What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf tissue damages

mike_1956

Hi!

First post here, so greetings all!
I’m a having some leaf tissue damages on one of my plants. Damages on the outer ”dark green layer” of the leaf, see picture.
Does anybody recognize what might be causing this?

I have a Mars Hydro 48 LED light about 70 cm above the tops. Both Grow, and Bloom lights are on. The plant were re-potted about four weeks ago, and I have not given it any nutrition yet. It is still living on the nutrition in the soil. Damages has recently appeared, and appears on new growth on the plant. Plant is about ten weeks old.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 002_EDITED.jpg
    002_EDITED.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 20

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi!

First post here, so greetings all!
I’m a having some leaf tissue damages on one of my plants. Damages on the outer ”dark green layer” of the leaf, see picture.
Does anybody recognize what might be causing this?

I have a Mars Hydro 48 LED light about 70 cm above the tops. Both Grow, and Bloom lights are on. The plant were re-potted about four weeks ago, and I have not given it any nutrition yet. It is still living on the nutrition in the soil. Damages has recently appeared, and appears on new growth on the plant. Plant is about ten weeks old.

Thanks!
Without more information, there are 4 possibilities.

1. Heat damage to the top of the plant, which would explain the partial chlorosis of the leaf.

2. A non-mobile nutrient deficiency/lockout (sulfur, iron, etc.), affecting new growth. This could be from a high pH.

3. The plant also has some very dark leaves, which means it could need more magnesium.

4. Are there any bugs crawling around on the underside of the leaf? Insect damage could be a fourth possibility.

T

Teddybrae

Not a hydro grower but looks to me like Mg deficiency. But like Mr Magic says above important to check yr pH. do this first before adjusting nutrients.

mike_1956

Hi!

Thank you for your replies!

1. Chlorosis, ok thanks. Yes, it is the problem with partial chlorosis I am asking about.
Perhaps not heat per se, but could it be light burns from too intense light? Although this is not just happening at the top of the plant, but also on new growth on lower branches, and just effects new growth, no other leaves are effected.
The temperature of the grow room is around 20° Celsius, and the LED light is a bit above the manufacture’s recommendations.
I am a first time LED-grower, and this Mars Hydro 48 should replace a 150w HPS, but I find the light very intense. The first time I saw the damages I thought of heat/light burns. But, as mentioned, grow room is not too hot, and light is above recommendations. I don’t know what to think about it.

2. pH souk has a stable pH on 6-9, or just about. My water is 7, and the soil (BioBizz All-Mix) is 6.9. I measure after feed, and so far it has been stable between 6.9-7.

3. More magnesium; yes probably. Although I gave it epsom salt last time I fed, new growth is still somewhat pale green in the morning (and darkens during the day). I will give it some more epsom salt next time I feed.
I did not know that dark leaves were a sign of magnesium deficiency. Thanks for the info!

4. No bugs. I have checked thoroughly.

Thanks again!
mike

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Variegation- happens from time to time. Nothing to worry about. Looks funky but that's about all. Sometimes it's inherited, sometimes it's phenological. Just some mutant leaves hanging out on this plant.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Variegation- happens from time to time. Nothing to worry about. Looks funky but that's about all. Sometimes it's inherited, sometimes it's phenological. Just some mutant leaves hanging out on this plant.

From the pic, this is my vote too

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
10 wks old and you haven't fed it?

Are you becoming short on Ca?
That would be my guess due to the verigation.

What is your medium (I'm guessing soil) and what did you add to it previous to planting your ladies?

mike_1956

10 wks old and you haven't fed it?

Are you becoming short on Ca?
That would be my guess due to the verigation.

What is your medium (I'm guessing soil) and what did you add to it previous to planting your ladies?

Thank you for your reply! I did fed it before it was re-potted but not much. Something like 1/4 strength Lucas Formula. The plants, I have five, have been looking good so far, and this one is the only one yet that has developed this damage. For the last four weeks it has been feeding on the nutrients in the new soil. But I have had some additives in my water all along the ten weeks. Calcium, silica, kelp, humic acid and amino acid. Epsom salt as well. You mention that lack of Calcium would be a possible cause for the variegation? I do have very soft water. I am using Greenhouse Feeding's Calcium. I am following their recommendations, but my water is softer then the values in the feeding schedule. They say to use 0.8-1g per liter water for hardness values below 70 ppm. My water company release water quality reports a few times a year. According to the latest one I have 20-24 mg Ca/l or 2.7-3.3 °dH (German degrees). This converts to 48.1-58.7 ppm CaCO3. For now I am using 1g per liter water. Yes, it is soil. BioBizz All-Mix mixed with some perlite. Thanks!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi!

Thank you for your replies!

1. Chlorosis, ok thanks. Yes, it is the problem with partial chlorosis I am asking about.
Perhaps not heat per se, but could it be light burns from too intense light? Although this is not just happening at the top of the plant, but also on new growth on lower branches, and just effects new growth, no other leaves are effected.
The temperature of the grow room is around 20° Celsius, and the LED light is a bit above the manufacture’s recommendations.
I am a first time LED-grower, and this Mars Hydro 48 should replace a 150w HPS, but I find the light very intense. The first time I saw the damages I thought of heat/light burns. But, as mentioned, grow room is not too hot, and light is above recommendations. I don’t know what to think about it.

2. pH souk has a stable pH on 6-9, or just about. My water is 7, and the soil (BioBizz All-Mix) is 6.9. I measure after feed, and so far it has been stable between 6.9-7.

3. More magnesium; yes probably. Although I gave it epsom salt last time I fed, new growth is still somewhat pale green in the morning (and darkens during the day). I will give it some more epsom salt next time I feed.
I did not know that dark leaves were a sign of magnesium deficiency. Thanks for the info!

4. No bugs. I have checked thoroughly.

Thanks again!
mike
"new growth is still somewhat pale green in the morning (and darkens during the day)."

That narrows it down a lot.

The growth is very good, which means it is a lamp issue.

I saw the same partial chlorosis of several leaves when we had the heatwave.

The solution is to raise the lights as much as possible, and maybe increase ventilation between the top of the plants and the lights, to keep the temperature down.

Also, the temperature under the lights is always a little higher than the general room temperature. So another solution could be to lower the temperature of the grow room.

mike_1956

"new growth is still somewhat pale green in the morning (and darkens during the day)."

That narrows it down a lot.

The growth is very good, which means it is a lamp issue.

I saw the same partial chlorosis of several leaves when we had the heatwave.

The solution is to raise the lights as much as possible, and maybe increase ventilation between the top of the plants and the lights, to keep the temperature down.

Also, the temperature under the lights is always a little higher than the general room temperature. So another solution could be to lower the temperature of the grow room.

Thank you for your reply!

I will definitely raise my lamp, and make sure that I have a fan to increase ventilation between it and top of the plants.
I will try and read up on heat/light burns. Very clever of you to spot this.

Thanks!
mike

Latest posts

Latest posts