What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

That's not organic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Been growing hydroponically on same plot of cement without soil for sometime now. Zero negative affect on the concrete, plants, or the soil around me.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been growing hydroponically on same plot of cement without soil for sometime now. Zero negative affect on the concrete, plants, or the soil around me.
of course
im not trying to shit on you or any people for growing hydroponically or with synthetic fertilizer, as long as you produce quality meds free of residuals from pesticide / fungicide / fertilizers.... im happy for everyone who can diy by any means necessary!
what i am trying to point out is that there are fundamental differences between the 2

for closed systems hydro makes perfect sense - altho i am curious if you dump nutrient solution down your drain and if so how much/how often?
im not really asking you, MG, for answers to those questions
im just hoping that you and other growers take that into consideration as impact of your methodology

EDIT
it blows my mind how many threads in the organic section are quickly side-tracked by hydro growers swooping in to "defend" their methods

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
And, for a deeper complication to ponder over a big fatty--

Not all synthetic fertilizers are classified as "salts", whereas many organic/OMRI inputs are.

Hmmmm.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
AM,
Drain my nute rez bout every 4 weeks. That gets diluted with 50% well water and fed to my roses and other shit I got going on in the yard.
My waste ro water feeds my swamp cooler. Any more questions?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Do you use soluble nutrients or attempt a microbial nutrient cycling system? There is ongoing research on this. My research on it 15 years back fell flat but I think I know what I did wrong.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
AM,
Drain my nute rez bout every 4 weeks. That gets diluted with 50% well water and fed to my roses and other shit I got going on in the yard.
My waste ro water feeds my swamp cooler. Any more questions?
ya, actually, i got another question,
why can't more growers have sense like you?
organic AND synthetic growers alike are guilty of wasteful practices that negatively affect product quality and the environment around them
:comfort:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you use soluble nutrients or attempt a microbial nutrient cycling system? There is ongoing research on this. My research on it 15 years back fell flat but I think I know what I did wrong.

MM - you are basically asking if he is running a "dead rez" or not, right?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As I said; Who decides what is organic?

This is mostly what is being discussed here so far. Is it OMRI who tells me this is organic? If so, by what authority? How much cash changes hands?

Is it the USDA and some local certifying 'social club' that says a crop is organic? If so are they better friends with Joe or Harry up the road. Who will they be totally strict with? Okay, I'll let it slide this one time.

Or is true organics, natural growing/farming based on sound research combined with conscientious humanity and integrity?

~ Living soil

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
MG, ever grown in organic soil before? thinking of trying it out?
Funny you should ask. Tried it with tomatoes once. Here's how it went. Drove to the local dairy farm for some cow shit. Don't speak Spanish so was unable to communicate my wants to the immigrant workers. They pointed me to the house. Approached said house encaged in chainlink with mean dogs. Waited outside for a while. Nobody came out. Went back on a weekend, started at the house. Teenager comes out. I told him I would like some cow shit. He said it would be $20 bucks for the gas. That's a lot for fuel I thought. Followed him out to the huge piles of shit. He fired up a huge front end loader, (there's where the fuel went, lol) scooped up a half scoop of shit and dumped it in the back of my little Toyota Tacoma! Bout brought her to her knees, lol. Anywho, drive it the 10 or so miles home and shovel it out of the pickup next to my shiny new compost bin. Filled up the bin with shit and some perlite and rotated that fucking thing everyday for several weeks. Took its internal temp everyday, added water as needed. A month later I had 25 gallons of "organic" shit which required who knows how much petro to produce. I also bought 40 bags of FFOF for an outdoor crop of weed for the kids. That was delivered to me in bags! Kids killed those plants. Nah, I'm just gonna go with my tub of maxibloom every three years.
:biggrin:

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
BUT do ya think them cows were fed organic hay and grain! Lord only knows the antibiotics in there. I laugh at the entire "organic" paradigm!
:laughing:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BUT do ya think them cows were fed organic hay and grain! Lord only knows the antibiotics in there. I laugh at the entire "organic" paradigm!
:laughing:

so it begs to be asked
what are you doing in a thread in the organic soil section of the forums when all you have is contempt & scorn for organics?
your point is made MG, not sure it was ever on topic or relevant in this thread or even this entire section of the forums

EDIT:
it blows my mind how many threads in the organic section are quickly side-tracked by hydro growers swooping in to "defend" their methods
had to quote myself because of relevance

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
so it begs to be asked
what are you doing in a thread in the organic soil section of the forums when all you have is contempt & scorn for organics?
your point is made MG, not sure it was ever on topic or relevant in this thread or even this entire section of the forums

EDIT:

had to quote myself because of relevance
Whoa, settle down cowboy, it just ain't for me. I still love ❤️ all you shit spreaders! Just not my thing. Painting with large brushes it seems to me.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Listening to a podcast I hear some commercial grower bragging his plants were grown "mostly organic". If meat is less than 20% of my diet I am not "mostly vegetarian" I am a meat eater.

Everyone seems to forget that describing your grow as "mostly" organic if your garden is mostly organic is fine..It IS a thing...I've known many who have done it as I have myself...It's not like a system..
I realize that organic heads think this is the silliest thing ever but if it applies..it applies...
Now if that person was trying to get "cred" or defend his grow then he is a fool..But there is nothing wrong w using it as a description
Or should they use the term biologic? That's what euros call it right?

growingcrazy

Whoa, settle down cowboy, it just ain't for me. I still love ❤️ all you shit spreaders! Just not my thing. Painting with large brushes it seems to me.

Not trying to be rude MG but it sounds like your attempts at organics would be a similar comparison to dumping some maxibloom in water and then not getting perfect results...

It takes time and dedication that just a compost pile and some amendments cant make function for each individuals needs. Just like dialing a strain, you need to dial your mix just to grow plants well, let alone growing them perfectly.

Organics is a passion, its more than growing weed for money, for some.

Stop by the farm sometime, Ill make you some bacon from a hog fed organic pasture, grain, vegetables and some eggs from the organically fed laying hens...

:tiphat:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
your soil composition as well as microbiology effect secondary metabolite expression and maxing nutrient potential does not maximize all secondary metabolite expression, it does as I described in many threads and through many "discussions"

science has observed it as well

tl:dr what is in your soil, including the living components effect production of terpenes, flavanoids and other pythochemicals

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
hey look what do you know science is actualizing what has been said on the boards for some years now about microbes

I have to say microbe man has been one of those diamonds in the rough always willing to share the limits of his knowledge which helped us apply it in our gardens

Original Article

Subject Category: Microbial population and community ecology

The ISME Journal (2014) 8, 790–803; doi:10.1038/ismej.2013.196; published online 7 November 2013
Rhizosphere microbiome assemblage is affected by plant development

Jacqueline M Chaparro1, Dayakar V Badri1 and Jorge M Vivanco1

1Center for Rhizosphere Biology, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA

Correspondence: JM Vivanco, Center for Rhizosphere Biology, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA. E-mail: j.vivanco@colostate.edu

Received 6 March 2013; Revised 22 August 2013; Accepted 29 September 2013
Advance online publication 7 November 2013
Top of page
Abstract

There is a concerted understanding of the ability of root exudates to influence the structure of rhizosphere microbial communities. However, our knowledge of the connection between plant development, root exudation and microbiome assemblage is limited. Here, we analyzed the structure of the rhizospheric bacterial community associated with Arabidopsis at four time points corresponding to distinct stages of plant development: seedling, vegetative, bolting and flowering. Overall, there were no significant differences in bacterial community structure, but we observed that the microbial community at the seedling stage was distinct from the other developmental time points. At a closer level, phylum such as Acidobacteria, Actinobacteria, Bacteroidetes, Cyanobacteria and specific genera within those phyla followed distinct patterns associated with plant development and root exudation. These results suggested that the plant can select a subset of microbes at different stages of development, presumably for specific functions. Accordingly, metatranscriptomics analysis of the rhizosphere microbiome revealed that 81 unique transcripts were significantly (P<0.05) expressed at different stages of plant development. For instance, genes involved in streptomycin synthesis were significantly induced at bolting and flowering stages, presumably for disease suppression. We surmise that plants secrete blends of compounds and specific phytochemicals in the root exudates that are differentially produced at distinct stages of development to help orchestrate rhizosphere microbiome assemblage.

Status
Not open for further replies.