What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nute deficiency?

Brashen42

Hi

I am currently growing a Lowryder #2 (Auto/Fem) in a PC case, it's just over 4 weeks old and started flowering at about 2 weeks in.

Started from seed in a Root Riot cube and after 3 days popped into 6l of Westland John Innes 2 Potting on Compost, which gives nutes for about 5 weeks.

At week 3 I started with 0.5ml of Bio Bloom per litre, when first watering with nutes I noticed a slight browning of leaf tips, which has developed into black areas on some of the leaves, could this be a deficiency?

A few more details:

Current Lights:4 x 24w 2700k CFLs and 1 x 13w 2700k LED (18/6)

Temps: Lowest is about 16C overnight, averages 24C-26C with lights on.

Run-off PH: 5.5 to 6.5 (strip colours aren't that conclusive)

Pics below, any info/criticism is welcome:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 19

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Hi

I am currently growing a Lowryder #2 (Auto/Fem) in a PC case, it's just over 4 weeks old and started flowering at about 2 weeks in.

Started from seed in a Root Riot cube and after 3 days popped into 6l of Westland John Innes 2 Potting on Compost, which gives nutes for about 5 weeks.

At week 3 I started with 0.5ml of Bio Bloom per litre, when first watering with nutes I noticed a slight browning of leaf tips, which has developed into black areas on some of the leaves, could this be a deficiency?

A few more details:

Current Lights:4 x 24w 2700k CFLs and 1 x 13w 2700k LED (18/6)

Temps: Lowest is about 16C overnight, averages 24C-26C with lights on.

Run-off PH: 5.5 to 6.5 (strip colours aren't that conclusive)

Pics below, any info/criticism is welcome:

View Image

View Image

View Image
Normally I would say nutrient deficiency, except that the plant is flowering.

She needs more: magnesium, potassium and nitrogen. Magnesium is obvious - deep green leaves, purple leaf stems; potassium for the branch growth during stacking and stronger stems when the buds get heavier; and nitrogen for the growth of the flowers. Also, if you repot, you allow more space for the root system to expand and support flower growth. Phosphorus stimulates root growth after repotting.

As the calyxes swell, she needs more silica and sulfur too, for the resin and terpenes.

Nutrient - Practical function * States of Growth

N = growth * vegging, flowering itself
P = roots * seedling, repotting, flowering (=massive root expansion)
K = stems & branches * seedling, vegging, flowering (stacking is a lot about branching on the bud)
Mg = leaves (chlorophyl, phototropism) * throughout the grow
Ca = cell division * flowering
Si = resin * mid-flowering onwards
S = terpenes * throughout grow, insect repellent, especially mid-flowering onwards
Trace = lots * throughout the grow, especially late flowering

This gives a clue as to what is needed and when.

Last edited:

Brashen42

Normally I would say nutrient deficiency, except that the plant is flowering.

She needs more: magnesium, potassium and nitrogen. Magnesium is obvious - deep green leaves, purple leaf stems; potassium for the branch growth during stacking and stronger stems when the buds get heavier; and nitrogen for the growth of the flowers. Also, if you repot, you allow more space for the root system to expand and support flower growth. Phosphorus stimulates root growth after repotting.

As the calyxes swell, she needs more silica and sulfur too, for the resin and terpenes.

Nutrient - Practical function * States of Growth

N = growth * vegging, flowering itself
P = roots * seedling, repotting, flowering (=massive root expansion)
K = stems & branches * seedling, vegging, flowering (stacking is a lot about branching on the bud)
Mg = leaves (chlorophyl, phototropism) * throughout the grow
Ca = cell division * flowering
Si = resin * mid-flowering onwards
S = terpenes * throughout grow, insect repellent, especially mid-flowering onwards
Trace = lots * throughout the grow, especially late flowering

This gives a clue as to what is needed and when.

Useful info, thank you!

I have about 4 weeks left I think, the case is pretty small, so repotting isn't an option this time, also heard that auto's are not fond of it, but, I'll be using a larger space next time around, so it's a consideration.

I'll pick up some epsom salts for the magnesium, may as well grab some blackstrap molasses too.

There is a type of volcanic rock dust I have seen which is used as a soil mix or top dressing, it contains MG/CG and a lot of trace elements, not sure if that is worth a crack on the next grow.