What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

Dog Star

Veteran
Its not pure Hashplant but cross of Amnesia Core cut X Old School Hashplant from Bodhi..
am like how this plants grows and their structure..

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Been a while since I've had an update on the Grape Ape x Bubblegum. Right now it's very frustrating because they are close to finishing, very dense nugs. Unfortunately it's been mild and wet with rain expected all day and cool temperatures all week. I'm very much tempted to chop now, hairs are changing color and caylxes are swelling. But I can tell they aren't finished yet.

There's two phenotypes, really three, but I only have pictures of the two. One is Grape Ape dominant. Dense dark green nugs with purpling around the edges.

The shape and smell are textbook Indica, classic example of a hashplant. The smell is quite sweet, grapey and hashy. So tasty it's so hard not to cut it down right now.

picture.php

picture.php

The other is more bubblegum dominate. Grape bubblegum smells with a hashy almost skunky ganja smell that is so attractive. Incredible. My friend always talked about making a bud holder for the nostrils so you could walk around smelling buds all day. This is the stuff I would pick.

picture.php

picture.php

She was the one with the death cabbage look when she was small. Ridiculously wide leaves. Maybe I should post some before and after pictures.

I can hear the rain pouring down now. A lot of people would hack it all. I haven't found any grey mold yet on either plant. She's an example of how Wide Leaf plants aren't necessarily mold prone. This is an excellent outdoor strain, good yield, finishes reasonably early.

What I worry about is if she become water logged. Once that happens it doesn't matter how resistant to mold a plant is, if it has big dense buds she'll rot. Going to be keeping a close eye and the clippers near.

therevverend

Veteran
Its not pure Hashplant but cross of Amnesia Core cut X Old School Hashplant from Bodhi..

Looks great. To me it looks like there's quite a bit of Hashplant coming through. Hopefully you'll be able to update some pics when it's done. I'm not familiar with the Core cut looks like it's a Haze Amnesia which is quite a large plant.

Crossing the two was a good idea, the Hashplant should shorten flowering times and make chunkier buds. The Amnesia should 'fix' the frontal lobe, headachey effects I found in the Old School Hashplant when it was fresh.

Dog Star

Veteran
Thanx for comment Therevverend.. so you tryed Old School Hashplant??

What kind of effects she bear,are OSH potent weed??

Kind regards

P.S.--- This cross stinks a lot,very pungent smell on branches but resin smell lemony..

therevverend

Veteran
Any strain that was originally cultivated for hashish production. Or, nowadays, was bred from strains used for hashish production. Most small potent Indicas are Hashplants but not all Hashplants are small potent Indicas. Most Indicas were originally hashplants.

Versus ganja strains which are bred to be consumed in bud form.

They tend to have high caylx to leaf ratios, dry resin that slides through screens instead of gumming it up. Sometimes the resin glands will be small to facilitate easy screening. These are generalities, there's lots of places where hashish is made from whatever plants happen to grow there. Like many parts of the Himalayas.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
What is a "hash plant" ?

I always thought of it as a small extremely potent Indica.

G `day SP

To me a hash plant is one that yields lots of resin easily .
Leaves and flowers have resin that can be collected .

A block of hash represents a field . All mixed together . Many variations together .

Not necessarily potent . Maroccan lucky to be 5% THC on the plants . Also CBD plants and mixed THC / CBD individuals .

Ganja plant the resin is less and concentrated on the flowers .

I look at a lot of modern hybrid plants and think yeah good for hash . Only way to harvest all the resin is making hash from the leaves .
Other wise you are discarding a lot of resin .

Old school sativa barely had a trich on the leaves .

In Asia seems Muslims smoke hash . Buddhists smoke ganja .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
G `day SP

Not necessarily potent . Maroccan lucky to be 5% THC on the plants . Also CBD plants and mixed THC / CBD individuals .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Several people have told me that the true Moroccan varieties (kif) have a low level of thc, and I have always been convinced that the North African-Mediterranean varieties are closely linked to the fiber hemp...

Hydro8

Most all of the "Hash" plants I have tried were very heavy and tended to have many of the negative effects (red eyes, drowsy, dry mouth). I would like to try some of the better ones.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Most all of the "Hash" plants I have tried were very heavy and tended to have many of the negative effects (red eyes, drowsy, dry mouth). I would like to try some of the better ones.

