What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

wanting to start, have 2.5 mill capital ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rykus

15 lamps will not cut it.... Won't pay for shit in building expanding, won't be enough work to addequetly train even 1 employee and is the fast track to loosing investor interest and creating a bad environment for learning..... You ever see a tattoo by the guy that learned at home by himself..... Yeah me too.... MMJ is an apprentice based career by word of mouth, extremely hush hush for those out of tight circles, and that guy saying 2+ every time at the pub is probably not your guy...

Face it guys, the building will be way cheaper to do right once, the electrical will be ways safer and cheaper done properly the first time, all the inspections for sprinklers, alarms,cameras, remote activated security doors and safe room bank style all are better too have in and running before filled with grey area legitimate MMJ.....

You NEED some one with experience building the type of exact rooms you plan too use before outside building is constructed, bad dimensions or poorly laid out air circulation/cooling will break you on crucial first crops. Long runs for power AC ect cost more lose effeciancy ,You need the rooms to work, and the AC and electrical to be well designed and well installed, if possible get the rooms running for a week + before even using. At this level it's not efficient to play and build as you go, you need to set up and plan with a full schedule before even starting, planting and planning for at least 50 lights every 2 weeks or you won't be able to support the cash out laid and growth and training personnel.

It's like any project, just hire good people and have them work together openly, the grower AC guy and electrician should be able to sit down and quickly be on the same page or you will quickly see who isn't up to the level your planning to operate, if that person is the grower or the AC guy u r in trouble... The electrician will just make it confusing and expensive if not up on grow/greenhouse style wiring with flips and climate integration, but better if all know enough to contribute and smart enough to listen and learn and work together.

That's the big thing though is getting those good people BEFORE the land is even looked at...designing a building and plan with requirements will help finding land where. This will be to or work with local code.easilly as or more important than being able to access funding and liquid credit to assets is getting a good team on board from day 1.

When I look at big things like this I see a lot of money tied up in one huge asset that is pretty high risk, and 100% dependant on more than my own total commitment.... Even higher risk, and that means any cloud in judgement of character or ability is a make or break thing, I would expect as a minimum that every one in one of those positions was a up to the task, and b was well rewarded or seeing enough potential and progress to stay on track....

This is serious money, and there's a line between people working for cash, and people working for percent that both have assets and draw backs if production is on track.... People work harder for the percent unless it drags on.... Then they won't give a fuck and will build resentment.... Pay hourly well and they will work not as hard but will stayin it longer, but if it looks like a cash cow fast they might build that entitled attitude and talk or resent and sub consciously undermine... Not to be weird but honestly. People a weird and your future will depend heavily on your ability to recocgnize people that are under qualified or feeling under appreciated if they are qualified.

The bigger the room the more effecient it is to set up, less timers fans ac's and walls is all a bunch less gear and building stuff to buy, and bigger spaces stay more consistent in all levels, just cutting once a month or more is ideal to spread work load and save space on drying/curing and have consistent cash for expenses and wages.

In my experience over do the AC, and plan a lot of safety back ups like high temp shut offs and daily monitoring for problems, and remember small commercial is 100 lights or its. Not worth the upgrade from just avoiding the hassle and doing less legit smaller thing on private land.... Cost is to high to not do that and 1 person should easily be able to hand water a hundred lights and do 80+% of work other than trimming.... If not they def not up to investing millions into, lol. Like I said 400 lights is one grower, head of plant work, head of trimming staff and 4-5 minions under plant and trim sections. Best to keep em apart if possible so they aren't talking sharing stories from work at the pub.that is minimum of minimums I would do if taking on this kind of stress.... Otherwise better off doing a 20 light flip at home and throwing a couple outside every summer, make the same $ with no head aches and no depending on other people for survival,lol.

I liked the challenge but it wasn't for me, bunch of back stabbing wanna bee's trying to cheat and lie their way into a low effort high paying job that in reality doesn't exist....without. Bankrupting the company.... But they'll just move on and leave you with the bill so best be up front and sharp...

rykus

I wouldn't use anyone coming to you asking for a job either, figure out someone you think could do it and try and figure out what it would take to get that person involved and personally and financially attached..... Seriously, having that first year with the build and first couple crops are key and you would probably be better offering up some imaginary possible money for some real experience/connections/driven organization that a established grower could bring in, real money is in it actually happening.

