What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor spring temperature range marijuana can tolerate

Treevly

Things are a bit cool right now. In parts of the southern Great Lakes region the forecast is for temps to be 64F. (high) and 50F. (low) two weeks from now. If that turns out to be an accurate forecast, would (mostly Kush-hybrids) plants be OK with that?
Thanks

therevverend

Veteran
Yes they'll be fine. As long as cannabis seedlings are hardened off they can tolerate much colder temperatures, right down to just above freezing. I would not take them from an indoor light and 70 degree temps and put them out in 35 degree F weather. They need to be hardened off. Otherwise they're fine. My friend had volunteers sprout when there was still snow on the ground in February, lows around freezing highs in the mid 40s F. He had black tar paper on the ground next to some rotten buds, now they're 4 feet tall and raging. After a few days he'd transplanted them into containers in a cold frame which is probably why they've done so good.

I started mine in mid March, similar latitude to you. They've tolerated days when the temperature high was around 50 F and the low was around 40 without getting stunted. This isn't ideal, if it's that cold it's best to put them in a cold frame, up against the south side of a house or barn or window, something that absorbs and radiates heat. For weeks at a time mine were in temps below 60 degrees. Of course ideally you want 60 F or better yet 65 F but outdoor plants are hardy. Kush type plants and hybrids do better in the cold then tropical equatorial types.

Treevly

Thank you. It's a coolish spring. My body likes it, but plants don't. Weed growth is a bit slow.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Thank you. It's a coolish spring. My body likes it, but plants don't. Weed growth is a bit slow.

You ain't kidding. My poor seedlings are growing in spurts - whenever the sum shines - which isn't often. A pitiful start to the season.

Latest posts

Latest posts