What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hashplants

Easy7

Veteran
Whatever is rare, will be legend and desired. Doesn't make it truth. But even legends when discovered can become boring.

I liked indica cause my cab could only grow 28" plants. Plus a shorter growing season. Someone who only likes indica, or sativa, or this or that, doesn't like weed. A beer drinker can drink any beer. But a brewer brews what they desire most. So here anything over 70 days is kinda stupid here, unless you have a heated greenhouse. That or run it inside. Which is hard cause a sativa flowers for ever, is super picky, and blows the roof off the tent/room!

I just haven't came across any sativa or mood for that herb that really justifies a 100+ day flowering op. There just isn't the seed on the market by good breeders for what I'm familar with. Some good pure thai, some pure mexican, durban poison. These days when I buy a bean, it's for damn good reason other than hope.

therevverend

Veteran
Good points over the years sativas have tended to get winnowed out or hybridized. Tropical sativas do best under tropical sun. Indoors they're a shadow of their glory. I'm sure it's a large part of why oftentimes they lack the punch of hybrids or Indicas.
It's true that the rareness and legendary status makes many of these strains more desirable. And the inability to grow them properly indoors only adds to the demand. Which the budtenders are only too happy to satisfy with weaker copycats and hybrids. Many people who are lightweights gravitate towards these strains and decide they're sativa guys. They don't realize that if they smoked a tropical psychedelic Thai or Columbian they would piss themselves. When I meet an old hippy who says he loves sativas it means something completely different then a 19 year old kid.

therevverend

Veteran
When the Sativa revolution started 10 years ago it was a revelation. 20 years of selecting against long flowering narrow leaf cultivars had depleted the number of Sativa strains available. Very few seed companies carried Sativas and the Sativas available were mostly crappy and had been around for 20 years.

The strains people wanted were bag appealing, easy to grow, short flowering hybrids with a mediocre high. I remember looking at a Cannabiogen catalog and getting excited to see so many strains I never would have been able to get. I bought some seeds from Seeds of Compassion, pretty sure from one of the breeders. He was an old hippy guy who was super enthusiastic about his sativa collection. He had amazing stuff.

Now this trend has gone full circle, the snake has swallowed it's tail. If you go to retail store there's plenty of slightly longer flowering, bag appealing, easy to grow hybrids that have a mediocre high that meets people's demand for sativas.

Fortunately for us growers the sativa revolution hasn't ended. Looking around here there's no end to awesome long flowering tropical varieties that were unavailable 15 years ago. It's great to see a grower-connoisseur trend reach fruition. It's pretty god damn amazing is what it is.

But this thread is about Hashplants! When are we going to see the Hashhplant revolution? Seed companies offering Persian, Egyptian,
Turkish, Uzbek, Indian, Azeri, Turkmen, hashplants! Not knockoffs but the real thing.

Part of the problem, my friend knows an Iranian guy. Asked him for seeds. His answer was why would you want our seeds? They suck. The stuff over here is much better.

I've heard Mexicans say the same thing.

therevverend

Veteran
Time for pictures.

Today we get a few pics of what I consider modern hashplants. Bred in the US from hybrids that are specifically bred for high resin content. They're great smoked as flowers. They're also great for making extracts, sift, water hash, or whatever. The flowers are caked in huge amounts of resin.

I've been trying to get Shishkaberry ever since my friend lost the strain 15 years ago. Amazing berry flavored varieties, strawberry, raspberry, coated in crystals. It may not be quite a true hashplant but it's close.

I have failed so far but I did pick up some seeds of Funkberry. I think there's more then one strain called Funkberry. The one I got was by THC Development Seed Company.
They've crossed Mt Rainier (RedEye Genetics) x Shishkaberry. Mt. Rainier is Northern Lights #5 x White Lotus. White Lotus is Bodhi's breeding, The White x Snow Lotus. I have a White Lotus and it just showed female. I'll post a pic of her once she gets a little bigger.

picture.php

The bushiness is interesting, reminds me of Shishkaberry. I am afraid she is looking very male, I am tempted to dig her up and replace her with a female. She is growing so vigorously I really don't want to do it. I will be praying to Ganja Goddess that she sprouts a couple white hairs but I'm not optimistic. Preflowers are looking more ballsy every day.

It's a stressful time of year. Every couple days something either looks more male or pops a couple hairs. A whacked a Sinai today, he was going into full on flowering. I've got another male Sinai, I don't want to use the Autoflower one. I know I'm going to second guess myself but I don't need a Landrace strain blowing pollen everywhere is not what I need.