Great thread for the responses. Some of you get it and it is apparent. We can't help those who don't, as was said already, so good luck figuring it out (trial and error is expensive at scale). One added piece of advice, especially for those calculating bottom lines: if you don't have good lobbyists (state and fed), be prepared to get legislated out of existence. The legal market works just like any other; the rules are written by those in the room--and those rooms are invite only.

CoCoSativas

Hi guys,

got funding for 2.5 mill, can get up to 3 if need be, but looking for info one some basic things:

-what is usual payback time, as in how long does each mill take to receive back in profit?

-maybe there is a simple count of light per pricing, but looking to see what is usual cost per lamp for the building construction, from my view point the highest asset is the building laying out correctly

-whats you point of view for state that has the best place to set down roots?

-the competitors, what is the usual competitor? huge investors, or small guys trying to make it big time?

-what is the usual layout of big investors, how many millions do they usual invest?

-has anyone looked into the future to see when flooding the market happens, and what will happen to all the businesses?

-thoughts off the top of the head how many lights 2.5 million is gonna do? I was thinking 200 as the building is going to be the main costs with plumbing, electrical, HVAC, and such.. and when I say this not some cheap shit put together ram shackle, something that would be featured in forbes for " professional operation" sorta build,,

I have some ideas to save money such as electric bills, but I am a closet grower wanting to go big, bu have to see how the investment side runs and if it is worthwhile to get into the game, love growing but never run something like this ever

thanks

I wouldn't go advertising I have that kinda money around. First thing any commercial guy knows keep it to yourself. People get jealous and Rob folkw. I wouldn't put that on the internet, who knows how devoted people are to finding and ripping growers.

Sounds like way too much for a closet grower. Try a basement full first with 30 lights. I used to live good off 4 lights.

With that kind of money why not retire and grow all the bud you could want for yourself. You got money why bother trying to go above your head?

Not being rude just my point of view

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
buy 1.5 million lottery tickets...yeehaw ...your chances are better...large scale growing aint hard if you do your homework...or maybe invest in some education first..i did my 4 years and then some...worth every penny...I started with commercial tomatoes and got bored fast,then flowers, then sold it all and do small scale mj ....

Lots of haters in here.

So if he goes broke, what the fuck does that matter to you? Seems to me a lot of you are jealous you don't have that kind of backing...

It's not fucking rocket surgery to grow weed fellas. What it does take is money, and it seems he has it.

I wish you the best of luck.

The rest of this "community" should do the fucking same, instead of acting like a bunch of fucking women, talking about a hot girls outfit.

I thought we were here to forward the advancement of the plant and the industry?

Anyone else here sacking up with 2.5M to do that???

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19554423/420-Cannabis-Boulavard-Carbondale-CO/

I'd find myself another 1.5, and buy this!

Last edited:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
yup,, know just enough to be dangerous...a guy can do rather well off smaller setups with less overhead/...I once ran several small grows as their easier to set up ,,,,,and greenhouses and guerilla once..i sometimes would fall asleep in a grow '''..I made plenty of cash didn't have to split my money with anyone other than some help now and then trimming ....i didn't let anyone know where my spots were other than my greenhouse but it was guarded by dogs....i aint a hater the right person can absolutely do it ....are you the right person???? yeehaw/ growing stuff comes natural to me and i also went to school for it ..been around horticulture all my life from farms/nurseries/orchards/cranberry bogs ect...

Pangea

Veteran
I'm with Bobby, we dont know the full details so why not help him out in the way he asked. He didnt ask if he should do it at all.

Its a fun thought experiment at the least.

If your set on going legal, Id take a look at how many new licenses are building warehouses versus greenhouses. Indoor is going Dodo.

Finding some nice ag land, privacy, size, water, electricity, soil, sunshine, rainfall, ease of access and required additional infrastructure/permits, are all important factors to weigh. This is the most important piece of the puzzle in my opinion.

I'd focus on quality and quantity while minimizing costs and labor. Meaning one main crop per year, with flowering initiated around the solstice.

