What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

jamaican "lambsbread"

Hmong

Veteran

? x Jamaican crosses; Sept 1st @47N
Pictures taken before sunset, they get 3hrs of direct morning sun, that's it.
I'm quite amazed by the short internodes under these conditions.
This tells you that spectrum is everything and nothing beats sunlight, indoors they never look like that. Not growing them on purpose, they were just seeds germinating from my soil bins in March and I kept them alive for fun.
Deck'23_0901_1.jpg

Deck'23_0901_2.jpg

Grover Sativa

I still have a problem with the concept of "a strain called lambsbread"
I was only once in jamaica but the people i met there explained me that "lambsbread" is weed in a spiritual context and there is no a lambsbread. When u smoke to be better person u smoke lambsbread, when u use ganja for meditation you smoke lambsbread, when people gather to praise god they smoke lambsbread,...

So all those lines called lambsbread dev originated from weed called lambsbread but there are many lambsbread out there and not a lambsbread.
Lambsbread is any weed that's smoked as a sacrament... There was a strain entered into the Jamaican Cannabis Cup in the 80's, which was Skunk 1 x Landrace Jamaican that was referred to as "Lambsbread" in the competition... it was endorsed by non other than Bob Marley himself, who loved it and that's how the term became so famous... also that year an 18weeker pure sativa landrace strain called Longtime Jamaican was also entered into the same cup... my Jamaican line is named after that strain (but it is very unlikely to be the same one..) Longtime weed is just that - any plant that takes a longtime to flower
There is no one actual pure Jamaican strain called Lambsbread... but people love the term and say that they have 'Lambsbread' all the time - fair enough - you can call any weed Lambsbread if it is smoked for spiritual reasons, I guess..

Sorry if that upsets or disappoints...

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Jamaican Cup???Seriously? Marley died in '81....
The word lambsbread became famous many years before, a lot of reggae songs were about lambsbread in the 70's, heard in all the major cities where Jamaican immigrants lived...
I really have no words left... 😔

Grover Sativa

Jamaican Cup???Seriously? Marley died in '81....
The word lambsbread became famous many years before, a lot of reggae songs were about lambsbread in the 70's, heard in all the major cities where Jamaican immigrants lived...
I really have no words left... 😔
I didn't say that this was the first use of the term "lambs bread", just that this is why it became so famous...

There is no one strain called Lambsbread. I'm sorry that this has pissed you off but I don't appreciate your bad vibes. Let's keep this civil and polite.

It could be that I'm confusing two stories with the cup thing...

Last edited:

Grover Sativa

fair play, I edited my post anyway!
you're right! it was the High Times Cannabis Cup 2015 that was held in Jamaica - not in the 1980's The strain was dedicated to Bob Marley, who sang about Lambsbread in one of his songs... it was still Bob who popularised the term, though (even though it had been in use for a long time on the island...)

Sorry, I did get confused but the basic premise stands - Lambsbread is any weed used in a religious ceremony (or sacrament) - it's not a strain..

This is what happens when stoners try to use memory, instead of Google!!!

Rgd

Veteran
2015..oh thats JA on Eendeeka time

Lambsbread may have been gone by the mid 80’s..

and it was not dedicated to anybody ...except JAH

it was a particular variety that maybe the kiddies have never seen

exoticrobotic

Used to get a lot of it in Bristol. Sunshine in a bag.

Always amazes me the range of quality imports available in Bristol, good african bush and amazing Jamaican/Thai sensi.

Used to get some lovely Turkish flat press hash from a Pool hall in Dalston/Stoke Newington 80oz ages back.

It's all 15 quid a gram now o_O

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Used to get a lot of it in Bristol. Sunshine in a bag.

Always amazes me the range of quality imports available in Bristol, good african bush and amazing Jamaican/Thai sensi.

Used to get some lovely Turkish flat press hash from a Pool hall in Dalston/Stoke Newington 80oz ages back.

It's all 15 quid a gram now o_O
I remember moaning like hell cos I had to pay £15 for an eighth of temple ball😂,,

acespicoli

Lambsbread (or Lamb’s Bread) Not ‘Lamb’s Breath’​

e58a0ec05fdf7783223c89ec301d83d9.jpg

Real Seed Co December 30, 2020

biodiversity, ganja, history, landraces

None other than Bob Marley himself explained to High Times about ‘Lamb’s bread’ and what this name really means.
Bob Marley: One time I was in Jamaica, was doin’ a show, an’ a man come up to me, and he gave me a spliff. Now, das de bes’ herb I ever smoke. Yeah, man! Neva get an extra herb like dat again! No, no, no. Just like one tree in de earth, y’know?
High Times: Just one tree?
BM: Jus’ one tree. Sometimes ya just find a tree. It Lamb’s bread.
HT: What’s Lamb’s bread?
BM: De ability what de herb ‘ave ya call Lamb’s bread. Some a dem ya call Bethlehem’s bread. Dat is when ya really get good herb, y’know what I mean?

