What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow, can you look at it?

PinkFFF

Hello , first time growing (any kind of plant), so i started by watching a lot of yt tutorials and i've also read a lot on forums/websites.

So i wanted to give it a try and bought 11seeds(auto's) gave away 3 to a friend and kept 8, did everything right i guess until now.
They're about 11days in and i'm about to transfer them to a 10L(2.64gal) from a 400ml(0.10gal) cup.

But anyway i don't really know how to explain what's going on or if it's good/bad so i'll post some pics and let you tell me what should i do next).

~7days

~ 11 days

Also what are those white small dots under the leaves? flies/mites?(last pic)

I didnt feed them anything
Probably gave them to much water

Attachments

• 3.1.jpg
    3.1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160216 142654 resized
    20160216 142654 resized
    95.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.3.jpg
    3.3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.4.jpg
    3.4.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.5.jpg
    3.5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.6.jpg
    3.6.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.2.jpg
    4.2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.1.jpg
    4.1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.7.jpg
    3.7.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 19

DjKinetics

Cant really make out...im no expert on this kinda thing
Do your cups have drainage holes?
And also i think it would probably be better to not use a transparent cup...
Sure some other members with more experience identifying problems and providing soloutions will wieght in soon.

troutman

Seed Whore
^^^^ Yeah, don't use clear cups next time. Light is bad for roots.

You can probably transplant the plants now if you want.

burmese

,,also,, first help in overwatering//by you// is quickly transplant to dry soil and to bigger pots,, nice youngsters anyway
if you fear of spiders wash plants completely atleast with pure water//or medicine// carefully also earth away and then transplant and keep some food for plants

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...yeah, you need to post up some better pictures with more detail so we can see these 'white dots', sounds like you might have spider mites.

...and you are indeed overwatering which is VERY common with new growers so just back off a bit with the watering and when you pot up to the 10liter pots be sure to water sparingly for at least a couple weeks to give the roots time to spread out into the larger pot.

...don't smother your plants with love, the leading cause of death in young seedlings in the hands of new growers is too much water and attention from those new growers so ogle them all you want but try not to fuss with them too much.

...i would also suggest you learn the 'heft method' to determine when to water and all that means is you need to learn what the weight feels like when they need watering so start lifting the pots up and mentally noting how heavy they feel and only water when they feel light.

...good luck and welcome to the hobby.

peace, bozo

soil margin

Veteran
Most spider mites I've seen on cannabis are reddish/brown but they can change color over their lifespan so it's hard to be positive. A good sign is I don't see any webbing on the plant though so that makes it less likely imo that it's spider mites. As others mentioned I'd give those girls a little wash with some diluted Dr.Bronners soap, or something else organic. If that doesn't take care of the buggers consider some Neem oil.

Cutting back on the watering a touch and transplanting to non-clear containers will help them as well.

XXX_710

Does this grow area have a fan and/or something to bring in fresh air? That plastic can really trap in the heat and moisture. Whatever it is, airflow is important. Get a temp/humidity gauge to give you some feedback on your environment.

You should be able to see an adult mite crawling along. You can smash them with your fingers and they smear. Webbing, of course, is a smoking gun for mites. No reason to be alarmed, just be aware. Above posts (and others on ICmag forums) address what you should do about it.

Good growing. Keep us in the loop.

MrBungle

The white spots looks like spider mite eggs....

To avoid over watering monitor the weight of the pots when they are just freshly watered, and every day afterward till they are quite a bit lighter weight, and the plants are visually asking for water...

Also a fan blowing indirectly on the plants will help strengthen stems, along with assisting in aerating your soil, and exchanging air in your tent/box/room...Unless these are outside?

They look like they are off to a happy start!

Good Work!!

Newbie95

You shouldn't use a clear cut the roots don't need light they need Darkness also you're not supposed to transplant or do anything to stunt the growth of an Autoflower because their life is only so long you want as much growth on them as possible

insomniac_AU

Hi PinkFFF
What medium are you growing in? I would advise against using normal potting mix from the nursury/hardware store. It is usually full of vermin.

PinkFFF

Hi PinkFFF
What medium are you growing in? I would advise against using normal potting mix from the nursury/hardware store. It is usually full of vermin.

Sorry for the late reply, i don't know exactly what medium i'm growing in , from what i've read about soils/mix/soilless mix etc etc what i got is that the soil has to be dark, loose texture, drains and holds water well. So that's what i got and mixed 7/8plants with 40/50% perlite and 60/50% "soil" and on the 8th plant 80% perlite & 20% "soil"

You shouldn't use a clear cut the roots don't need light they need Darkness also you're not supposed to transplant or do anything to stunt the growth of an Autoflower because their life is only so long you want as much growth on them as possible

Tbh i didn't think about the clear cups but they didn't seem to be bothered about them or anything so i guess it was alright, about the shock while transplanting them probably there was none, next day they were so much bigger and stronger no sign of weakness at all.

The white spots looks like spider mite eggs....

To avoid over watering monitor the weight of the pots when they are just freshly watered, and every day afterward till they are quite a bit lighter weight, and the plants are visually asking for water...

Also a fan blowing indirectly on the plants will help strengthen stems, along with assisting in aerating your soil, and exchanging air in your tent/box/room...Unless these are outside?

They look like they are off to a happy start!

Good Work!!

1.I tried the knuckle method to stick my finger in the soil and see if it's wet or not.

2.They are outside, temps are perfect, there's wind, natural light etc etc...

3.That's what i though too, they're spider mites, there where not to many of them, took them off with my finger/little brush.
But if they'll start multiply out of nowhere i'll use something like dish soap + water + rosemary oil

Does this grow area have a fan and/or something to bring in fresh air? That plastic can really trap in the heat and moisture. Whatever it is, airflow is important. Get a temp/humidity gauge to give you some feedback on your environment.

You should be able to see an adult mite crawling along. You can smash them with your fingers and they smear. Webbing, of course, is a smoking gun for mites. No reason to be alarmed, just be aware. Above posts (and others on ICmag forums) address what you should do about it.

Good growing. Keep us in the loop.

They're outside
There where 2 adults that i actually smashed them with my finger
And the little eggs they got rid of them with a little brush soaked in dish soap(very little)

PinkFFF

And that's pretty much how they look now :
7/8 look good in my opinion
there's one that looks really undeveloped
(top right corner,in the brown bag, "no6")

They didn't seem to suffer from any shock while transplanting them, gave them some universal type fertilizer 3,6-2,3-2,7 15ml/2l/14days

As for pots i used those recyclable bags , wanted to get fabric pots, but couldn't find any so i improvised with what i had...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 7.few days younger.jpg
    7.few days younger.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 27 may.jpg
    27 may.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 6.why are you so small.jpg
    6.why are you so small.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 25

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rule of thumb- always plant autos in their final container or transplant soon after, preferably 11-17 or ~20 liter container. You won't reap a worthy crop otherwise. They look ok, but probably stunted having roots exposed to light and being in small cups for that long. Good luck!