What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Coloration Study

SICE

Hello IC,

Ive been doing my thing on and off. A couple years ago I took an excursion to the Southern states of Mexico and came across various cannabis families. Very sativa leaning genetics with some indica examples here and there.

I came across flowers of various colors including the known verde limon which means limon green due to deep lime color of the flowers. I also came across some examples that were on the orange light green spectrum (the orange was due in part to the long red hairs).

Upon stumbling into various colors I somehow luckily came upon something really special. Flowers that are purple to the point of almost being black. There are no nicknames for this type only known as "morada" or "purple" in english. I tried getting more information about this particular type from the locals and smokers throughout the near b lands and non knew or had even seen plants with such deep coloration. There were a couple people that had seen these purple flowers before but it was a rare event.

Discussions usually ended up with individuals stating that purple flowers are only a product of an alteration in feeding or growing conditions. Some claimed that purple food coloring was given to them like they do with roses and other flowers. The lack of information really surprised me since the flowers collected were virtually unknown in their home turf in a way.

-These are the original nuggets (posted on here before) from this expedition. Verde Limon and the Purple
picture.php

picture.php

It took some months before I was able to grow the seeds that I found in these purple flowers. I managed to find about 20 seeds and germed a few just to see what the deal was with the coloration.

The plants veget normally with a slight smell of menthol and the typical purple smell with hits of berry. The structure has been Sativa leaning on the few plants ive seen with an Indica dominant structure popping up. Overall they posses a very landracie type of growth characteristic (very wispy with fast growth.

- Here it is in its glory. Notice the deep purple coloration on the buds. There is absolutely zero green coloration on the flower clusters. The buds themselves are lacking in density.

picture.php

picture.php

SICE

The plants can be quite difficult in the vegetative state and even more difficult in flowering. They were easy to burn when feeding. In late flower there was a deficiency I could not pin point. If they are fed like "regular" cannabis they will definitely suffer.

-It can be hard to see the true coloration since some flowers are dark green and might seem purplish but these are just on another level in coloration. Here is a typical indica cookie og type of plant next to a purple specimen

picture.php

Im not sure what the true story on this plant is but it seems like someone has been working on selecting and perfecting this purple coloration. Temperature does not matter since they have been grown side by side with other plants that sometimes turn color. Diet has no real effect on whether the purple shows up since they were fed and treated almost the same as regular green colored bud plants.

- Specimen in week 10-11 of flowering.
picture.php

Like mentioned before the buds are very landrace looking. They are not dense but do have a great subtle earth, berry smell that burns really nice and smooth after a cure.

-More in album

picture.php

I popped one of the few remaining beans and a male popped up. The female percentage is quite high. I noticed a hermi tendency in the late late stages of flowering about week 12-13 which seems somewhat normal in these late stages (not dialed in either)

- I was excited to see that the male plants also show deep purple coloration which immediately tells the grower that it does indeed posses the purple color genes. :peacock:

picture.php

I learned a lot from this genetic pool even though ive only seen about 15 individuals and taken even less to completion. I plan to really bring the true potential of the last of these beans.

I feel that more information needs to be given to the purples of various shades but specially to the true, deep, almost black varieties that are often surrounded by myth and the he said she said type of information. The effects of these flowers is very relaxing and might be high in CBD since it really is a chill ride.

Now I really wonder if this could be the purple haze family? There are various opinions on what purple is. Ive discussed with others and some have stated that real purple is bubba kush and the likes but to me they don't seem like purple compared to the varieties that are almost black.

Ive seen the Cherry Gorilla which is in this category of color.
Gran Daddy purple is almost in the full purple category (depending on conditions?)
Black Diesel is in this coloration. There are many more. Can anyone shed some light on these really dark purple strains?
Ive seen some great purples in the Sativa thread!!

Anyone breeding these? Do they show up consistently? I really don't care for varieties that sometimes or change color due to feeding or temperature.

neongreen

Veteran
Lovely colour!

As for purple phenotypes, most strains I've tried (although not all) have purple phenos to some degree of other. Purple genes seem quite widespread in the Cannabis gene pool, so it's no surprise that even in populations where the majority of individuals are green, the occasional purple individual will pop up. This suggests to me that purple genes tend to be recessive.

I'm also interested in purple right now as the Baglung Nepali I've been growing appears to be more resistant to mold/fungal attacks in it's purple form than in its green form.

djonkoman

Veteran
doesn't surprise me much that the purple plants handle stress better, purple coloring due to cold is common in more plants, and anthocyanins(which produce a purple color) are linked to cold tolerance, but also other abiotic stress.

don't think you can say it is recessive that easily though. there are lots of different kinds of purple. some strains will only show it if it gets cold enough(I saw it clearly in my outdoorplants this year, they were mostly green and then a week with cold nights happened, and most of them showed varying degrees of purple). you have plants that are always purple. some only get purple stems, or only purple buds, some even get purple fanleaves. or they only get some purple hues, tops of a few calyxes/top of the branches/streaks on the stem.

seems to me like there are multiple genes each playing a role. maybe some are recessive and others dominant.

rolandomota

Veteran
20170913_201118.jpg I see black brick weed from time time that i suspect is actually purple when growing and thats all i can say really i havea picture of a recent black brick with a relaxing high and familiar smell i have smelled before in other black bricks im interested in growing the seeds i collected from two very similar examples i scored last month. That was a quarter pound for 80$ in that pic

aquavitae

wow rolandomota that looks like a brownie

nice pictures, genetics and genetics/environment it seems makes the purple

best regards

SICE

Rolando thats a great looking brick.

It seems brick weed is not as popular due to legalization. From my research into the general history of cannabis, the great strains of today were found (parents, genetics) in brick weed that traveled from continent to continent.

Even with legalization one can day that some weed genes are being ostracized in away due to their "lower"quality or just not looking good.

The "modern" strains are powerful but do lack the interesting aspects. Check out the trip weed thread... it might be tolerance or nostalgia but ive tried brick looking weed that blew my mind.

browntrout

Veteran
Been working some purples of my own! Those look killer and a bit more indica than typical for those areas! I have noticed in a couple strains where I have bred my purples into that outdoors the purple coloration some how makes it resistant to bud rot/mould. Very peculiar, just this year I grew some Durban/PCK to White russian and the purple pheno out of about 10 other different green phenos had the least bud rot by far!

Latest posts

Latest posts