‘Lamb’s bread’ is a Rasta epithet for good ganja – ‘extra herb’. It’s a name rooted in an understanding of cannabis as a sacrament. Pretty likely names such as this are as old as Rastas themselves. The Lamb here is Jesus, the Lamb of God (Agnus Dei).
The idea that ‘Lamb’s bread’ is or was a strain is yet another example of how decades of modern hybrid and seedbank culture have totally skewed people’s perspective on traditional cannabis cultures. Nowadays, even seed outfits that present themselves as being about respecting those traditions seem determined to shoehorn everything into the seedbank / strain menu / dispensary preconceptions brought to the table by Westerners and youngsters. Misconceptions such as the ‘Lamsbread was a strain’ meme are unlikely to be going away anytime soon.
For a sense of how far gone things already are, even enlightened souls like Amanda Fielding of the Beckley Foundation are penning nonsense for the press about “the famous Jamaican strain ‘Lamb’s Bread’, which was named after Bob Marley’s song, but is actually a product of hybridisation with “Skunk#1” imported from Holland in the late 70s early 80s.”
If there’s a track with that name by Bob Marley, it’s news to me. Far as I know, the original Lamb’s Bread track is a composition by Glen Brown. So far as strains go, it’s very unlikely ‘Skunk No. 1’ seed was coming from Holland to Jamaica in the late 70s or early 80s, because Skunk wasn’t in Amsterdam until c. ’84 to ’85…. And Lambsbread was never a strain anyway, just a name for any ‘extra herb’.
For the Biblical origins of this ganja epithet, this is the verse that gets referenced by aficionados. I strongly doubt this in fact a source, but I imagine Rastas who could settle this give the Internet a wide berth.
Leviticus 23:18And ye shall offer with the bread seven lambs without blemish of the first year, and one young bullock, and two rams: they shall be for a burnt offering unto the Lord, with their meat offering, and their drink offerings, even an offering made by fire, of sweet savour unto the Lord.
Far more likely, the Christian Eucharist (Holy Communion, Mass etc.) itself is most important here, rather than this verse. The name Lambsbread is all about cannabis as a sacrament.
As for ‘Lamb’s breath’, chances that’s of Caribbean origin are zilch. ‘Lamb’s breath’ boils down to nothing more than some folks having a bad ear for other people’s accents.
Some of these same folks seem determined not to give up on ‘Lamb’s breath’ as an actual thing that exists out there in the real world, outside their bonces. Here’s a task for the ‘Lamb’s breath’ true believers. Glen Brown, Tommy McCook, Sylford Walker, Jacob Miller, King Tubby and other dub reggae artists all recorded a track called ‘Lamb’s bread’. Can you find any vintage dub reggae tracks called ‘Lamb’s breath’?
The photo shows Peter Tosh in a field of what appear to be real Caribbean ganja domesticates. My impression is that hybrids didn’t start to trash Jamaican biodiversity comprehensively until commercial indoor cultivation took the UK by storm around the turn of the Millennium. Tosh died in 87, so it’s very unlikely the plants pictured have been affected by Indica-type plants.
According to Jamaican scientist Machel Emanuel, ‘The island of Jamaica has been impacted by hybridisation over the past 30 – 20 years.’ This fits with my own experience of visiting the region in the early 90s, when Kingston was the only place I encountered modern hybrids (‘chronic’). Elsewhere, in places such as Guyana, all I saw was real traditional ganja. Anecdotally, authentic Caribbean herb was also available in the UK and Canada until c. 2000, after which imports from Jamaica quickly turned to trash.
‘Proving’ authenticity in such a situation – i.e. decades after the event – is of course impossible. But overstating how early or extensively modern hybrids impacted regions of traditional cultivation and biodiversity is the current status quo. Experts too often do this or give flimsy claims undue credence and weight.
Regarding places I know fairly well and firsthand – i.e., Asia – the widespread claim that landraces (ie, traditional domesticates) were all wiped out at source decades ago is typical of Westerners having zero grasp of places such as the Hindu Kush, South or Southeast Asia and instead relying on hearsay and factoids. Few folks writing about landraces understand these regions or cultures in anything like enough depth to support their grand proclamations. Few have even been there, in fact. To those of us who’ve lived or were born in these places, that much is painfully obvious.
Asserting that landraces are long since extinct at source – as a number of experts have done, clearly without actually knowing this to be the case – is pretty irresponsible, even more so when that false claim is part of a corporate dupe of the unsuspecting or clueless.
So much of what’s happening these days in so-called ‘Cannabusiness’ – whether it’s expos, forums, and so on – is about deeply cynical, greedy people corralling stoners, feeding them crap, then milking them for money. ‘Idiot farming’, as it’s known, comes from a place of deep contempt for growers and the plant. It’s all about the silver and gold, in other words. And, as any real Rasta could tell you, all of that runs totally against the real meaning of Lamb’s bread….

