What's new

DIY "autopot" system

san2

Hi there!

Not trying to steal or comercialize the autopot idea or anything because it really is a wonderfull and unique product. Just like to build things myself so this came to mind.

I was thinking about the possibility of using the autopot aquavalve for another suitable tray for more pots. The idea of the autopot tray and the aquavalve is that the pots fill most of the space in the trays and the valve lets a certain level of water fill into that empty space. So in a diy system you would somehow need to fill in most of the empty space around the pots in the tray to equal the amount of empty space in the autopot trays to get the best results. Im thinking gravel. Any other ideas?

alexie1

no answers..i will make a valve in a 3d printer and put out 10-50 pots this summer:)

like he said..any ideas?

The valve will fill any size container until the water level reaches around 10 - 20mm and the valve then knocks off ......so if you don't want excessive amounts of water..... Pebbles , perlite anything like that will be fine to fill the space

Because the pots are constantly sat in water you want to put pebbles etc at the bottom of the pot an some porous airline helps to stop the water from going stagnant

Hope this helps

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
During the last drought people were using bricks to reduce the volume in their toilet tanks, and you wouldn't be chasing them around every time you lifted a pot up.

mayorofthdesert

old thread but fwiw i've used single autopot valves for multiple plants in a single tub, worked great. i used a hot glue gun to hold it down, they'll try to float at one point of their wet/dry cyling if not secured. a small amount of weight on top should work too.

Latest posts

Latest posts