G `day H 8

Try some with different terpenes .
Different smell = different effect .

There are plenty of plants these days with very interesting smells that could be hashed .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

therevverend

Veteran
Out of the Hashplants I'd say Turkish strains were the hempiest. Moroccan strains have a reputation for being weak and the Moroccan hash I smoked back in the day wasn't very strong. But Morocco has a long tradition of kif production, which is ganja, so things there are complicated. It could be that when commercial hashish production began Lebanese hash makers and strains were imported and hybridized with the kif plants. Making an inferior product. I don't know.

Lebanon has a history of hashish production and a reputation for high quality. Their techniques for making hashish have been at a high level. Lebanese hash plants aren't particularly strong by themselves.

I think a lot of the Middle Eastern hashish plants had high amounts of CBD and other cannabinoids other then THC. In small amounts by themselves they're weak but once they're concentrated and smoked the sum becomes greater then the parts.

Elmer makes good points I started talking about 'modern hashish strains' earlier. The Grape Ape x Bubblegum is a good one. A big improvement on some of the older hashish strains without the bad effects Hydro8 is talking about. Has good pain relief medicinal effects, a fruity delicious taste, and happy mildly psychedelic effects without any couch lock or drowsiness. But it's also a throwback not that different from the good old Afghan strains. I'll talk about modern hashplants with pictures showing resinous leaves soon.

-BRR-

Good thread!

While we're on it whats the practical diferences between kushes and afghani's ?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Good thread!

While we're on it whats the practical diferences between kushes and afghani's ?

You talk about REAL hindu kush? Not og kush & Co....
Well, hindu kush strains coming from this area between Afghanistan and Pakistan,while the afghani #1 is a mix of strains of Afghanistan collected if I'm not mistaken by Sam (or Mel? Now I do not remember well)and they are usually slightly faster than kush.
It must be said that there are also other Afghans and not all are the classic indica bush, strains like Mazara, the shariffs appear as 50/50 Indi-Sat and are long flowering ....

therevverend

Veteran
People forget that Afghanistan is a huge country with lots of variation in elevation which creates lots of different climate zones. Marar-i-Shariff is in northern Afghanistan near the border with Uzebekistan and is the lowest lying major city in the country. Which is why strains from the region tend to be longer flowering and different from Hindu Kush strains.

The Hindu Kush range runs East West from central Afghanistan to the border with China and Pakistan. Chitrali strains from Pakistan are Kush strains. The mountains are ridiculously high, the foothills are 14000 feet up to 25,000 near Chitral.

Now everyone calls their strains Kush it's annoying because they're California hybrids. OG Kush should be OG California. Before the OG Kush craze if someone had a Kush it really was from the Hindu Kush.

The best was Purple Kush. In the 90s it would go for $350 an ounce in Seattle. It was a lot like my Grape Ape x Bubblegum, rock hard Indica nugs that had fruity and danky notes. Crystal on a stick. A couple hits and you'd be baked all day. I'd love to come across one of the old Purple Kush strains.

therevverend

Veteran
It's mold season we've had a wet fall, the worst in several years. The weather has gotten unpredictable over the last 20 years. After days of shaking the water off the plants and cursing the fog and rain we've had a few days of sun with more in the week's forecast. I'd have preferred to have it a few days earlier it would have saved me quite a few buds but I'll take what I can get this time of year. And the getting is getting good.
I've payed the toll for all the rain. I've had two plants get hit hard which isn't bad considering all the hashplants I'm growing. I've got two Funkberries, one without mold and one with mold on every large cola. Literally every big bud on the plant has been ruined. It's a beautiful plant turning dark purple with huge dense nugs.

It's the least mold resistant plant I"ve seen since Deep Chunk. Mold comes down to surface area. Chunky buds where the majority of the plant material is inside the bud hold much more water then a bud with a large surface area allowing the water to evaporate or fall off the outside. This Funkberry holds more water then any I've seen. Hasn't rained since Tuesday and it's still damp inside and still rotting.

It sucks because commercially it is ideal. Very heavy nugs, beautiful purple nugs with a deep Afghani hash slight berry flavor. It's a beautiful example of a Hashplant. The breeding is Shishkaberry x Mt Rainier. Mt Rainier is Northern Lights #5 x White Lotus. It's hashplant crossed with hashplant with a couple other hashplants tossed in. Looking forward to sampling it I'm guessing psychedelic religious epiphanies leading to sweet dreams and a sound night's sleep.

