What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is the scoop with sm-90?

DrLongbottom

Veteran
Sm-90 has been in my arsenal for years....excellent stuff and can be used for a range of issues. There is another product called S.M.C. which is exactly the same thing as sm-90 but has a nicer smell (fruitier). Both products also work very well mixed with neem for an extra punch. DLB

Brastaman

DrLongbottom said:
Sm-90 has been in my arsenal for years....excellent stuff and can be used for a range of issues. There is another product called S.M.C. which is exactly the same thing as sm-90 but has a nicer smell (fruitier). Both products also work very well mixed with neem for an extra punch. DLB

good call. i mix mine with neem when i need the extra kick in the butt type of effect.

B

badugi

I`ve used GH 3 part with silicablast and SM-90 as the only 2 additives I`ve used for almost a decade.........Silicablast for stem strength and SM-90 fo root rot and total bug control with excellent results to date........

Got turned onto it during my krusty bucket yrs. to kill root rot but got the bonus of it`s being systemic and not allowing any bugs to colonize in the rootzone .........

Forty brings out the reason for mosquito dunk useage if you aren`t vigilant with SM-90..........

Tell us more about Bio-Cat 00420 so I won`t feel like I`m taking away from my grows by using SM-90 for so long..........

Take care...........DHF............ :joint: ..........

Did you use SM-90 throughout from start to finish (or at least until flush)?

B

badugi

What's the final conclusion on SM-90 for fungus gnats... works or not?

D

dongle69

What's the final conclusion on SM-90 for fungus gnats... works or not?

It sorta worked for me when I was hand watering coco. I still had some fliers and stragglers hanging around.
I have since switched to hydro coco and I keep 1/2 of a mosquito dunk in each of my reservoirs and the gnats are now completely eliminated.

Does anyone know if it works on powdery fungus? Im a couple weeks away from harvest and I'm wondering if I should even use this on my nearly mature flowers.

No, you do not want to spray them with sm-90. If it were me I would spray with potassium bicarbonate (used for wine making). 1 Tbsp. per gallon of water. You can pretty much spray that until the day before you chop without any problems. You can get it really cheap online too.

toastfighter2

I use SM-90 in my res, and it keeps it from smelly like ass(which is a bonus), and I have little to no gnats flying around. I picked it up because I was having problems with my res temps, and was getting root rot. At this point, unless I switch over to organic(which I can't see happening ever), I haven't seen it do any harm to my plants growth, so even if it does kill the bennys, it is staying a part of my grow, even if I have to smuggled it in if it is ever banned where I am at.

been

Does anyone know if it works on powdery fungus? Im a couple weeks away from harvest and I'm wondering if I should even use this on my nearly mature flowers.

No, you do not want to spray them with sm-90. If it were me I would spray with potassium bicarbonate (used for wine making). 1 Tbsp. per gallon of water. You can pretty much spray that until the day before you chop without any problems. You can get it really cheap online too.
High pH is supposed to be the cure for PM. SM-90 has a high pH and my PH+ is potassium bicarbonate. SM-90 doesn't do much for fungus gnats around here. As a wetting agent it seems good for use with neem, and maybe it somehow makes water more available to roots if that's possible.

so is sm-90 safe to use with products such as floralicious plus, and florablend?? how would you introduce it, would you add the sm90 first??

D

dongle69

My current "cocktail" is SM-90 and Azamax, mixed as foliar spray to keep away all things nasty - especially spider mites and PM.
I use 10 ml/gal SM-90 and 15 ml/gal Azamax.
I have found it is not necessary to use the directed amounts of SM-90 with this combo (1 part SM-90, 5 parts water).
I have talked with Kelly, the owner of Nutrilife, several more times over the past few months and I wish I would have recorded it.
I got lots of little info nuggets.
I wish I could remember them all...
what about spider mites? is mm2000 the same as sm 90?
SM-90 was originally designed for "S"pider "M"ites on roses, in 19"90", hence the name.
mm200 is different stuff.
When used as a foliar spray it will keep PM away.
I have never used it after the fact.
High pH is supposed to be the cure for PM. SM-90 has a high pH and my PH+ is potassium bicarbonate. SM-90 doesn't do much for fungus gnats around here. As a wetting agent it seems good for use with neem, and maybe it somehow makes water more available to roots if that's possible.
The oils in SM-90 are helpful against PM.
I found that double the dose in the reservoir works for gnats/larvae.
SM-90 acts as a lubricant and you could see a 20-25% increase in water and nutrient uptake when used in the reservoir.
It is also a great preventative for pythium.
so is sm-90 safe to use with products such as floralicious plus, and florablend?? how would you introduce it, would you add the sm90 first??
Yes and yes.
The order doesn't matter but some like to first use products that raise the ph, which SM-90 does.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Do you remember anything else the owner kelly said about how SM-90 selectively kills only non-beneficial microbes. I have bottles of the product and use it often, but I have to admit I am skeptical about how the chemical ingredient selectively kills. Phone call do not prove anything to me even if it is the owner. They did testing on their own microbe products. Do they have any lab reports, etc., to back this claim up. My honest opinion. I would like to use both microbes and SM-90 together, but I am holding fast from that approach for now.

D

dongle69

I haven't spoken any more to Kelly about it, but my own tests have revealed that the bennies survive just fine.
I have been using bennies and SM-90 in my Waterfarm setup with my mother plants.
I did periodic tests by checking with a microscope.
Even if you don't have a microscope, try the combo.
If you are familiar with what the bennies do in your system, it will be easy to see what effect SM-90 has for you.

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
what about with a product like gnatrol which contains bacillus thuringiensis bacteria?

My guess would be if it is aerobic it would live when in the presence of SM-90.

I was thinking about SM-90 some more. I was thinking that the product more likely kills the harmful microbes and does not entirely kill off the entire beneficial microbe colony. It probably suppresses them, but my point is that they are still alive. Just not flourishing as they would without the SM-90.

Latest posts

Latest posts