What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amber in 15 minutes from cutting

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how much material can you wash in say 1litre before you reach some kind of saturation point.
i was thinking of using this method out in the guerilla, ex 1 big 30-40L milk jar and just cut of branches and stick them in the spirit filled jar one by one until the crop was all washed, to get rid of the drying process, the point is just hvo much material i can get washed before i actually draw up more resin than i add when sticking a branch in the jar for washing.

Not answerable with out more info, as the starting material has a significant effect on the outcome. We do a similar thing using a 10" teaball and denatured alcohol to extract oil from fan leaves and stems, and judge by color.

gunnaknow

Hey CFP, it's good to see you over here. As GW said, it's not really enough information to go on. You can take a look at this post by Jump, who quoted something that I wrote a couple of years ago. That was another thing about jump, he was good at supporting other people's ideas aswel as coming up with his own.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=4378554#post4378554

Don't take the figures too literally because there are many variables to take into account. You wouldn't really want to push the solvency to it's limit either because the extraction rate would drastically slow as you approached it. I'd say that if your plants were of decent potency and contained roughly 10% THC when dried, then 1 liter of ethanol would be enough to comfortably extract atleast 100g of dry bud, or atleast 500g undried. That isn't taking into account the absorption loss, so you'd have to assess the loss and account for it. The other thing that you can do is re-soak the plants in water afterwards, to recapture much of the absorbed alcohol. See Jump's thread below for more info.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=104345

gunnaknow

Thanks for the good thoughts bro! Plenty of honoraries to pass around for all involved in developing and sharing techniques, with a measure due ICMag for providing the platform that allows us to do so. Kudos and accolades to all who share and to ICMag!!

Indeed GW, it's a good idea to inform your pupils of the origins of the techniques, as it's part of the history. The origins of the thermos method may be a little too complicated to tell your pupils in full because it was mainly down to three individuals. I was probably the first to document the method, Nirex then added holes in the flask's lid to come up with the design that you're familiar with and Jump then did much of the experimental and demonstrative work that was required to educate the masses. All three of us came up with the idea independently as it happens and then collaborated with eachother. I doubt that your pupils would really care too much about that though, they'd just want to experiment and make the techniques their own. I find the idea refreshing, as that's what it's really all about.

I sincerely agree that Jump has contributed more to various forums than has generally been recognized and observed, which is why I try to make sure the fokels understand that he is one of my own prime resources.

I sometimes think of him as being the Chief Editor of many good ideas. He takes many good ideas from himself and elsewhere and then adds value to them by incorporating them together to create something comprehensive. Not many are willing to put the time and energy in to do this. You'd be one of the exceptions also GW.

That last part has been a godsend, in that they too are sharing with us, so the teacher also remains the student.

That sounds like the kind of thing that a Dao or Zen master would say. Teaching is really a relative role because the teacher is learning just as much as the pupils. Even if the pupils know nothing, the teacher learns from them how to be more patient and giving.

I'm thinking that the next logical step, is to hold an extraction and alchemy symposium, with invites to all who wish to attend and share! Maybe an anual hoopla, somewhere safe for all to attend and participate! Hee, hee, hee..............

That's a great idea, GW. You could have brandy and blunts afterwards! :biggrin:

JColtrane

^ nice to hear the history of it all gunnaknow. I started poking my head around here about four years ago. Jump's posts inspired me to make the extraction I make today :)

Anyways I always direct folks to this forum, because the openness of sharing here is awesome. On other forums people have more of a "dick waving contest" attitude, and are too much about winning awards or cups, lol

This year I plan to document and share more in this forum instead of just being in the back round ... I respect GW's work to educate, and I look forward to taking a class!

Bravo to the icmag!!! :thank you:

gunnaknow

I'm glad that you found it interesting, JC. I'm not sure why we've been talking about the thermos method in this ethanol extraction thread, lol! Perhaps it's because this thread and the AA thread have some cross-over in everyone's minds. Jump's AA thread also involved the use of ethanol and it probably made this thread seem in some ways like a prelude to his AA thread. One of the reasons that I'm very fond of this thread is because Jump also started this thread on another forum, where he and I had some great conversations. It was fun to be a part of. Cheers Jump!

jump117

Veteran
Cheers Jump!
Cheers Gunna! :thank you:

Once more let me go in your footsteps.:)
you can bleach the dissolved extract in sunlight, which denatures the chlorophyll but not the carotenoids, turning the extract red.
The reason that sunlight turns dark oleoresins red seems to be because it degrades other pigments like chlorophyll much more readily and therefore helps to reveal the previously hidden carotenoid pigments. Here's a little experiment that I did with some salad leaves and water of all things.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3569503#post3569503
left in sunlight, the chlorophyll will degrade alot faster than the carotenoids. I'm not sure how quickly the anthocyanins degrade in comparison but I suspect that it's considerably slower than chlorophyll. This was a little experiment that I did with some salad leaves a few years ago. I'd be interested to hear your future findings.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=3569503#post3569503

You can break down some of the green chlorophyl by setting the jar of green alcohol in strong sunlight or under a grow lamp for a few hours.
Hey Gray Wolf!

To watch this colorful phenomenon, I prepared a solution of chlorophyll in ethanol (three minutes at room temperature)
of the material left after 90 minutes of soaking in butane -20C.

Mmm, chlorophyll and fertilizer flavored Everclear, yummy! :)
:laughing:

In a few hours in the sun greens became honey-ginger-red.

picture.php

After evaporation, red proved to be thicker and denser than green.
Together with the color sun improved consistency.

I did not photograph them, both were small and almost black.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cheers Gunna! :thank you:

Once more let me go in your footsteps.:)

Hey Gray Wolf!

To watch this colorful phenomenon, I prepared a solution of chlorophyll in ethanol (three minutes at room temperature)
of the material left after 90 minutes of soaking in butane -20C.

:laughing:

In a few hours in the sun greens became honey-ginger-red.

View Image

After evaporation, red proved to be thicker and denser than green.
Together with the color sun improved consistency.

I did not photograph them, both were small and almost black.

Good experiment Jumpsan! We have regularly used the sun to bleach out light green pigments and it works slick.

Jump you never stop amazing me with all your great in depth post!! keep on a keepin on man awesome. Just made a run using 10 grams bubble hash we shall see how it turns out.

420Johnny

where do i get spirit?
Make friends with someone that works in a distillery , I get 196 proof clear straight from a plant that makes Vodka here in Maine. It's much better then commercial spirits or everclear, the taste is worlds apart.. no taste at all fresh from distillery, everclear always has an after taste.

The closest I can get grain alcohol or clear is 5 hr drive to Connecticut which ain't happening. You can also order spirit and everclear through several mail order companies that sell wine. Mailed right to your front door, drivers license required to receive package.

Top6a

Excellent themes. Thanks to the author!
It's really easier to find ethyl alcohol than isopropyl alcohol.
I ordered 2 liters of that and that - I'll try.:dance013: