What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to get big plants in small pots?

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
One thing I've noticed in some people's logs which I have not experienced personally is having huge plants in tiny pots. I've seen it in soil, coco and hydro grows. How?

In my experience and what I expect is that the plant will stop growing (or do so very slowly) when the roots hit the bottom of a pot and begin circling. The plant resumes growth again as soon as it is transplanted.

Watering daily in coco helps grow bigger plants in small pots, and plants in hydro mediums generally grow big because there's more volume available for roots. But I've never had a plant exceed maybe 6-8" in a 16oz beer cup, in any medium.

The plant will sky rocket to 6-8" and then stagnate. Upon transplanting it will explode with growth again.

Do you guys prune roots perhaps?

S

Stray

air-pots maybe..much healthier root and growth ive noticed with more air for the piglets to breathe:)

I

Iron_Lion

some of the biggest plants I have seen in the smallest pots were in coco. I remember one guy's pics of some 2' tall hindu kush bud sticks in plastic beer cups.

C

CANNATOPIA

I have got fairly big buds in fairly small pots, I transplant twice once into a pot for veg then into a larger pot just before flower. I have the results but not sure on why it works for me lol. but hey it works. Granted I havent used any beer cups though to flower anything out. lol
My Kandy Kush was pretty big & probably the biggest I've grown yet.
picture.php

picture.php

toastfighter2

I have been working out a style that I call "double cupping". I have a couple starter pots(about half as deep as a 17oz cup) that I get the plants going in, then I put them into a deeper 17oz cup and it kind of seals against the sides. I leave about a half inch of water in the bottom cup so it stays humid in there, and the plants just start shooting out air roots though all the holes in the bottom. I kept a plant in the starter cup that way till it was almost 3ft tall.

T

The Strain Man

not a good idea if pot is too small you can get root rot and other problems

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Did you check out the beercup thread?

I bottom feed so the amount of food available to the plant is greater than the size of the pot. My roots stay in the middle of the cup since roots don't like to sit in water. They are water pruned I guess.

Beercups + Coco + automated waterings + a bit of training=

johnny blaze from seed out of 4 cups:

double strawberry diesel clones:

Panoramical

Did you check out the beercup thread?

I bottom feed so the amount of food available to the plant is greater than the size of the pot. My roots stay in the middle of the cup since roots don't like to sit in water. They are water pruned I guess.

Beercups + Coco + automated waterings + a bit of training=

johnny blaze from seed out of 4 cups:

double strawberry diesel clones:

My novice eye makes me think :noway:

You got it dialled!!!

EDIT: have you got a link to the beercup thread?

Last edited:

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Thanks guys. I use the cups to increase my numbers. My curiosity wont let me grow a couple plants no matter how small my space is. My new fav is growing sativas cause you can beat the shit out of them and still end up with tons of bud. I do have to say that a plant can die in a day growing 'em this way because they rely on the steady source of water.

dustin27 - Yeah that's it. There's some impressive stuff in there.

sprinkl

Veteran
I would also think nutrients. Bigger pots have more soil so more nutrients and hold more water with nutrients if you feed. So 3dDream his way of bottomfeeding sounds like a logical option to get more nutrients available.

sprinkl

Veteran
Lmao. I was looking for that big plants outdoor thread, didnt look at the date it seems :)
Would this work with liquid organic feed? Probably not as well but this stuff is intriguing though. Soil costs money and takes up so much damn space..

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I've seem monster plants in both soil and coco, but
for convenience coco is very good in 2 gal. containers.

Difficult to compare nutes in soil and coco, they each
have their application methods. You can multi feed
with coco to blow plants up.