What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CMH vs latest LED tech

Jammal

My worry with LED is the pace of advancement. I feel like if I wait 2 years the current tech will be old news, whereas CMH won't change much. This is based on nothing but my own notions...

Agree. the quality and tech of the 100w CREE COB is amazing, it won't be long before its scaled up to size.

EL Picos

If money ain't no thing you could try 8-16 individual 100w Cree led COB units...

Hi, I have nothing experience with Cree led COB that you speak and don't know this system also, do you have a link where I can buy these lights?
I've seen on China Aliexpress site something like that maybe, can you check that for me if they sell something good?
Excuse my language I'm french Canadian!

Thank You!:tiphat:

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/...xPrice=&isBigSale=n&isFavorite=all&isFreeShip
=n&isNew=n&shipFromCountry=&shipCompanies=&SearchText
=cree+cob+led+100w&CatId=0&g=y&needQuery=n

Jammal

Hi, I have nothing experience with Cree led COB that you speak and don't know this system also, do you have a link where I can buy these lights?
I've seen on China Aliexpress site something like that maybe, can you check that for me if they sell something good?
Excuse my language I'm french Canadian!

Thank You!:tiphat:

https://www.aliexpress.com/popular/...xPrice=&isBigSale=n&isFavorite=all&isFreeShip
=n&isNew=n&shipFromCountry=&shipCompanies=&SearchText
=cree+cob+led+100w&CatId=0&g=y&needQuery=n

yeah, some of those might be questionable, but for the price maybe worth a shot?

Marshydro is a vendor sponsor, pretty solid cree cob

https://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow-light/mars-cree-cob-led-grow-light

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Check put the luxeon lumileds sunplus cobs.. these are proper horticulture cobs.. i like the rose personally.

Thing cmh loses massively on for me compared to leds is the light spread which is pretty messy for cmhs and very linear and even for semiconductors.

Cobs are super duper easy to diy on a heatsink.

EL Picos

Thank You, I will go with these leds instead the cmh, it's for a small cabinet and I will keep the heat sink outside of the roof of cabinet and plants on adjustable shelf. That will reduce a big part of heat, I will put one led by square foot.
Thanks!:tiphat:

Thank You, I will go with these leds instead the cmh, it's for a small cabinet and I will keep the heat sink outside of the roof of cabinet and plants on adjustable shelf. That will reduce a big part of heat, I will put one led by square foot.
i built my own COB LED fixtures using four Cree CXB3590 COB LEDs and a meanwell driver for the same price of that marshydro which only uses 1 COB.. I have 5 total fixtures which is 20 COB LEDs totalling 1200 dimmable watts

kingbrite on alibaba is a genuine dealer of cree COBs.. there are online companies in the states you can order from also. go to rollitup.org to learn more about LED, big community of LED guys there.

Sunshineinabag

This is good info Jammal, thanks. I'm going to do some more reading on the 600W HPS as I hadn't really considered it initially.

Two considerations that factor in:
1. with a relatively low ceiling height and an affinity for sativas, heat is a bit of a concern with any option.
2. The basement stays fairly cool and I will be venting into the house as much as possible to take advantage of the extra heat. It's cold up here in northern Ontario! I have a chimney I can vent into when necessary, but most of the year we can benefit from some heat and humidity. Carbon filter will take care of the smell, and no neighbors to worry about.

I don't care how much reading you do...nothing compares to owning the tech and using it daily for 6 years straight! Sometimes a great southern facing window will outperform ur fancy builds. Just the way it is.

Sunshineinabag

Check put the luxeon lumileds sunplus cobs.. these are proper horticulture cobs.. i like the rose personally.

Thing cmh loses massively on for me compared to leds is the light spread which is pretty messy for cmhs and very linear and even for semiconductors.

Cobs are super duper easy to diy on a heatsink.

Your advice should be either avoided or ignored....judging by your ability to.act like a dysfunctional 14 yr old at the drop of a hat. Let these guys learn from folks with great info! You are cert not that.

EL Picos

Your advice should be either avoided or ignored....judging by your ability to.act like a dysfunctional 14 yr old at the drop of a hat. Let these guys learn from folks with great info! You are cert not that.

You seem to have smoked some powerful bug killer but maybe it was not strong enough yet.

EL Picos

i built my own COB LED fixtures using four Cree CXB3590 COB LEDs and a meanwell driver for the same price of that marshydro which only uses 1 COB.. I have 5 total fixtures which is 20 COB LEDs totalling 1200 dimmable watts

kingbrite on alibaba is a genuine dealer of cree COBs.. there are online companies in the states you can order from also. go to rollitup.org to learn more about LED, big community of LED guys there.

Thank You for these détails, alibaba have some retailers on aliexpress, I bought lot of stuff there because here in Canada we have no custom and taxes fee when we choose the right shipment. I will order parts right there, I have read a lot on these cob leds from a couple of days and like you said I will check also on Rollitup.
What's the closest distance approximately that we can keep mature plants from these leds?

Bird_Dog

Well I was playing around with a measuring tape in my yesterday and kinda changed my mind a bit. I might for now go with a small 3x3 tent which I can fit upstairs in an area that I currently use for sprouting vegetable seeds in the spring. For the 3x3 I'll grab a single CMH 315, and build an LED setup for a 2x4 veg tent (I like that they're dimmable). That will give me some time to play around and decide for myself before going whole-hog into the basement build. No harm in having some small extra grow space in the long run, and I can decide for myself which lighting I prefer to work with without a big initial investment.

First grows will likely be Granny Skunk from Dominion, then some pre-95 Silver Haze! I'll probably do a test run with some Sealevel freebies from Mighty Mite I have leftover.