I would build three greenhouses, two for isolated flowering(breeding and sensi flowers) and the third for mothers and processing cuttings High capacity HEPA positive pressure filtered. 3 x 6K sqft for roughly $3-400K

The commercial crop would be cultivated under a retractable curtain structure with three layers of curtains; blackout, insect, and rain. This will also serve as the drying area. 100K sqft for $800-$1200K

The processing structure would be an indoor area where post processing is done, so depending on your end product you would be trimming or hashing hardcore in here, as well as storage, packaging and labeling. Youd also have a office and lab incorporated as well. Size and cost of this structure is tricky as many variables with location and permits etc, but say roughly 5k sqft @ $20/sqft for construction.

Equipment for processing is also a harder one to nail down due to personal preferences, but if it where me, Id be looking into bulk sifters, and coconut oil infusion equipment. A few analytical tools for cannabinoid and terps and a bunch of ancillary items.

Distribution, sales and packaging equipment and supplies.

Your labor costs are temp type work during spring planting and fall harvesting with a minimal grower crew for daily maintenance. Highly variable cost.

Inputs and equipment, you'll need a tractor a tiller or harrow attachment, a row maker and compost turner at the least. Which would be used to make the soil and rows in the curtain structure(can drive tractor around in it) I'd shoot for 2-4000 yards for rows in a 100K area.
Irrigation would be pretty simple for long and narrow rows with metered drip tubing.

Simple single bamboo at most for support, as I'd going for smaller plants, roughly 100 grams each, and 20,000 of them, 5-20 bullet proof varieties. I'd shoot for 5% full melt sift(92.6%-99% pure heads), sell it for $10/gram, and coconut oil infuse the under and overs and sell it for $1/1000mg THC + coconut oil cost. 100,000g of sift, and 400,000g THC.
Others might be inclined to blast it all and get the 400kilos of BHO, or trim it and get the 2t of flower, to each their own.

Also having a few acres or plots of naturally flowering outdoor cultivars is a must in addition to the focused/forced crop, planted from seed if you dont have the capacity or ability for mass cuttings.
Should not cost much more than a regularly cultivated field crop of hemp seed, though one should put a little more effort than say a larger hemp farmer might be more inclined to.

-

Expanded a little bit from my previous post.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
take a nice trip to an island and think it over on the beach ha

This is always a good idea when you're not sure what you should do.

From experience I will say that the hardest thing about running a larger operation for me was learning to manage people. Lots of us have been what I'd call kings of our own castles for a long time. We do what we want, how we want, and answer to no one. So when you find yourself working with investors, that immediately changes.

What I learned from my experience that saw me dealing with paperwork more than plants, is that I want to be in the garden. Even if that means that I don't own everything, or that I have someone I answer to. It just doesn't make me happy to push paperwork. That's a big part of what legal business consists of.

It's a super gamble right now to build mega facilities, as there is no federal protection to say that your investment is legal on that level. I know of someone in the bay with a dispensary and large multi-million dollar grow that recently received an order to shut down the facility(which they had not yet recouped on). It was only because of their experience, political connections, lobbyists, etc...that they were able to convince the city to not go through with it. He could take that loss, but I don't know one other person that could.

Best of luck. I'll be in the Philippines(surfing/beach bumming) for the next month taking some time to think about how this business is changing and what it means for me. If you'd like a recommendation for a great beach send me a pm! :)

Bwanabud

Best of luck. I'll be in the Philippines(surfing/beach bumming) for the next month taking some time to think about how this business is changing and what it means for me. If you'd like a recommendation for a great beach send me a pm! :)

Enjoy :)

I'm leaving next week for 3 1/2 weeks of fun on the beach in the West Indies,,,relax, drink, smoke, chill.

Guess some of us aren't doing this business thing right huh ? :biggrin:

Phases

I think if anyone could be giving advice or insight about construction and business of large scale grows it would be bwanabud,

He definitely knows his shit and has a lot of education and experience to back it up,

Just had to throw that in there,

I guess I have a hard time believing that anyone is going to give a small scale grower with no business background 2.5 million- it doesn't seem realistic and if that is the case - it's one hell of a gamble

Status
Not open for further replies.