What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landscaping Fabric

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Don't do much outside anymore but I put fabric down to control weeds.
Plants were put outside yesterday after a week of acclimation little droopy today, wondering if fabric is heating soil too much and drying it out quickly.

Should I remove it? Being in direct sun. will it heat up the soil too much?

Cover it with potting soil?

picture.php
picture.php

I just use leaves.

I've not noticed a big difference between black or light colored pots, and have never found cannabis to be really bothered by warm roots. I grew on in a big tire last year and it was usually much warmer than the others, and I worried.
Nothing happened though. It just grew and finished well.

I say... try it, enjoy not pulling weeds, and let us know how it works for you.

redlaser

Veteran
It’s probably not affecting temp much deeper than an inch or two of the soil, it will radiate heat more than a light colored surface.

Could put straw or rocks or wood chips to help with the radiating heat if it’s an issue, would help with water retention as well.

Lots of different weed barriers, the better ones allow water through fairly easy, some just have a few holes through plastic every 4-6 inches. Dewitt is a good brand and durable.

Of course once you add straw or wood chips, or even rock to some extent, you are providing little crevices for seeds to get caught in and eventually germinate. Easily managed if caught early though, usually pretty minor unless a bunch of seed is there

Something that breaks down like leaves or straw is effective for weeds if it’s thick enough, four inches is usually plenty for that. Plus it’s great for adding organic matter for a soil grow.

Fixer

I see black landscape fabric used in commercial farming. I can't imagine it will cause a problem. :)