What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Promix considered "soil" and gives a smooth smoke like soil?

King Bloom

I see repeatedly soil grows described as giving the smoothest smoke. Is Promix soil-like enough to give this benefit, or are people always talking about real soil grown Cannabis and promix grown is more like hydro?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
In my experience, the smoothest smoke comes from the highest quality grow methods. ;) As far as I'm aware, Pro-Mix is a peat based soilless mix, which can be used many ways.

troutman

Seed Whore
I use various Pro Mix types and like them. :)

I purchased these 4 Pro-Mix types for my next grow and they will be mixed together. :tiphat:

1. Premium Organic Moisture Potting Mix
2. Premium Potting Mix
3. Organic Premium Vegetable and Herb Soil Mix
4. Premium Garden Soil Mix

I also use their Organic Based Garden Fertilizer For Tomatoes, Vegetables & Fruits 3-6-12.

The amount of nutrients you use is more determining factor of a smooth smoke that anything else.

The sooner you stop fertilizing the cleaner your smoke will be.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Pro-mix is peat/organic matter/compost/perlite. The difference being that peat has been in a carbon sink for a million years and soil is eroded stone, clay, sand, loam, silt, organic matter, what have you. Peat can retain water water up to something like 15x it's weight (I forget the exact number, could be 100.) (A sandy) Soil is considered saturated at 40% water/60% solid fraction.

Both retain water and nutrition and both can be amended and re-mineralized- but each carries distinct uses of that nutrition or can be subject to differing values of erosion/leaching/volatilization/de-nitrification. Right off the bat you may find the peat easier to work with but over time needs more attention to return to its original usefulness. Your own amended soil may be more constant/consistent work but you may achieve your targets more consistently and constantly.

people always talking about real soil grown Cannabis and promix grown is more like hydro?

organic/mineral/hydro- these just tell us where the nutrition comes from. You can use hydro-bottled nutrients on soil if you so choose. You can use straight salts on coco. You can do any combo of salt/chemical/meal/compost on any medium as long as it becomes available to the plant.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I use various Pro Mix types and like them. :)

I purchased these 4 Pro-Mix types for my next grow and they will be mixed together. :tiphat:

1. Premium Organic Moisture Potting Mix
2. Premium Potting Mix
3. Organic Premium Vegetable and Herb Soil Mix
4. Premium Garden Soil Mix

I also use their Organic Based Garden Fertilizer For Tomatoes, Vegetables & Fruits 3-6-12.

The amount of nutrients you use is more determining factor of a smooth smoke that anything else.

The sooner you stop fertilizing the cleaner your smoke will be.
The liquid organics expensive but produces stellar results for me. Gave me 1lb autoflowers this year.

I use the premium seed starter mix. Bullet proof.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I have been using Pro-Mix since 1978. I currently use the Pro_mix BX with Mycorrhizae. This coupled with Maxi-Bloom and Cha Ching at the end of flowering give excellent results.

DTOM420

I’m trying to learn here but my understanding is that Pro-Mix is a “soulless” media but that it can become soil if it’s amended to contain all the components of “soil.”

This definition of “soil” is from the Soil Science Society of America.

soil - (i) The unconsolidated mineral or organic material on the immediate surface of the Earth that serves as a natural medium for the growth of land plants. (ii) The unconsolidated mineral or organic matter on the surface of the Earth that has been subjected to and shows effects of genetic and environmental factors of: climate (including water and temperature effects), and macro- and microorganisms, conditioned by relief, acting on parent material over a period of time. A product-soil differs from the material from which it is derived in many physical, chemical, biological, and morphological properties and characteristics.

Since the difference between “dirt” and “soil” is that soil contains active microbial life and is, therefore, “alive” it stands to reason that it can certainly be a component of an organic soil mixture. If you just add perlite and feed your plants liquid nutrients, without trying to establish microbial life, then it’s a soil-less medium. Seems like the short answer is...it can be soil if you want it to be.

Does this sound right?

A

acridlab

I add worm castings to my promix hp,, and that technically turns soiless into soil..

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In my experience, the smoothest smoke comes from the highest quality grow methods. ;) As far as I'm aware, Pro-Mix is a peat based soilless mix, which can be used many ways.

As Douglas says bio biz all mix and canna pro mix are both soilless medium ,,,,s2