What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Root Ball Medicine for Pain, Inflammation and More?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Ok, so I finally got around to pressure cooking some roots.

I washed and then mostly dried them, then they went in the freezer for over a week. Pulled them out yesterday, chopped up a handful with scissors and put them in a jar with oil. I did not pack the roots in and used enough oil to cover them a few mm's deep.

Ok, so... WOW! No, seriously, this is rather amazing. :) It has completely removed most of my pain, leaving only a the deep pain in my hip. Verrry nice. :) I applied it last night around 8pm, and the pain is still much reduced. Very nice indeed.

About 45 minutes at 15psi, then slowly turning the heat down over 15 minutes before turning off completely.
The lid vacuum sealed and the jar sat on the counter until it cooled down.
I used a garlic press to get the oil from the root insides for the initial test.
Today I used a wheat grass, hand-crank juicer to press the rest of the roots.

Any suggestions on a simple, low waste method to filter out the root bits? I was thinking cheesecloth, but it would absorb too much oil?

I wonder if a rosin press would work to extract the compounds?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
FBG, thank you I'll definitely read this a bit later. :D

I wonder if a rosin press would work to extract the compounds?
Interesting thought. I don't know enough about them to know if they can be simply squeezed out. I do know the wheat grass juicer did an ok job, with a lot less effort than the garlic press. lol It's a cheap juicer too, so I can imagine a better one doing a better job. :D

The roots were surprisingly easy to chop through with large scissors, after they had been frozen for a week with a minimal amount of water in them. ;)

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
cheeze cloth works well....wring out or use potato ricer to squeeze. When I make balm, after wringing out, I heat up water in tea kettle and pour water on bundle for a 2nd extraction.

isn't other plant material more beneficial, less work?

whatever workz...right?

Douglas.Curtis

cheeze cloth works well....wring out or use potato ricer to squeeze. When I make balm, after wringing out, I heat up water in tea kettle and pour water on bundle for a 2nd extraction.

isn't other plant material more beneficial, less work?

whatever workz...right?
The hot water wash works, but then I have to separate the oil/water. Thanks though. Pressing is definitely one of the best ways so far. :)

No, the plant material has THC and CBD in it, which will trigger a fail on drug tests. The compounds in the roots work on pain and inflammation without them. I can ship it anywhere in the world. :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The THC level in topical products tends to be far lower than that in smokable or edible products. The fact that applying a topical to the skin only allows it to break the skin/muscular barrier. Lotions, balms and salves don't enter the bloodstream, and therefore do not show up on standard drug tests.

I've made salve/balm with older bud material having arthritis issues...unless you eat it, it won't show up. From personal experience, several urine drug screens showed negative for THC from using balms several times a day.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2014/06...-growing-outside-topicals-drug-testing/12961/

Douglas.Curtis

A lot of people won't take the risk, and I believe it really depends on how you make it. I guess I could make a pure topical, but historically all my oils have been the penetrating kind.

And again, I'm completely un-restricted on shipping when it's made with root material only.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Funny, the clients I have...most between 65-90 don't care if there is thc....I do advise them of the risk, however. Comfort and less pain is what they shoot for.

In fact, talked to a 90 y.o. client about roots....she thought root extraction was too laborious....have to agree.

To each their own....it's good to know ALL parts of the cannabis plant are redeemable in some form or fashion. (I sound old!!) ;o)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok you all....I finished trimming and preening seeds and have 5 containers w/ root balls....they usually go in compost outside. I washed roots in dish pan. Can I decarb and wrap in cheese cloth like I do when I make salve....same process, low heat in crock pot...organic coconut oil and water????

Curious.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Ok you all....I finished trimming and preening seeds and have 5 containers w/ root balls....they usually go in compost outside. I washed roots in dish pan. Can I decarb and wrap in cheese cloth like I do when I make salve....same process, low heat in crock pot...organic coconut oil and water????

Curious.
I generally dry them on newspaper for a few days then cover in organic coconut oil in a croc pot on low for 12-24 hours. Strain after.

Though your cheese cloth idea sounds better. Also if you want to add water anyway, I don't see a need to dry them.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I generally dry them on newspaper for a few days then cover in organic coconut oil in a croc pot on low for 12-24 hours. Strain after.

Though your cheese cloth idea sounds better. Also if you want to add water anyway, I don't see a need to dry them.

Excellent, ReikoX! Thanks! Yes, I buy cheese cloth 80-90 grade on eBay. Most of the time, I can wash it out, use it again for balm/salve. Sure beats using strainer for fine particles.

The burrito method of wrapping up material....definitely a time saver. I'm all about ergonomic ANYTHING due to my own arthritis issues!

Plan to make a batch and see which my client likes better. Adding anti inflammatory oils certainly helps, too...frankincense, calendula with arnica. Awesome blend!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A lot of people won't take the risk, and I believe it really depends on how you make it. I guess I could make a pure topical, but historically all my oils have been the penetrating kind.

And again, I'm completely un-restricted on shipping when it's made with root material only.

Because of the layers of skin,it can be absorbed, but a barrier from entering blood vessels.

Some things absolutely absorb right into our bodies, especially if there are other chemicals present that increase the absorption rate. That being said, most things don’t absorb directly into our bloodstreams through the skin, though they can often penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin.

Douglas.Curtis

Because of the layers of skin,it can be absorbed, but a barrier from entering blood vessels.

Some things absolutely absorb right into our bodies, especially if there are other chemicals present that increase the absorption rate. That being said, most things don’t absorb directly into our bloodstreams through the skin, though they can often penetrate into the deeper layers of the skin.
I'm wondering what happened to my post? Perhaps I walked away without finishing it. Hrmm...

I use lavender oil and other oils which 'do' penetrate to the blood vessels. I even linked a study on blood samples over time, after the use of a massage oil. Interesting stuff. :)

So, for those people I know with 'drug-testing' jobs like state/federal government jobs, having something which won't show any THC is great. :) That, and I completely skip the flowering process. The last batch was made with vegging roots, and it works GREAT. :D

MrBungle

I started collecting the long dangling roots that i trim off my aero clones before I transplant... I don't even have to rinse off any dirt

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I started collecting the long dangling roots that i trim off my aero clones before I transplant... I don't even have to rinse off any dirt

Yes, that part is awfully time consuming, but poured water with root-ball particles and dirt into bulbs and compost. Nice being able to skip that part!

Douglas.Curtis

Normally my bonsai plants would be in hydro, but I'm in limbo right now and everything is in soil. Hydro, bonsai cannabis plants grow so many roots it's ridiculous. Quick rinse and into the dehydrator will be just the ticket. :)

It's amazing how quickly and effectively this oil works. :)

CannaZen

I've wondered about whether the roots are medicinal but as far as i can tell it may be just placebo, what organic compounds have been isolated from the roots that have been found to be beneficial exactly? Please tell.

Douglas.Curtis

So far, the oil from a single plant works about as well as from a few different strains. If there are differences, they're too subtle at this point for my current awareness and lack of experience. hehe

I made a batch last night from a single root ball. 200ml of oil had 10ml Lemon and 20ml Frankincense added. Works great, but I want to change it closer to 3:1, due to the lemon being a bit much. I'm out of Frankincense now. lol

I've been using it on my hip every day for over a week. It definitely increases the pain reduction over time. Without the inflammation, it isn't making itself worse all the time and I'm actually beginning to forget about it occasionally. Slept like a rock last night, without waking for a minute and having to roll over or change position once. Rock on! :)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sound good.

Arnica and calendula, for many, work better than frankincense.

Latest posts

Latest posts