What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has moisture been introduced to my solvent tank

Eastcoaststrang

I’d like to start by saying I’m a long time lurker and have learned bibles worth of things here. I recently have been given a pretty cool opportunity to work on some projects, which means I have to really bulk up and put in double time to take advantage of it. So thanks for any help down the line.. on to my first silly question. I’m having a guy walk me through his cls that his last lab guy worked on who ended up leaving. I was going to put it together and give it a run, but the first thing he did was accidentally budge the needle relief port on my newly filled solvent tank opening It a little. I’m now wondering if only butane shot out, or air/moisture got sucked in. I know it’s a silly newb question but I’ve actually never opened my solvent tank to atmosphere after filling her up. I was always careful lol. Should I dump the tank and start all over? There’s about 10# of tane in it right now. And I do have a safe place to dump that volume.

troutman

Seed Whore
I haven't used a solvent tank. But if I did, I would attach a drying chamber immediately to the tank
before anything else. This way no gas could enter or leave the tank without being 1st dried.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also, tank was sitting at 50 psi. Hoping it was just butane pushing out and no vacuum sucking back in

If the contained solvent is above it's boiling point, and you open the vapor port, vapor will discharge, open the liquid dip tube port, and liquid will discharge. If you are uncertain whether air entered your tank, burp it; open the vapor port with the solvent above it's boiling point and discharge vapor to the outdoors until you're discharging only solvent vapor, your guess is as good as mine as to how long that takes, several seconds to a couple of minutes.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’d like to start by saying I’m a long time lurker and have learned bibles worth of things here. I recently have been given a pretty cool opportunity to work on some projects, which means I have to really bulk up and put in double time to take advantage of it. So thanks for any help down the line.. on to my first silly question. I’m having a guy walk me through his cls that his last lab guy worked on who ended up leaving. I was going to put it together and give it a run, but the first thing he did was accidentally budge the needle relief port on my newly filled solvent tank opening It a little. I’m now wondering if only butane shot out, or air/moisture got sucked in. I know it’s a silly newb question but I’ve actually never opened my solvent tank to atmosphere after filling her up. I was always careful lol. Should I dump the tank and start all over? There’s about 10# of tane in it right now. And I do have a safe place to dump that volume.

Without discussing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, the answer is no air or moisture is aspirated when you crack the valve with the tank under pressure.

If it is used LPG, it may already have atmosphere or water in it, so you might turn the tank upside down, let it sit for thirty minutes or so, and crack the vapor valve to blow out any water.

To vent atmosphere, chill the tank down to below its boiling point sitting upright, and crack the vapor valve to vent any atmosphere. You should be able to tell by a sound shift, when the atmosphere is gone and you are venting vapors, because the atmosphere will be compressed and the vapors won't.

Latest posts

Latest posts