I've been struggling to take close up shots with my camera along with the low position of the sun in the sky. Here's a couple of my less blurry pics hopefully in the next few days I'll get some better ones.

picture.php

picture.php

I apologize again for the blurriness but it give you an idea of the structure.

The other plant to get hit hard by boytritis was one of my Bubblegum x Bubblegums. Both of them have some mold but the smaller one is similar to the Funkberry in that almost every major cola has some rot in it. Even so I let it finish instead of harvesting early.

Which gives the illusion of a large cannabis plant covered in perfectly mature big colas sopping with resin and smelling wonderful. Until you look carefully at the colas and tear one open. And see that there's mold right up through the center ruining it. It is interesting how the plant finishes flowering and continues producing resin even though technically it's already dead.

Once again surface area is to blame. Very dense tight colas smelling of delicious bubblegum once they get wet they can't dissipate the water back into the atmosphere. There may also be something genetic to it but no matter how resistant a plant is once it's flower are soaked without UV radiation for a few days they'll rot.

Regardless I'm happy I let it finish instead of harvesting it early. The smaller buds are all perfectly ripe and much bigger and frostier then before the rain. The last few days of sun are making a huge difference. Here's a shot of the big double Bubblegum. It was almost 12 feet tall now it's more like 8 feet from the wind and water wait during the storms. Here's a picture of my ultimately futile attempts to prop the plant back up.

picture.php

Shows you what water plus maturing colas can do to a plant or should I say tree. That stem or should I say trunk is something else. Here's a picture from the front showing some fat fat colas.

picture.php

She's a beast. She has much less mold then her sister but I'm finding a few infected colas. She's definitely a hybrid but predominately Indica so maybe she squeaks by as a hashplant. The dense colas certainly aren't the kind you find on narrow leaf strains.

therevverend

Veteran
Oh yeah it'll be a lot more then hash. It's ruined a lot of big major top nugs but spared the smaller ones. Which makes for a lot of nice smoke although it sucks to lose the big colas. I was pissed today found my huge top nug of the Faux G Purple (Purple Urkle x Fake OG) was totally ruined, mold up through the middle even though the outside looked beautiful. Heartbreaking to lose but most of the smaller nugs, and by smaller I don't mean popcorn I mean good medium sized chunkies, were good. I'm not growing Urkle because she's late and mold prone. Her daughter inherited both to some degree. Here's a pic of a good one.

picture.php

Messed with my phone and got some nice pics of the Funkberry and Double Bubblegum. Here's the Funk. She's the non-moldy one I'm surprised I haven't one bit yet. (knock on wood) Of course she isn't done yet so..

picture.php

picture.php

And the funky rotten funkberry. I really could cry I'm sure the other half of this bud is totally rotten and gross. I don't know if you can see the difference between this one and the clean non-moldy one in the pictures above. This one is like a sponge.

picture.php

And the Double Bubblegum. I like how the hairs are pink she has a pink bubblegum smell and aura.

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
Wow more sunny days the season keeps rolling along. Normally I'm harvested and done by now but it's been a weird year. Grey mold everywhere. I think every plant has been at least touched. It's a trial by fire seeing what can take it and what can't. Especially with a garden full of Hashplants.

The Dank Zappa is one of the winners and I'm sure the Lemon Hashplant will be as well. The Zapp is about finished I wacked the top today.

picture.php

picture.php

I had to remove a couple chunks of rot out of the middle of the big cola but most of it was okay. In a wet year you lose a lot of main colas. Yield on the Zappa is good nice thick hashplant nugs. Can't wait to try her.

Here's a shot of my favorite Pot of Gold HP phenotype.

picture.php

Smells beautiful just like how it looks. Rose hash with a touch of cleaner. Turning all purple. I'm nervous about how much mold I'll find when I cut the top.

The bud I fertilized for seeds rotted. I had to cut it out and got immature seeds. There were a couple green looking larger ones that looked like they might sprout. I'm hoping the rest of the bud is well fertilized and is finishing up right now.

I'd hate to lose the phenotype it's my favorite Pot of Gold HP so far. I'm a bit disappointed by the range of variation I'm seeing in the strain. They're all beautiful Indica Hashplants no real indication of narrow leaf ancestry but they've obviously been hybridized at some point. All I can do is breed the best I can with what I have. I'm going to select for the super frosty pheno.

Although I have yet to see a bad phenotype. Here's another one.

picture.php

Smells like amazing hashish this is the one I've photographed the most. Took the top down found chunks of grey mold but plenty of chunks of beautiful resin coated nugs. I'm going to have to watch it in the drying room I'd hate to see it turn to grey sludge. Last year I had hardly any mold this year has been a lesson about being happy with what I have.

Overall I've done pretty well. I've spent a lot of time cursing and throwing rotten nugs on the ground but nothing compared to my friend. I've posted pics of his plants earlier. He's the best grower I've ever known and has lost half his crop.

He lives closer to the mountains although it's still in the lowlands. He spent all summer growing beautiful plants with incredible smells. Babying them along. Up until September 30th everything was perfect. Now he's salvaging what he can.

My last visit was depressing but he had some amazing nugs that'd make most growers jealous. I got a pic of his White Russian x OG Kush. Lost at least 30% to mold.

picture.php

The smell is wonderful White Russian which has a very distinct white creamy hash smell. I prefer it to White Widow. I suspect the strain already has weak immunity to mold but it was growing in a naturally wetter area. Even so he's still happy he's got what he's salvaged and it's beautiful cannabis.

White Russian is White Widow x AK 47. I've never believed the story that White Widow is Brazilian x South Indian. They give it away by then saying it's an Indica hybrid. Brazil and Kerala are near or at the equator where flowering times are much longer. If it has Brazilian or Keralan in it there isn't much. The plant is an obvious hashplant. Short and squat, wide leaves and high resin to leaf ratio. But people like a story behind their seeds and everyone wants sativas so poof pow White Widow is a sativa..

therevverend

Veteran
less you touch squeeze smell nugs rub sugar leaves the less it will mold too.

Yes that's a very important point I don't know about smelling but a nug should never be touched or squeezed before/during/after harvest. Unless you're making hand rubbed hashish. To quote Robert Connell Clarke: More floral clusters are ruined after harvest by poor handling then any other factor.

It never ceases to amaze me how otherwise skilled growers will spend 8 months devotedly caring for their plants only to hack and jam them in a paper bag. Squeezing, grabbing, pinching, snuffling, I've seen it all. Then they dry it with heaters in 3 days and off to market. These people will argue up and down that their cannabis is the best in the world it's all very silly.

I know in some of the pictures it looks like I'm grabbing but I'm being very careful to only brush against the outer leaves. The hand is for scale, to show how large the cola is. It may look like goofus in the picture above (the neighborhood alcoholic who'd had a few beers before noon) is manhandling the cola but it's purely for show and entertainment purposes. He knows better. Any time I have someone new helping I have to go over it. Two or three times.

A friend of mine volunteered to help field strip the fan leaves. I explained what to do, two or three times because he speaks Spanish, to care for it like a baby. He starts out okay but after 20 minutes I look in the collection box and there's smushed colas. Sure enough he's grabbing by the bud instead of the stem. He caught on after that one time. I was impressed I didn't find a bunch of minibud all over the ground when he was through.

Speaking of spreading mold I had something unbelievably horrible happen the other day. I had cut a top cola that was full of dried out mold. I foolishly cut into it with the clippers to remove the mold. The thing exploded like a mold bomb. It looked like someone had expelled a huge bong hit except the cloud was much much bigger then a person could make. The cloud hung over my patch slowly blowing over it for 5 minutes until it dissipated. If there hadn't been another person there watching it I would have thought it was my imagination. Unbelievable.

I'm tired of mold but at least most of the harvest is clean. The mold bomb sucked but considering the time of year and the weather I know every bud has been exposed to mold spores. Whether the bud rots or lives depends on it's own resistance. I know cannabis flowers produce their own antibiotic resins plus the many of the plants have natural immunity like a human's immune system. I tend to look at growing as a student, always learning more about the plant and I feel that despite the stress and loss I've learned more this year then any other year I've grown.

On that note here's another picture of the Pot of Gold Hashplant I was unable to post yesterday. Showing her big fat nugs.

picture.php