What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anybody ever done a County Property Auction ?

St. Phatty

When it came to buying country property, the magic formula ended up being in the right place at the right time. I was closing on a house on a normal size city lot when a 15 acre divorce sale came on the market.

Anyway, before that, I went to a few Sonoma County property auction things.

I hope those things aren't bad karma, talking about it and all. I know the properties are taken back by the county in circumstances that are usually very difficult for the person losing the property.

Bid4assets.com might be another example.

When I did the property tax auction, I visited about 25 properties. Most of them were in flood zones, or on the edge of cliffs.

Most of them had a curve ball of some sort.

On the other hand, that's not all bad. I looked at a 1 1/2 acre property in Humboldt that shared land with the power company - if I had corn rows they would literally have been between the power poles. Probably would have bought it if I had the extra cash.

I guess you need to have $20K+ in raw cash ready to spend now to bid on the property land auctions.

Some of the properties I looked at were in Mendo, and they were land-locked. 20 acres where the only way to get in was through a neighbor's land that did not provide an easement.

That was 15 years ago when buying a helicopter seemed impossible.

It's easier just to buy your new neighbor a whole bunch of

https://sierranevada.com/beer/bigfoot-barleywine-style-ale/

9.6% alcohol.

I found a helicopter for $130K. Sort of an expensive driveway.

attachment.php

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/32721567/1986-enstrom-f28f

I think if you attach little parachutes to cases of Bigfoot ale, and drop little care packages for your neighbors while you are flying over their land, well hopefully they'll put down their shotguns.

You can fly a helicopter drunk, and there's no one to give you a ticket.

For the properties in the flood zones, can't you just live on a boat ?

One thing I learned in Willits. Some people do not like a vacant property to be bought. They like it the way it is. They know someone buying it means noise and change, and also, attention from county zoning which can make people very nervous.

For hard cases like that you might need a pallet of Jagermeister. :huggg:

Attachments

• helicopter.jpg
    helicopter.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 21

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I went to a police auction after I was released...........a year later and then a couple months later saw my car being auctioned....

we have ways to....:)

igrowone

Veteran
an interesting topic
haven't gone to such an auction, just read about them
some interesting stories with a lot of these properties

White Beard

I lost five acres to a courthouse auction once: I had been quite sick for quite a while, and my wife, sadly, was absolutely no help to me keeping up with things. Don’t blame, was the one who forgot it - but I’m sorry now not to have it.

Those are cash deals: you got more cash than someone else, it’s yours

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I slept with a realtor once.

Probably not the same thing.

But if going to an open house can be that entertaining, I can't imagine how much fun that county thing is!

Let me know when you get that helicopter and I'll bring the bourbon.

:friends:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When it came to buying country property, the magic formula ended up being in the right place at the right time. I was closing on a house on a normal size city lot when a 15 acre divorce sale came on the market.

Anyway, before that, I went to a few Sonoma County property auction things.

I hope those things aren't bad karma, talking about it and all. I know the properties are taken back by the county in circumstances that are usually very difficult for the person losing the property.

Bid4assets.com might be another example.

When I did the property tax auction, I visited about 25 properties. Most of them were in flood zones, or on the edge of cliffs.

Most of them had a curve ball of some sort.

On the other hand, that's not all bad. I looked at a 1 1/2 acre property in Humboldt that shared land with the power company - if I had corn rows they would literally have been between the power poles. Probably would have bought it if I had the extra cash.

I guess you need to have $20K+ in raw cash ready to spend now to bid on the property land auctions.

Some of the properties I looked at were in Mendo, and they were land-locked. 20 acres where the only way to get in was through a neighbor's land that did not provide an easement.

That was 15 years ago when buying a helicopter seemed impossible.

It's easier just to buy your new neighbor a whole bunch of

https://sierranevada.com/beer/bigfoot-barleywine-style-ale/

9.6% alcohol.

I found a helicopter for $130K. Sort of an expensive driveway.

View Image

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/32721567/1986-enstrom-f28f

I think if you attach little parachutes to cases of Bigfoot ale, and drop little care packages for your neighbors while you are flying over their land, well hopefully they'll put down their shotguns.

You can fly a helicopter drunk, and there's no one to give you a ticket.

For the properties in the flood zones, can't you just live on a boat ?

One thing I learned in Willits. Some people do not like a vacant property to be bought. They like it the way it is. They know someone buying it means noise and change, and also, attention from county zoning which can make people very nervous.

For hard cases like that you might need a pallet of Jagermeister. :huggg:
buy the 20 acre parcel, buy the chopper & lease a spot to keep it nearby that dudes home... Visit your land 3 or 4 times a day, but every time going in & out cruise slowly & loudly over his crib, make sure he can see how much you enjoy flying that chopper; somewhere in the 30-60 day range he'll grant you a driveway easement ;)

Sell the chopper, get your cash back on it :)

White Beard

It’s rare to have a ‘locked’ property like that, I’d think: if you were on property entirely surrounded by another person’s property, I think you could sue successfully for an easement, I don’t believe one can be forced to trespass without recourse.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

in minnesota you cannot deny an access easement to any property of 5 acres or more, a parcel that's less than 5 ac. can be landlocked.......