What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mite or regular spider web?

Beluga

Hi,

Growing indoors in fabric pots using an organic soil mix, top dressed with homemade vermicompost. Fed with compost tea, fermented plant juice from time to time, but mostly water only.

I am 5 weeks into flower, one strain is banana og - i expect another 3-4 weeks. The other strain is a nepali hashplant that i expect will be at least another 8 weeks.

Today I noticed some web between two plants. It was a long strand of web from one plant to the neighboring plant, about 5-6 inches long, with some other webs coming off that.

Now, I do have spiders in the grow room (one likes to hang out right on ttop of the soil on one of my plants) and notice them from time to time. I even have some live worms that got into the vermicompost that are still living in the soil in the pots. So there is lots of life in the soil, and in the grow room.

Never had a problem with mites before, but its getting hot here and also a bit humid, seems like good conditions for them. So I am wondering if I should be worried? I don't see any damage at all on the leaves, other then the web I found today, they look perfectly healthy.

I see some descriptions of spider mite web more as fuzzy under the leaf, this was definitely more like a normal spider web, but I want to make sure. I look under the leaves and stared at them for awhile but didn't notice anything.

Not sure how closely I should be checking for them, if the web sounds like it could be mites, but I also dont know what to do if I have them....lots of options in veg, in fact I foliar spray some neem oil in veg, but I don't want to spray anything now during flower.

Any tips appreciated, thanks!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Switch to clarified neem oil in veg. Even if you don't have any issues you notice with it, others will have issues with the azadirachtin in the neem oil. Even using it only in veg.

Look at the leaves, do you see spots on them? Look under the leaves, do you see tiny little eggs along the veins of the leaf? Small moving dots? Russet/Hemp mites are too small for the naked eye, until you have thousands of them in a small area. You would most likely see curled leaves near the stem.

An ounce of everclear in a gallon of water, will wash away webs eggs and mites. Roots hate it as much as the mites, so keep it out of your soil/root-zone. Should work in flower as well, though I'm loath to spray anything on my girls. :(

Beluga

Switch to clarified neem oil in veg. Even if you don't have any issues you notice with it, others will have issues with the azadirachtin in the neem oil. Even using it only in veg.

Look at the leaves, do you see spots on them? Look under the leaves, do you see tiny little eggs along the veins of the leaf? Small moving dots? Russet/Hemp mites are too small for the naked eye, until you have thousands of them in a small area. You would most likely see curled leaves near the stem.

An ounce of everclear in a gallon of water, will wash away webs eggs and mites. Roots hate it as much as the mites, so keep it out of your soil/root-zone. Should work in flower as well, though I'm loath to spray anything on my girls. :(

Thanks for the tips. Will go inspect for spots, etc. I definitely didn't see any spots on the leaves, but didn't look close enough on the underside near the veins.

I do like the idea of everclear since the alcohol will evaporate, but I'm with you - I hate spraying in flower. This one seems the safest I have heard so far - so I'll try that if I notice any eggs or moving dots.