What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry calmag?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've switched to dry nutes awhile back including dry pH up/down. All General Hydroponics.

What about a dry CalMag formula? Do you guys use any? I've read "Peters Calmag" on Orchid forums is good. Does anyone have experience with it?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well, i guess ill be the first to say it....liquid cal/mg is just powdered cal/mg in water and diluted....

so i would say yes get the powdered form of cal/mg, you will save money and it will last longer....

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Liquid Cal mags are not just powdered cal/mg. Here are two examples.

================
Botanicare Cal Mag Plus (2-0-0) Mg1.2% Ca3.2% Fe.1%
1.0208 g/mL
@10mL/Gal
N
P 0
K 0
Mg 32
Ca 86
Fe 2.7
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron EDTA.

Technaflora MagiCal (2-0-0) Mg1.25% Ca3.25% Fe.11%
142g/125mL = 1.136g/mL
@10mL/Gal
N
P 0
K 0
Mg 38
Ca 98
Fe 3.3
Cl NOT LISTED
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron DTPA, Iron EDTA.
=============================

FWIW a dry form of Mg is epsom salt, its is normally MgSO4·7H2O. Note the Sulfur too.

-

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
Liquid Cal mags are not just powdered cal/mg. Here are two examples.

================
Botanicare Cal Mag Plus (2-0-0) Mg1.2% Ca3.2% Fe.1%
1.0208 g/mL
@10mL/Gal
N
P 0
K 0
Mg 32
Ca 86
Fe 2.7
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron EDTA.

Technaflora MagiCal (2-0-0) Mg1.25% Ca3.25% Fe.11%
142g/125mL = 1.136g/mL
@10mL/Gal
N
P 0
K 0
Mg 38
Ca 98
Fe 3.3
Cl NOT LISTED
Derived from: Calcium Nitrate, Calcium Chloride, Magnesium Nitrate, Iron DTPA, Iron EDTA.
=============================

FWIW a dry form of Mg is epsom salt, its is normally MgSO4·7H2O. Note the Sulfur too.

-

well the dry cal/mg ive seen at the store is exactly like the liquid....i forget which company it is by....

if i remember corectly other than cal/mg and N, it also has iron, and sulfur, but its been a while....

i was under the assumption that epsom salts were a good form of mag, not cal??

but im sur you know as you are the DR in the house...but the cal/mg im talking about was very similar to the liquids, when comparing labels the only diff was the concentration(it was 12-0-0....but i forget the rest...)

maryanne3087

He said Epsom salts were a Mg which is Magnesium.

You basically tried to correct an already correct statement.

Cheers!

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
Im closer to CartoonHead than a Dr.

Epsom salt has no Ca, the formula is MgSO4·7H2O. I just wanted to point out that most liquid cal mags have N and Fe too.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
actually i wasnt correcting, i was asking...

and i was just reffering that the dry cal/mg i seen was pretty much the same as liquid ones..

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
epsom salts for magnesium I beleive,
http://www.ehow.com/how_2364086_fertilize-garden-epsom-salts.html
Garden folklore says using Epsom Salt makes roses bushier, pepper plants larger and lawns greener. This inexpensive household product is magnesium sulfate which may increase chlorophyll production and help plants use phosphorus and nitrogen better. Critics say it does not work. Decide for yourself. Here are easy ways to use Epsom Salt on your garden

i have personally used this to correct magnesium defeciency

Now I use it for maintenance it works great​

maryanne3087

actually i wasnt correcting, i was asking...

and i was just reffering that the dry cal/mg i seen was pretty much the same as liquid ones..

I assumed you just didn't know what Mg was since he posted up the chemical formula which doesn't contain Ca. He further pointed out it provides Mg and S.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I can use epsom salt or whip up my own calmag (like Dr stated, it usually contains trace minerals like iron), but what about commercial solutions?

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I dont understand your question.

I believe Cal nitrate is available in powdered form, and added with epsom salt will both fill both your Ca and Mg needs.

However, ive never seen sulfate listed in a liquid cal mag, and you are still missing a dry form of Fe. This route is not similar to liquid cal mags. You rarely see Ca and S in the same bottle (at significant levels). Ca and S are almost always in separate bottles with two part nutrients.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hi, people!

28 bucks for a 50lb bag of calcium nitrate and 6 bucks for a 5lb bag of epsom salts and you have a lifetime supply of dry calmag.

i used this with ro water and flora nova bloom in coco at the rate of 100 ppm calcium nitrate and 50 ppm magnesium sulfate.

totally solves all calmag deficiency problems.

if you do use this combo mix the primary nutrient first, epsom second and the calcinit last.

d9

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
cal nitrate and epsom salts(magnesium sulphate) are cheaper than any store bought brand

as well using Dolimite Lime will:
neutralize soil acidity
supplies Calcium & Magnesium
increases the fixation of nitrogen by soil and plant organizms
reduces activity of toxic substances in soil
and more

4grams per litre of soil is enough dolimite lime to release cal/mg