Here's a Sour Pez by La Plata:

picture.php

The Sour Pez started out small, all of them fell behind the other plants. This one is catching up and it has a pistil to seal the deal. Excited to see how she turns out. Should have a reasonably quick flowering time and A LOT of crystals. The breeder description recommends her for concentrates so I think she qualifies as sort of a Hashplant.

Next up is Durango OG. Another La Plata labs variety the breeder notes contain mention of an extreme amount of resin. Which is what I want to hear. She also contains quite a bit of Bubba Kush genes which is probably the most hashplant of the popular strains going around. Some of them are a bit doinky but this one is female and cranking out the fatty leaves.

picture.php

I'm almost scared by how funky and potentially resinous she looks.

Last edited:

barefrog

Hola Gang

I was wandering if the hplant
bodhi give you was some Kashmir

I sent him some seed to work with
Really resinous and uplifting for
a hashplant.
I felt just like the kashmir hash
of the 70
The g13hp88 is also very very good
from NDN

Bare

therevverend

Veteran
No the Bodhi Hashplants I have are all g13hp88. I have a few other strains I've bought that contain the Snow Lotus. None of them are crossed with a Kashmir strain.

Kashmir used to be such a wonderful place. It was where the sifted style of hashmaking to the west met the hand rubbed style of the east. I believe at one time both techniques were used in Kashmir.

Terrible that it's torn by war I feel awful for the Muslims that are repressed by the Hindu army and I feel awful for the Hindus that used to live there that had to flee for the lives. For centuries both groups got along in peace. I don't want this to turn into who oppressed who and who escalated which conflict. Mistakes were made.

It's sad that their differences couldn't be solved by sharing and understanding each other. The region has been poisoned by religious fanatics no matter what the outcome it will not be what is best for all the people of Kashmir.

Cannabis is the one link in the area that both religious groups share in common. It may be a dream that doesn't reflect reality but it would be wonderful if cannabis could bring the fractured country together again.

I'm guessing Kashmiri strains are hard to come by. I'd love to try Kashmiri hashish and ganja. You're very lucky to have tried it in the good old days and to have seeds.

Himalayan hashish is often described as uplifting. If you have pictures of the strain or hashish and descriptions of the plant that would be great.

Anyone is free to post pictures or descriptions of Hashplants they've seen and/or grown. For a while in the 90s it seemed like sifted hashish would be the Next Big Thing. I've seen pounds of resin powder in the old medical dispensaries. I imagined the next step would be marketed pressed sifted hashish from all the different strains. Would have been fun to see.

Now everyone is so jacked on extracts it's not going to happen. Which is a shame. Extracts have their place and I know people enjoy them but I've always preferred sift.

Might be an odd question but this relates to hash, that hash cake from a plant so here we go.

We used to get this stuff from the Mendo area 2 strains specifically called Ingrid and lavender/purple kush. Still to this day the best weed I’ve seen or smoked to date. Neither advertised as “hashplant” but the hash they produced was unlike anything I’ve ever run through bags. The resin heads were visibly massive. Filled up the 160 bag with melty goodness, 120 bag was good too. All the normal “full melt” sizes were broken heads and lower quality stuff. These were ideal hash plants IMO. Yield was fantastic. Though this was a decade ago and those notes are long gone.

Were these unusually large heads the result of an amazing grower or the strain and why have I never seen or heard of buds like this since? If this is more strain dependent can someone point me in the right direction? The Ingrid had this smell to it I’ve only smelled a couple times since hard to describe but the hash it produced was fantastic and I’d love to have this one in my pocket for bubble runs. I have a feeling the grower is mostly responsible however I’d love to give it my best shot.

therevverend

Veteran
Resin gland size is strain dependent. But the grower is a factor and can bring out the best the genetics have to offer. I've seen hash made in places like Morocco where the gland size was very small and poorly developed. This was also a characteristic of the original Moroccan landrace strain. Sinsemilla tends to have larger gland size then unseeded.

Hashplants often have different types of resin then strains grown for ganja. I had some buds from Old School Hashplant I hadn't trimmed. Put a few in my kief box and spent a few minutes cleaning them up. When I was done there was a pile of golden resin in my box. Wouldn't happen with most strains.

The resin gland stickiness is a big variable as well. How much it sticks to your fingers, whether it gums up your screen or floats right through it.