(maybe thank angus for this) thought it had a place here as well?
Having spent some time with the family, its all about the positive vibrations, yeah!

acespicoli

Lamb’s Bread Bob Marley’s Favorite Strain?… Not Really.​

Posted on May 1, 2015 by Dane Pieri

hero
Lamb’s Bread is often referred to as Bob Marley’s favorite strain of cannabis.1,2,3 While this is directionally true, he was never talking about a specific strain called Lamb’s Bread.
Marley, and other Jamaican musicians often express reverence to lamb’s bread. Sugar Minott sings “I got the great sensimilla, and the good lambsbread, ya” in “Oh Mr. D.C.” (1979, Studio One). However, if we look closer at how the term was used in Jamaica we see that lamb’s bread is a general term for high quality cannabis. The full exchange from Marley’s oft-cited High Times interview4 makes it clear that he was not talking about a specific strain.
Bob Marley: One time in was in Jamaica, was doin’ a show, an’ a man come up to me, and he gave me a spliff. Now, das de bes’ herb I ever smoke. Yeah, man! Neva get an extra herb like dat again! No, no, no. Just like one tree in de earth, y’know?
High Times: Just one tree?
BM: Jus’ one tree. Sometimes ya just find a tree. It lamb’s bread.
HT:
What’s lamb’s bread?
BM: De ability what de herb ‘ave ya call lamb’s bread. Some a dem ya call Bethlehem’s bread. Dat is when ya really get good herb, y’know what I mean?
Here it seems that Marley called an unknown strain lamb’s bread after finding it to be of high quality. Also note that High Times did not capitalize lamb’s bread.
The root of the term lamb’s bread is as mysterious as how the modern Lamb’s Bread came to America. However it likely has biblical roots with clear references to Jesus and sacramental offerings.5,6
Now, even though Marley’s lamb’s bread was not what we know of as Lamb’s Bread, they are very similar. Lamb’s Bread is a Jamaican heirloom Sativa brought to America many years ago. Most of the cannabis that Marley enjoyed in Jamaica was also local heirloom Sativas. When you enjoy Lamb’s Bread in America, you can be sure that Marley would have proclaimed it lamb’s bread.
BTW. Lamb’s Bread is featured in our May Sativa assortment. Sign Up Here
1 https://www.leafly.com/sativa/lamb-s-bread
2 http://www.medicaljane.com/review/lambsbread-popular-sativa-from-jamaica/
3 http://www.wikileaf.com/strain/lambs-bread/
4 http://www.hightimes.com/read/high-times-interview-bob-marley
5 https://melekmediahouse.wordpress.c...moke-a-short-guide-to-the-lambs-bread-of-jah/
6 Leviticus 23:18

Last edited:

acespicoli

1696472976543.png

Rohan and his son Joshua / Courtesy Lion Order

With Father’s Day upon us we sat down with entrepreneur, former professional athlete, and visionary Rohan Marley—the guy with the dad of all dads—to talk about Bob’s influence on his life. After chopping it up about football, weed, and everything in between, Rohan shared a heartfelt message to his own father and fathers everywhere:

“I want to take this moment to give thanks to my father for giving me this beautiful life. Each and every one of us on earth, we exist because of our fathers … I know many of us here on this planet may never have been able to grow [with] or be around our fathers on a day-to-day basis, I am a perfect example.

“But guess what? I love my father every day, every single day. So to all the [children] out there, love your father, be present with your father because without your father you wouldn’t exist … My father is within me, within all of us, and so we give thanks to all the fathers out there. I am so happy to be a father and I love my children. Rastafari love.”

1696473452088.png

Later Blackwell would say of Bob’s early death, “It’s a continuing sadness,” and certainly that’s true. But what’s proven daily—I remember thinking one day listening to Bob’s Legend collection play over and over in a barefoot bar called Rasta Baby II on a Thai beach—is that Bob Marley’s life and music is also a continuing joy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts