What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis breakthrough as researchers discover the genes for flavour.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-responsible-different-aromas-identified.html

'Researchers have identified the genes responsible for giving different strains of cannabis distinct flavours.

They scanned the genomes of cannabis plants and identified compounds such as limonene which produces a lemon-like flavor.

The findings will have an impact on the budding legal cannabis industry.'

Something most of us have known for ages, but now more and more I see positive, factual stories in the main stream media in the UK.

The Daily Mail has for many years been anti-cannabis, but always the comments on their articles have been mostly pro-cannabis.

Slowly but surely the general public has educated themselves, and most have found the truth about this plant, and that's a very, very good thing.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Calling cannabis by its proper name is more and more prevalent,
as well as positive stories and articles touting its benefits.

Good thread.

PDX Dopesmoker

Calling cannabis by its proper name…

Mary Warner?

Does the genetics breakthrough mean that pheno hunting will soon be done by sending a cotydeleon sample to the lab? That could cut the time on breeding cycles by months and be a powerful new tool for selecting studs.

Limeygreen

Veteran
There will like be gene editing rather than splicing, you can speed up breeding with the editing without going gmo style. This can be used to focus on certain traits with the sampling mentioned and then breeding classically based on that. Gene editing can be done by mutating the seeds/plants that knock out other genes, sampling said plants to find the genes you were looking for once you have the markers, then using those plants as parents and growing out the progeny and testing for the genes carried forward and inbreeding until you have the traits fixed in the parent to be later used in a hybrid with other parents and find that you have fixed it in a hybrid. Really fascinating breeding technique and gmo free.

angelgoob

Monsanto that shit up. I want to smoke double limonene plants.

If it were up to me, I would splice. I would use known methalythation techniques to induce it. That or scan it and then breed it.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Most terpene %'s in herbal Cannabis are 1-2% varieties with upto 5% have been occasionally found. Use those 5% individuals to make hybrids between them that are 10%.
Faster and easier then GMO Cannabis, just use classical breeding with analysis and selection. 10% terpenes are a reality, but the breeders are holding back the seeds and clones, I do not blame them, it was a bunch of work to create/find 10% terpene in flowers. I am amazed. It will be normal in the future, super high terpenes in most herb.
-SamS

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Here I was getting great tasting smoke the old way without scientists. I planted in rich organic soil. Added some earthworms and used rain water. Then when mature I harvested, dried and cured for 3 months. No matter what flavors are ever created or enhanced. Large producers will nuke them to get more faster. In the end you will still smell and taste fertilizers. Enough Debbie downer. For several people it will be a very enjoyable experience. Peace

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Most terpene %'s in herbal Cannabis are 1-2% varieties with upto 5% have been occasionally found. Use those 5% individuals to make hybrids between them that are 10%.
Faster and easier then GMO Cannabis, just use classical breeding with analysis and selection. 10% terpenes are a reality, but the breeders are holding back the seeds and clones, I do not blame them, it was a bunch of work to create/find 10% terpene in flowers. I am amazed. It will be normal in the future, super high terpenes in most herb.
-SamS
This is Awesome news... meaning even newbie growers overdoing it in the future with 10%+ varietals, will still end up with 3-5% terpene content at harvest time. lol :woohoo: A drastic reduction in "Where's the scent/flavor in my cannabis?" threads. :)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You were not getting over 5% terpenes by weight, much less 10%. I have been doing terpene breeding as long or longer then anyone else, I grow Organic Bio-Dynamic it does help but you need to test your organically grown Cannabis and see what the terpene content is with GC-FID analysis, it is not 10% or even 5%, if you think it is higher post the analysis?
-SamS

Here I was getting great tasting smoke the old way without scientists. I planted in rich organic soil. Added some earthworms and used rain water. Then when mature I harvested, dried and cured for 3 months. No matter what flavors are ever created or enhanced. Large producers will nuke them to get more faster. In the end you will still smell and taste fertilizers. Enough Debbie downer. For several people it will be a very enjoyable experience. Peace

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
-SamS

Heh ^ Always love your posts.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
You were not getting over 5% terpenes by weight, much less 10%. I have been doing terpene breeding as long or longer then anyone else, I grow Organic Bio-Dynamic it does help but you need to test your organically grown Cannabis and see what the terpene content is with GC-FID analysis, it is not 10% or even 5%, if you think it is higher post the analysis?
-SamS

Sam, that guy said nothing about numbers. He was just saying he has really tasty herb and thinks its his growing style, not the genetics.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
True he did not mention numbers, but implied that all you need is to do is grow correctly, dry and cure correctly and you will have great Cannabis. I say that if he did that with a hemp variety it would not help, the same with recreational Cannabis, the higher the potential terpene levels can be the better the Cannabis will be in general. I am an Organic Bio-Dynamic grower I agree with that part, but you can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, no matter how well grown, dried, cured.
All of the winners at recent cups have also been higher in terpene %'s there is a reason. As for large producers they can be great or trash, there is no reason a large producer can't grow herb as well as a boutique grower, if the large producers make no compromises on quality, I can assure you that can be done. And yes if the large producer is growing "organically" great new varieties with higher Cannabinoid and terpene levels most folks will prefer it.
BTW where do you think the smell and taste of the nuked more faster is in Cannabis grown that way? In the flowers, leaves, resin? I do not really smoke whole Cannabis, I only smoke resin, that was Organically and Bio-Dynamically grown, in the earth, as well as dried then cured for 3 months. I am not so sure that resin has a taste, smell, from the ferts used, not like herbal Cannabis anyway.
Yes the resin will taste better and be more if grown Organically but that is more from the increased terpene %'s then anything else, varieties that are 10% terpenes instead of 2-3% will be preferred and they can also be grown organically, dried correctly, cured correctly. Why not have the best of both worlds, in one plant?
-SamS

Sam, that guy said nothing about numbers. He was just saying he has really tasty herb and thinks its his growing style, not the genetics.

farmerlion:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I fully agree. And 99% of the time, just smoke resin too.

I think firstly whats needed, is great genetics(high terpene and high thc strains that one prefers), and then second, great growing conditions.

Gotta start with gold to get gold in the end.

Limeygreen

Veteran
For dry sieve or even water hash, does the cure really matter if you cure the resin after you sieve it? I cannot see how you would lose any terpenes by sieving and then curing versus curing then sieving, would it be that you are more likely to rupture glands when you sieve before cured?

Latest posts

Latest posts