As far as Mendo strains with big resin glands Purple Giant had the biggest I've ever seen. The resin glands were huge pushing 180 microns. It got me in the habit of getting screens larger then 150 microns. I'm sure there's other strains with huge glands but Mendo purple strains have some of the biggest.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day T Rev

I`m familiar with Pez s1s and Pez crosses .
She`s an old clone from up around Seattle . Good yielder , old school NL type . Watch out for botyritis if it gets wet during flower .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

barefrog

Hola Gang

That Kashmiri is from
Khuiratta..district ..Azad
its 3 hrs walk from the Himalaya
I will redo some seed this winter
I sent so many to people in the
state am almost out.

Bare

therevverend

Veteran
G `day T Rev

I`m familiar with Pez s1s and Pez crosses .
She`s an old clone from up around Seattle . Good yielder , old school NL type . Watch out for botyritis if it gets wet during flower .

Thanks for sharin

Cool. I'm almost certain the Pez was a particularly good version of Northern Lights. Most sources now list it as coming from Lopez Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington state. Thus the name 'Pez. I saw quite a bit of it in Seattle in the late 90s. It was nice stuff. There's a couple threads around here about it.

The one in the Sour Pez cross is Pink Pez which is Pez crossed with Sour Pink Grapefruit. I'm excited about it. So far the plants have been a small compared to the explosive growth of the Mendocino strains but that's not surprising. The female I photographed is shoulders above the other ones I started.

therevverend

Veteran
Here's some pictures of the explosive growth. This is the Lemon Hashplant. Not from Mendocino but still very explosive.

picture.php

It's looking very male. I have two big ones in the ground and a back up in the container. None have sexed yet despite the size. Two are looking especially male. This one is close to being dug up and moved to the Boy's Club. But still only preflowers I can hope..

Here's a Pot of Gold Hashplant. No sex yet.

picture.php

I'm certain this strain as the least amount of Sativa. Not that the other hashplants have much at all but this one is almost 100%. The breeder in Mendocino said there may have been accidents over the years, pollen from other strains that contained sativa may have strayed. Almost entirely inbred though. Here's another Pot of Gold, really like her look.

picture.php

Huge leaves. Here's the other Lemon Hashplant. I like this picture because you can see all the bushy lower growth. If I topped it, it'd turn into a mess.

picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
I'm still curious about the Kashmiri hashplants, for instance how long they takes to flower. There's lots of variability in finishing time for Northern Indian strains. Many varieties push into November while other strains can finish in late August/September. It sounds like you did a good job of distributing the seeds to people it'd be nice to see the fruits of your generosity.

In Robert Connell Clarke's fabulous book Hashish! there's a picture of Kashmiri hashish pressed in corn husks. I regret loaning the book to someone. I can't remember who it was and it's long gone. So I bought it again and guess what-long gone. Maybe I should scrape together some funds and purchase it again.

When the book came out in the 90s it taught me lots of technical information and changed the way I thought about hashish making. I'd been making crude sifted powder lightly pressed but Hashish! got me interested in water techniques, re-sieving and using multiple sieves of different micron size.

Because it's that time of year and we like looking at ganja plants here's a picture of Bubblegum x Bubblegum. The Bubblegum used in the Purple Looie and Grape Ape hybrids. Maybe I haven't covered Purple Looie yet I'll mention her in a future post. Looey is another awesome purple Mendocino variety.

I've known the Mendocino Bubblegum I have isn't the real Indiana Bubblegum. The breeder took a fancy seed bank Bubblegum and crossed it by Donkey Dick. Donkey Dick is probably an Island Skunk variety from BC. She packs the bulk and vigor onto the Bubblegum. The strain grows quickly. She showed a couple hairs so I know I know she's a fem.

picture.php

She doesn't look super Indica definitely a hybrid. Indiana Bubblegum is suppose to be all Indica and Donkey Dick as well but I smell sativa in the woodshed. Plenty of reasons not to trust strain descriptions without actually growing the plant out.

In my opinion Donkey Dick has a fair amount of sativa she has a perfumey type of smell and a structure that doesn't seem that Indica. I can't call her a hashplant but I can call her a beauty. I have to give credit to the breeder they've done an amazing job with these strains. There's a reason Mendocino has the reputation it does.

therevverend

Veteran
In the Bodhi sharing thread over in Seedbay there's a picture of Kandahar x Kashmir. Very colorful looks amazing. This is probably your Kashmiri, Barefrog. I was going to send you a PM about it but you need 50 posts to send or receive PMs.

barefrog

Hola

I would not be surprise
I still have some of the
original seeds 2004 I think
I made a reproduction 2010
then another one in 2016.

