I was pretty good on having stuff clean all the time. I would however bomb the entire space every couple months, and used mosquito dunks to keep the soil pests at bay.

At the time I was using pretty much the entire AN line, so having 3 res drums for different ferts, was a bit of a hassle. Not to mention that I was spending a boatload of dough on ferts.

If I did it again the same way I would mix up subcools super soil mix, and just run straight water, then use some flushing agent at the end. That way in theory id just have to ph the water.

Anyways, good luck. Hope that helps.