Bodhi did alot of work with
it, I am glad I giveth to him
I do not have room /time to
do all the work + am getting old

I love that stone its the closest
thing I found from real hash.

Bare

therevverend

Veteran
Patty Cake Patty Cake Hashish Man

picture.php

The purpose of growing hashplants is to make hashish. Ganja is tasty but real dry sifted garda pressed is the best use for hash plants. (Garda is resin powder-I prefer to use the eastern term garda in this thread.
The words keef or keefing will not be used. Keefing refers to removing resin powder from cannabis flowers-either purposely or accidentally-which are then either resold or smoked. Keef refers to the mixture of resin powder, plant material, and dust that gather in the bottom of a Keef collection box used to store flowers.)

picture.php

I understand why other types of extraction are popular. The tools and methods to make them are fairly simple, they are extremely potent, they can be quickly mass produced. The rec shops sell the stuff all day.

I'll always prefer dry sift and in my opinion it is vastly superior to all other forms of extraction. There is skill involved in the other extraction methods but making the best dry sift is an art form. There's a huge range of quality involved.

I've even made garda from stems, surprisingly there can be quite a bit of resin on cannabis stalks. After I re-sifted it through a few screens it was just as good as hashish made from trim.

At the high end I've made full melt dry sift. Takes some re-sifting especially at the 50 micron level to remove dust.

I used dry ice and screens to make this hashish. Dry ice makes hashish making easy. Otherwise I'd be waiting for a cold day in winter. I don't like sifting on warm summer days. I did a little sift at 50 microns but not much. Used a 150 micron screen. It's not full melt but tastes amazing and does the trick. I've been feeling good and sleeping well the last few days.

picture.php

To press I wrapped the resin powder with saran wrap. Then I hand pressed it. So sticky it immediately pressed together. Wasn't as tight as I like so I left a metal sheet pan out in the 85 degree F sun. I also left a 20 lb weight in the sun.

After an hour i put the weight on top of the garda. Then I stood on top of the weight. Then I waited half an hour. Then I did an almost-handstand on top of the weight. Then I stood on it again. When I opened the saran wrap it was nasty! Skanky funky foul terpene overload.

The other piece I pressed at night so I used a different method. Pressed it then wrapped it in saran wrap airtight. Then I put it in a saucepan with the hottest tap water I could get. Left it in there for about 30 seconds. Then I put the 20 lb weight on top of it. After another minute I unwrapped it and it was like you saw it.

A lot of times I just hand press. Wash your hands in very hot water, quickly dry them, then press the garda. Work it for a bit. Depending on the hashish it can be quite blonde. Takes quite a bit of rubbing and pressing and squeezing to turn color. Getting the hash to turn darker is fun and looks cool but it does smash the gland heads and ruin some terpenes. I've never noticed a drop in potency but if I was a purist I'd only hand press.

If anyone else has makes hashish, pictures of hashish, how to make hashish, sifting of resins or whatever post away. And pictures of the plants the hashish was made from. It's the reason for the breeding of hashplants.

Huesos

Hola Amigos! Really good to hear of the Kashmir Barefrog.

Love the pics and stories behind them therevverent.

Hashmaking is pretty new to me.

Part of an old line called Hawaiians x Bubba Kush went to hash. Man she smoked real good and great flavor. Now I’m hooked big time.

Sativa hash rocks too by combining a number of jars of Vietnamese Black, Jamaican Lambsbread, Colombian Mangobiches, and one or two others. The great electric vibe of the VB and others lit my face up that seemed as if glowing in the dark lol. The smoke experience changed my focus to search for the best buds to make hash.

The sativa hash is just about right. My interest now is indica hashplants. Good to hear info on the Kashmir.

therevverend

Veteran
Huesos is correct about Sativa hashish's awesomeness. There's no rule you have to use wide leaf phenotypes in hash making. Sometimes the micron size can vary a bit, 150 microns is the standard but I've seen sativas down to 90 or lower. I've seen purple Indicas in the 180 range. Dialing into the resin gland size is a nice touch.
It's been a couple weeks time for some Hashplant progress. Unfortunately the sun hasn't been cooperating. When your camera's autoflash goes off at noon you know it's cloudy.
Regardless they haven't stopped growing. I've been feeding them plenty of magnesium, potassium, calcium, and the like. Fed them liquefied fish, full of N. Immediate reaction they love the stuff. Incredible seeing the difference 18 hours later.
As a veteran of the US school system it reminds me of the old story about the first English colony in America. They teach, or taught, the story to us all at Thanksgiving in 3rd or 2nd or 4th grade. The Jamestown colonists were starving to death and the loyal Indians taught them how to feed themselves by planting corn. So they wouldn't have to steal it from the Indians any more.
For every corn plant they planted they placed a fish in the ground underneath. The fish supplied the nutrition to grow their corn tall and bushy. Those Indians knew their shit, my ganja is getting tall and bushy despite the lack of sun.
Here's a pick of a Dank Zappa:

picture.php

I know she looks good but she's actually been a disappointment. Despite getting the same treatment as her neighbors she lacks vigor. Here's a wider shot of her besides a Pot of Gold Hashplant:

picture.php

Runty and lacks the branching. I know commercial growers who'd cull her or at least quit on the strain. I'm thinking she may be more of an indoor strain. I know how awesome the ganja is but is it really better then the other plants? Will she stack on the weight once she starts flowering? Will her neighbors continue outgrowing her, shade her out into mold-ridden obscurity?
If you want to know what happens to Dank Zappa, you must read the next chapter.
Here's a closer look at the Pot of Gold Hashplant:

picture.php

Tall bushy and vigorous. She's putting on some huge wide leaves. Last year she had a big yield but leafy flowers. I'm planning on pruning her a bit to keep her under control.
Here's the Lemon Hashplant:

picture.php

Towers over the Dank Zappa. Similar size to Pot of Gold Hashplants. Love the bushiness, fat leaves though not as fat as Pot of Gold. She's a keeper. Her brother is a similar size and bushiness, that's a keeper male.
The big ladies are pushing 6 feet. And as wide as they are tall. It's good considering how inconsistent the weather has been. They've been in the ground over a month now.
Conventional wisdom is that Afghani Hashplants are usually short with very little branching. If you look at pictures of the original Hashplants from the 70s they're always 3-5 feet tall. Deep Chunk is a good example.
When I look at modern pictures of US soldiers wading through Hashplant fields with their rifles the plants are bigger and bushier. Most are about head high. These are still small compared to California Hashplants.
There are a few pictures of nice plants, big pine tree types. There's a few pictures of entire fields like this. Dark green and healthy. I'm guessing these are 7-9 feet tall. Quite bushy.
My hashplants are mostly hybrids, showing hybrid vigor. I think they'd outgrow most Afghan plants. Afghan plants have much more sun but probably less water and fertilizer. Some Afghan farmers are kicking ass, they can afford fertilizer and water considering how big and healthy their plants look.
Of course this is all speculation. I'm thinking the small, branchless strains that came over in the 60s and 70s were only one strain out of dozens. It was probably drought resistant and finished early. These easily concealed plants were probably selected by growers for these traits and for hybridization.

therevverend

Veteran
The Hashplants are coming along nicely. They're beginning to tuck, the first sign of flowering. By tuck I mean instead of throwing out new shoots from the nodes they're fattening, storing energy for the stretch, and producing more white hairs. For me it's the time I switch from nitrogen dominate fertilizers to P and K dominate. And begin the molasses regime.
Checked out my friend's medical garden. His plants are in the full sun with a lot more space then mine. Here's a photo of one of his Pot of Gold Hashplants. Really like the look of it. Very bushy for a full Indica.

picture.php

She is stacked but only five feet tall.
In my last post itmight have sounded like I was putting down Dank Zappa. I was trying to say that for growers trying to maximize their yield from 15 plants, it may not be their first pick. Dank may not be the largest plant in the garden but she's bushy and beautiful. She's hit 6 feet and is catching up with the other strains.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The bushiness of these Hashplants is impressive. Everyone thinks of Hashplants as small and branchless. These plants don't get huge, I expect the limit would be 9 feet but they get wide and bushy.
No one called me out on the bullshit I wrote, 'Dear Reader' and 'if you want to know...read the next chapter'. It's a reference to The Journey West, ancient Chinese legend about a monk from China traveling to India to bring back holy Buddhist scriptures. I've got a halfway decent version published in the 1950's for kids so it's perfect for me.
It's based on historical events around 600 CE. Why it's relevant here, sutras weren't the only thing making the journey over the Himalayas. Kung Fu is said to have originated in India. Meditation techniques journeyed back and forth over the mountains as did silk worms. And why not cannabis?
Cannabis was cultivated on both sides of the Himalayas for thousands of years. Buddhist monks on pilgrimage would have been the perfect vehicle for spreading new seeds, new strains. And spreading information about medical usage, hashish making tech, oil making, textiles, to Buddhist countries beyond China like Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Japan where cannabis is an important part of traditional culture.

Last edited: